How to keep a bad guest from rebooking

Marcia213
Level 2
Denver, CO

How to keep a bad guest from rebooking

I've just had my first experience with a bad guest and I'm getting ready for another one. 

The first guest was outside making noise and smoking cigarettes at 2,3, even 4 o'clock in the morning.  I stressed that while they were very nice people, they would be better suited for a hotel and I requested that they not book with me again as I had changed my policy to no smoking on the property, not just inside.  I think they will abide by that.

My next one is a repeat guest who is returning this week and is already telling me they want to come again next March.  I gave them a good review on the last visit even though they left the place a little dirtier than most and they didn't follow directions very well - seemed like minor things.  The guest contacted me again this week and was asking for better pricing since it was going to be "only her" this time.  I had a cancelation at the last minute so was looking at no booking for the time she wanted, so I gave her a significantly discounted price.  One minute after she finished booking she informed me that her son would be staying there one night.  So that means they will use the fold-out and I'll have another set of linens to wash, iron, etc.  I requested and received the $15 fee for the extra person (she groused about it first), but I feel like she played me by not being upfront on who was staying there.  The $15 in no way compensates me for the extra time I will spend and I feel that the bond of trust between guest and host has been broken.

Is there any way to block a particular guest if you have instant booking?  I expect that I will be nice through her visit, wait for her to write her review and then write a thumbs down review for her and send her a private message to please not book with me again.  Is that the right way to handle this?

Do more experienced host not do instant booking?  It seems like I might be getting more bookings with it.

Any advice from those more experienced would be appreciated.

21 Replies 21
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

If you give her a thumbs down review she can't book with you again. You should also be able to block her by clicking the red flag on her profile to "report this guest" -- although this feature seems to sometimes allow blocking and sometimes not.

Thank you!  That's just what I needed to know!  Is there somewhere I can find these tips (other than here)?  I'm sure there's a lot of things I don't know.  Marcia

@Marcia213 google "airbnb help <your question>" is usually pretty effective.

Or just direct message @Letti0 she knows everything there is to know.  🙂  Airbnb should have her on salary.

Problem is that the guest seems nice but when you read the review you realized they are lying.  so you can't change your review to thumbs down because you already posted. and "reporting this guest" will not work because it is only related to race ....... and anything is protected by the law.  There is no option to block someone.  I already talked to Airbnb Support they told me to send feedback to Airbnb and let them know about to put additional things like blocking the guest from rebooking.  to airbnb.com/help/feedback

I had a guest give me one star for accuracy.  The issue was that I didn't provide laundry card when they arrive, but in my listing, it clearly states to contact host before arriving.   The sad part is that I have 8 pages of information on my listing.   So accuracy is the last thing that I should be blame for.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Lisa723   The flag/report is working again, but you can only block them if you choose something else. Annoying. 

but something else doesn't give you the option to blcok.

I have the same question, they told me to send feedback to Airbnb and let them know to put additional things like blocking the guest from rebooking.  to airbnb.com/help/feedback

Lily182
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

Hello... I want to block guests  from re-booking if they have given me an unfair / poor rating with the star system.  As a SuperHost, I can't risk the unfair rating system and for that reason, I don't want to have those guests back.  I think Airbnb needs to explain to guests how the star rating system hurts us... but regardless...

I have instant booking turned on but don't want to those guests to book again.  I followed the advice to from above to click on the flag and then "something else",  but then I get this weird notice.  Am I doing it wrong?

I don't know how to actually block someone.

I get this message when clicking on the Flag, then Something else..... 

What’s happening?
󰀘 This will only be shared with Airbnb.
What’s happening?

1. I’m concerned they’re hosting in my neighbourhood

2. Something on this page is broken

BUT HOW DO I BLOCK THEM FROM BOOKING WITH ME AGAIN. 
Unfortunately, I always give people a good review as a guest.  So they have already been given my 5 stars.  No opportunity to go back and give "thumbs down"?

I have the same issue, they told me to send feedback to Airbnb and let them know to put additional things like blocking the guest from rebooking.  to airbnb.com/help/feedback

Unfortunately, I think some guests take advanatage and when they get a great discount, start to wonder what else they can get.   It's a bit of a red flag too if they don't follow the rules very well.  

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Marcia213

If you give less than 4 stars  to the guest in some category of the review, the guest will not be able to instantly book your listing again. (eg. If you give 3 star on cleaneness)

If the guest is too bad and you do not want to recommend him, mark thumbs down as well.

but giving thumbs down can only happen when you know something is wrong and you can during your rating process.  But if they didn't give you any indication, there is no way to change your review.  and no way to blck them.

Eric1259
Level 2
Millbrae, CA

IF YOU WANT TO BLOCK A GUEST FROM REBOOKING WITH YOU.

you have to send in your feedback to airbnb.com/help/feedback. and request this option to be made available to host.

Because it didn't give me the option to block them from future booking under "Report User",   It only give the following option. the first option is I think they’re scamming or spamming me, the second option is They’re being offensive, the third option is Something else. When I choose the third option it gives me "I’m concerned they’re hosting in my neighborhood" and "Something on this page is broken" that's it.

in my feedback I told Airbnb there should be more option than those two. I think host have the right to block bad guest. And as long as not a race and ....... things that are protected by the law. But have that one guest not able to book with the same host, it does not limit their choice where they can book.

especially it is a done deal, after they check out. They can't says we discriminate against them. They stay and left. It's not like we block them as a new guest (never stay at the property), or even before they check in. or during their stay. So blocking them from coming back in legal standpoint should be safe.

Lorraine80
Level 2
Wakefield, United Kingdom

I have just had my first disappointmet with a guest.  I say disappointment because I can't put my finger on why I did'nt enjoy him staying with me. Firstly he asked if he could arrive early.  I said yes.  Secondly when he arrived I asked him where he had parked as his car was not in fromt of my house he said next door.  I asked him to move his car in front of my house and he said "Why". I trust that guests will be as nice to hosts as we are to them.  I explained I did'nt want any fallout with my neighbour.  He said I have spoken with your neighbour and he said "its alright".  I called my husband to come home as I felt uncomfortable and in front of my husband asked him again to move his car which he did.  I then talked to my neighbour and he said he never had a conversation about parking with him.  When I had shown him his room I asked if he would like a drink and he said Tea which I made for him I went to put white sugar in and he said "do you have brown sugar?" I said yes then I went to put milk in and he asked if I had semi skimmed and again I replied yes.  He asked if I did breakfast and I replied yes but I really need to know pre arrival.  He asked how much and I said £5 he replied he was on a tight budget but thenwent on reel off what he would like, vegetarian sausause, hash browns etc.  I replied I do not have any of that available.  The following morning he came down and I made him a coffee and we had a chat.  At 12.30pm, my checking out time is 12 noon, which i confirmed the day before with him when he asked, and asked for another coffee.  I said I'm sorry I really need to get on with my day as I have a guest coming this evening.  He then turned around and said well is it ok if I leave my car here as Im going into town and will pick it up later, I said yes as he caught me unaware but when he left I thought what if I have another guest with a car this evening?  but how do you say NO.  He said he would leave a good review for me as if he was doing me a favour at this point I just wanted him to go. I would like to be able to block him coming back without his knowledge that it is a block.  Airbnb should provide a system where you can block by just showing them you are booked when they try to book with you.