I am a recent retired widow and would like to supplement my income by opening an airbnb

I am a recent retired widow and would like to supplement my income by opening an airbnb

I know nothing aout operating an Airbnb and am asking for help in getting started.

I have the accomodations, but do not know the hidden details of listing ,  pricing and what to expect 

in general to get started.  Any advice would be appreciated.

5 Replies 5
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Hi @Brenda501 

What country are you in? Perhaps someone has country specific advice?

Your Airbnb can be whatever you want to make it! 

When I started two & a half years ago I read all the listings in my local area, to see what other hosts do, & what they offer. I also read all their reviews to see what sort of guests visit my area, tourists, workers, mountain climbers & cyclists, short stays, 1 night stays..., and what they said they liked about my 'rivals'. Or disliked. And I read the hosts' reviews of the guests.... I all gives a picture of what the market is. - Copy the good!

Actually composing the listing is easy on the website, you just fill in the boxes & a few paragraphs where prompted. It's good to be honest about any minus points that guests might find fault with (like a shared bathroom) & not make exaggerated claims for your place, so that guests are not disappointed. Some say ' Under promise & over deliver.' Be guided by other listings in your area re price. Some hosts start out under charging to get a few good reviews on their profile - then raise prices later.Or offer special offers to the first three to book.....

Include plenty of photos - every room the guests have access to, and the outside, plus yard & garden if applicable.

You don't say whether you want to rent a separate unit or room(s) in your own house.- If you rent separate rooms to different people within one house, you need a separate listing for each one.

For me the two most important things are:

1. Describe your place accurately.

2. Price appropriately.

Good luck!

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

Take it slowly, step by step. The listing itself has already suggestions on what amenities to have. If you can afford, buy them. Take enough pictures. Write descriptions the way you feel, later on you can adjust them according to your experiences with the guests.

Don't accept Airbnb price suggestions! Make sure that calendar is updated. I suggest that you do not put anywhere in your profile or descriptions that you are a newbie as some people can take advantage of you.

Instead write something like this: hi, my name is Brenda. I recently retired and I would like to concentrate on something that I always liked - hosting. I love to meet different people and I have lived in my city x years. I can give you helpful tips where to go and what to do in my area.

Lastly, have enough bedsheets, towels and toilet paper 😂 Seriously work on your House rules, they are very important. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Brenda501  so sorry you are now on your own - and for the loss  of your husband.....I hope you have wonderful sweet memories to draw from to help give you peace..................... I am sure I can not imagine what all you are going through.. however, I do know what I'm fairly sure is the best answer for you with your question about starting a business as an Airbnb host. 

KNOWLEDGE.....go online, Google, Youtube .... Airbnb has all the rules and info you need to know about Airbnb all the stuff really important......Learnairbnb.com,   STRuniversity - read, makes notes and learn all you can BEFORE you begin to even think to make your listing, photos and all that. Many people think that is all there is to hosting...is making a listing, photos and guessing what to do for all that hosting is about......this is incorrect and we see/read all the struggles with that approach and learning the hard way. I took 4 months and read, watched videos and learned as much as I could to prepare me to be a host a little over 2 yrs ago when I retired, (a forced early retirement) due to traumatic life events. 

I have done really well, my business is thriving and I am the leader in our community for Airbnb Hosts and I moderate our FB group and I read/study some each day to keep learning and growing my knowledge............because there are many ways to host and if you can avoid situations and things ahead of time WHY NOT? 

In your learning you will read - that people will want more when you bend your rules. When you make rules DO NOT BEND THEM.....

So I do not give early check ins/ late check out

I do not do IB instant book - that's when your calendar is set and if a day is open people can book. I have it so that anyone staying MUST ask me to stay here. I have a cottage behind our home, totally private and so I begin a dialogue with the guests and I ask a few questions....like What brings you to Pensacola?  Who's traveling with you? Are you smokers? Those questions are critical for me to know for hosting - as my place is a NO SMOKING PROPERTY.....and I DO NOT BOOK LOCAL PEOPLE! important cause in almost 100% of cases locals want to do illegal, or improper things/ party or something they don't want to do in their own home. Or they are homeless and then its possible a squatter. 

This is just a few things I think are the critical stuff when considering hosting with real forethought. 

I recommend doing it. Also, many hosts on here have helped me so much -esp. when I got in situations where I didn't know how to respond or what to do...... BUT a few have some ideas that are NOT Airbnb correct and are aggressive, emotional and bring poor results.

I would say MOST important thing to learn to do as a HOST  is learn to Host without being emotional ......not easy for many of us, esp.me. I mean Don't take it personal............when the sheets get stained, when they leave lights on and A/C on when gone with total disregard, throw trash on the floor 1 ft from the trash can - its like a game of learning to outsmart in ways you would never imagine. I hope this is helpful in some way................keep us posted and ASK  cause people wanna help out. 

many blessings to you and happy hosting, clara

make sure when you respond to people you use the @ and find their name and add it so they know you have responded to them. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Clara116 You did 4 MONTHS research??!!!  I heard about Airbnb by chance, when my Mum suggested I have a nosey at her neighbour's house - on Airbnb.... Eureka! - I  could do that.....!  - 2 hours later, I'd posted my 1st listing! (Mind you, I was already on a lodger finding site, so used to letting rooms.)

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brenda501  One thing to be aware of, which goes along with what Clara said about trying to stay unemotional, is that guests will not necessarily be careful with your furnishings, etc. Try to furnish the guest space with things that look nice and go along with your tastes, but that aren't expensive to replace or repair if need be. Most guests, at least the ones I get, have been respectful, but you don't want your grandmother's heirloom wardrobe in the guest room only to find it draped with sopping wet towels, or to put out your best tablecloth. It's much less stressful to have things that aren't precious to you or irreplacable for guest use, rather than run around making sure they put coasters under glasses, or end up crying because they accidentally broke your antique glass lamp.