I am new to hosting, and the first two guests to book with me this month are both new profiles?

Deanna79
Level 1
Sandy Springs, GA

I am new to hosting, and the first two guests to book with me this month are both new profiles?

I just created my host profile 3 days ago and i have two bookings. Both are female profiles that were also just created this month. Is that normal? Can i trust Air BNB verified process?

5 Replies 5
Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Deanna79 As a new host, you will get new guests to the platform because you both are untested as a host and as a guest. And yes, it can be a bit nerve wracking going through the unofficial new host trial period.

Make sure that the potential guests have submitted multiple levels of verification, such as email, phone number, picture,  government ID, and social media profiles. Ask questions that will help assure you that the guest will be a good match.  Not sure how long a guest may book at your place, but you might want to limit  a stay to two or three nights, until you become a more comfortable host. 

I allow up to two weeks and my first guest was a man who booked for two weeks who had just registered online. We did have plenty of messages back and forth, so I was feeling less stressed about the situation. Then he arrived and my dog fell in love with him and he proved to be an excellent guest.

You can always turn down a guest, if at any time they make you feel really uncomfortable.

After a few bookings, and hopefully lots of great reviews, you will get more experienced travelers.

Krystal16
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Deanna79 I have found the Airbnb verification to be sufficent in most cases I rent out mainly to families I have only had one attempted party, I do get inquiries from time to time where you know they are looking to have a party.  I find 99% of all guests are great, but there is always the few.  The complainers, the where is the mint on my pillow kind of people, and the partiers.  The first two not much you can do about them, try to take their poor reviews more as suggestions and the place will be better for the next guests, the partiers I have a couple rules to avoid them.

1) Instant booking but ONLY if they are verified by other hosts and have all airbnb checks

2) minimum 2 night stay

3) not local, ( I make acceptions to this, obviously there is instant book as well) I currently have an international student staying in my 3bdrm unit for 2 weeks while his parents visit, but I always ask questions of the people who are local

4) Exterior cameras, your unit appears as an apartment so I don't think that would be an option for you

I am not sure if you have self checkin, if you do the first few guests you might want to meet with them to exchange keys or codes.

1 other suggestion, if you are able to, your place looks lovely and so clean however your pictures are dark, if there is a way to have some professional photos done it will certainly make your listing stand out.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Deanna79  Don't be shy to exchange a couple of messages with guests when booking or requesting to book. It can do a lot towards making you feel comfortable with a booking and also prepare you for the kind of guest this will be. Some will address you by name, be friendly and forthcoming and a sense of humor is evident- these are good signs that this will be a good guest. Those that send messages like "I'll need parking" or ignore your questions, give one word answers, or simply don't bother to respond, are redflags. 

And sometimes you can find their profiles on Facebook. A lot of people log-in with that.

@Deanna79

My first guest as a host was also a first time guest user. We were both pretty nervous but as @Sarah977 suggests a short converstation will definitely help you determine if you really want that person in your home. We've had several first time ABB users and we haven't had any problems 🙂

If you get bad vibes from a couple messages, how bad do you think things can get when they are in your home in person???? I personally don't trust ABB's verification that much (anyone with a drivers license and get verified) and prefer to communicate with the guest directly to decide whether or not to accept that person as a guest in my home. I ask why they are coming to Seoul, why they choose my home (over other options), whether they read my (very long and detailed) listing description, and whether they are okay with my house rules. Good luck~