How to handle guest asking for a price reduction AFTER staying

Joi0
Level 3
Blacksburg, VA

How to handle guest asking for a price reduction AFTER staying

A couple months ago I had a guest make a reservation for my house in Virginia for somewhere between 9-13 people. My rate for that weekend was a set weekend rate and NOT based upon the number of guests. He did not question the rate and the booking was made smoothly.

The group ended up being 8 people. They came, stayed and left. They made no complaints during their stay. Several days after their stay the guest said they loved the house and had a great time and then asked me for an approximately 50% refund based upon the fact that he only had 8 people stay at the house. He said his friends had "sticker shock" when he asked them to pay him back for their 1/8th of the cost of the weekend. He is basing his request on a line in my listing description which describes the lower end of the range of prices possible. (Copied here, my listing states: "PRICE INFO: Rates vary from $299/night and up. Football weekends are $895/night. Base rate of 299/night is for a family of 5. Additional guests are 25/night. This does NOT apply to football weekends or other peak dates.")

The guest is arguing that it was not a "peak" weekend so the "peak" rate shoud not apply to him. He wants to apply the lower rate. AFTER staying at the house. I thought as the host, I get to decide what weekends are peak. And my calendar replects that.

I declined his request but offered him $100 as a consolation because I do understand that his friends are disappointed.

He declined the $100 and has now also submitted a list of complaints about the property.

So now he is arguing that I should refund half the money based on my listing description being "misleading and confusing" and also several complaints abou the house. He made no complaints during his stay.

What is the best response? Do I argue with all his points? Do I send him more money? Do I decline his request and ask for airbnb to step in?

I have never had a group complain about my pricing. I have had groups ask for a discount BEFORE booking, and I usually am as flexible with that as I am able to be. I have great reviews and the complaints he made about the house seem to be coming up now that he is not getting his refund which is very upsetting to me.

This group took good care of the house and followed all the house rules, but they also showed up unannounced 4 hours before their check in time when my cleaners were still working on the house. I didn't make a big deal about it and allowed them to come early.

I am not thick skinned and maybe this guy knows it. I want to keep him happy. But I also want to do what is "fair" to both of us.

Thanks for your input!

15 Replies 15
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Joi0   You have recieved a great deal of host feedback.  I hope this has been helpful.  We all have to make decisions in responding to guest requirements.  Let us know what happens