How to enforce number of guests

How to enforce number of guests

I would like to hear from the community on how they enforce the number of guests booked.  I am so discouraged when people lie about that.  We don't charge extra for extra people, nor do we charge extra on the cleaning fee, but still guests lie about the number in their group.  Does anyone have suggestions on how they enforce the number when it's a self check-in.  Thanks in advance....

6 Replies 6
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Ellen-And-Ruben0  🙂

When writing to your guest you could ask about the number and names of the people who will stay. Say it is because of insurance issues. Then state in your houserules that only registered guests are allowed on the property. Fine 1000 dollars or something like that. 

Maybe that could solve the problem?

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Ellen-And-Ruben0 Also houserules in general are quite important. It sets expectations but also bounderies. 

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Ellen-And-Ruben0 Also houserules in general are quite important. It sets expectations but also bounderies.

And sorry about my poor english! 🙂 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

You must state how many guest you allow other wise that will happen some guest know how to bend the rules,

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Soory, you must charge for extra guest I put the fee quiet high that stops it

Thomas1033
Level 10
North Tonawanda, NY

Hi, we initially had a nightly rate which was to include up to 5 guests.  We are only set up to accommodate 5 guests.  Several times in the first 2 months there were more than 5 guests.  Under extra guest charge it said no fee for extra guests which was really poor wording on Airbnb’s part.  So now we changed our rates and charge for over 2 guests but still only want 5 maximum.  In our rules there is now a $100 charge per person per night for more than 5 guests which Airbnb said they will enforce.  Our apartment is above our heads and sometimes you’d think there were a heard of Elephants up there.  We have sucked it up and not said a thing in the past allowing ourselves to be taken advantage of and basically there was no way to stop it.  Our very first guests asked if they could bring 6 and we said okay because we wanted guests.  They brought 7 total including a 3 or 4 year old “infant” lol.  Several times we have had 2 distinct families and “infants” cram themselves in.  Since the $100 threat it hasn’t happened.  Hope that helps.  Yvonna (cohost)