How to get notified of public responses to our reviews of guests

Cat-Phuong0
Level 7
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

How to get notified of public responses to our reviews of guests

Hello the Community,

We recently discovered that 2 of our worst guests, who had gotten bad reviews from us, had posted public responses.

Unsurprisingly, to protest instead of reflecting on their bad behaviours ...

Bad guests always have excuses to be much worse than the majority, we have consistently observed.

But we were never notified of these public responses. Only by opening their profiles by curiosity, we saw them.

Is there a way to receive notifications for these?

Thanks.

Cat & Alex

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Cat-Phuong0  You want to be notified if there is a public response to your reviews?  If you have an idea for a change in the platform, you could post in the Host Voice and other hosts can support your idea.  Enough support and the idea is forwarded to the Air BNB tech team.

Personally, I don't care because the guest public response is on their page, not my page.  

Cat-Phuong0
Level 7

Yes, I know, it's on the guest's profile, not on ours.

But since they reply to us, I think it would be good to be notified.

I will submit the idea.

Btw, when we reply to a review from a guest, do we talk to the guest, the public, or both?

I personally talk to both, but what about you?

@Cat-Phuong0  Just as you as a host don't get notification that a guest has left a response to your review, the guest also doesn't receive notification, as far as I'm aware, and most will probably never see that you've left a response, as it appears on your review page, not theirs.

So leaving a response for a good guest, thanking them, isn't really necessary, as you've already, presumably, left them a good review. It would be more for future guests' benefit, to make you look like an appreciative host.

And if you are responding to a bad guest's bad review, or complaints in a review, you should definitely not address the guest. In that case, you would respond only to correct misinformation for future guests, or to indicate you have corrected something that the guest had a legitimate complaint about.

So: "The check-in issues this guest complains about were due to his failure to read the clear information that was sent to him, and all our guests, re which door to enter and how to work the door lock. Smooth check-in has never been a problem for any of our other guests."

Or: " I appreciate being made aware that the living room window was stuck shut, although we would have addressed that during the stay had the guest contacted us about it. We've done the necessary repairs and that is no longer an issue."

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Cat-Phuong0 I personally prefer not to know what kind of response that my guest leaves to my review because it is not significant to my hosting experience moving forward. I want to be *done* with bad guests as soon as I can and do not want to have any more connection if possible. Why do you want/care about their response? You cannot respond to it anyway + it is only shown on their profile page and their response is for them to explain the situation from their perspective/to defend themselves. If these bad guests of yours respond negatively to your negative review, that will show future hosts on how they handle this kind of situation.

Cat-Phuong0
Level 7

I see your point and that's probably better for our mental health to forget bad guests asap.

Actually I was more thinking about public responses from good guests. I suppose it doesn't happen often, because it's not a business for them. But I also think that really nice people like to thank in general.

If a host writes beautiful comments about me as a guest, I like to write something in return. Courtesy.

@Farah1  @Cat-Phuong0  @Linda108  Farah gets the bonus points for her answer.

if it works why fix it

after a while responding to reviews becomes a few short sentences of thank you.

and we hope to host you again.

just saying,

Salim79
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

I agree with @Cat-Phuong0 that notification for responses is a good idea. After all, those responses are to you and to them! Even if the interaction ends after that, it can provide closure to some of us.
@Bruce43This is not a question of fixing something that is broken, it's about adding a useful feature.