I don't provide any kind of food in my apartments

Raed1
Level 2
Amman, Jordan

I don't provide any kind of food in my apartments

Hello hosts

Is it okay that I'm not providing any kind of food?

I list my entire apartments for guests (I don't live in any of them) 

I have alot of safety's and amenities in them and most of them are new apartments. 

In mean while I don't have anything in my listing description saying that I provide food or drinks. (I only provide pure drinking water for the cooler). 

So I'm wondering if it's okay that I'm not providing any kind of food in my apartments. It's just more work to follow up and some guests don't like to see or use open or used food from the previous guests.

Some of the guests asking me privately to add coffee, tea, salt, sugar, olive oil, juice. and I'm offering my apartments for cheap price.

Are there hosts like me? 

16 Replies 16
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Perhaps providing coffee (or tea) and such 'morning' things, may serve your guests well, given most would love coffee first thing in the morning and not forced to run out for that basic amenity.

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

I am also an offsite host but I provide tea, coffee, sugar, salt and pepper. These are basics that are really annoying not to have provided. They cost very little. But at the end of the day it's up to you what you choose to offer. 

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Raed1 It is an eternal problem with cheap places. Basics are good to have, but in cheap places there may be guests who are capable of using all the stock (happened to me - because 'it was in the price'). Once some guests wrote me a private comment that I should provide breakfast (at my low prices - sic!). You will never satisfy all of them. I second @Fred13 and @Gillian19 that the basics are good to have. Increase the prices to accommodate that.

Also some countries require certificates/permits to offer food on site. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Raed1

If there is a cafe within 1~2 mins walk, then you can direct your guests there and just explain nicely that you are able to provide accomodations at such competitive prices because you keep costs down by not providing any 'extras'. Include suggestions for places to buy basic groceries (milk, eggs, bread, juice), nearby cafes (for coffee or light breakfast), and resturants for lunch and/or dinner.

I have stayed at places that provide nothing - not even water. But they were all central locations less than a 1 minute walk to the nearest 24hr convenience store and tons of places to eat nearby, so I didn't mind at all. 

If there aren't any shops or stores nearby, I would suggest you provide a few things. Instant coffee and a few tea bags won't cost much but will be extremely appreciated.

Sue-and-Andrew0
Level 4
Johannesburg, South Africa

I would recommend some basics - that don't expire or go to waste - so at least tea, coffee, etc.  Your one listing had a review saying shops weren't close by, and the other one I saw had a value rating of 4.5*

The cost of these very basic supplies is low, and will make a difference to your guests... and even if they don't use them, it shows that you are thinking about them.

Our goal as hosts is always to exceed expectations

Raed1
Level 2
Amman, Jordan

Thank you for all of you.

Can you please let me know what important basics that I should include in my apartments other than coffee and tea.

and regarding a coffee which is better to provide 3 in 1 nescaffee bags or coffee mate and nescaffee bottels.

Thank you guys for guiding me.

Best wishes for all of you

Maybe Kuerig machines are available in Jordan, the k-cup style coffee maker, then can provide different flavors. There is a thread going on right now here (Foolproof Safe Coffee Maker) that shows that machine. Wish they had them here in Belize.

BTW, why have at least cafe, tea etc is also because early risers, before places open. Or with a couple, one wakes up earlier than the other, and doesn't have to wait till both dressed to finally get coffee.

@Raed1

Honestly, I think 3 in 1 nescafe coffee mix , some sort of instant black coffee (no cream or sugar), black tea and/or green tea, herbal tea (no caffeine) is a good start. Plus, some sugar and creamers. A few crackers or cookies or biscuits (nothing fancy) might be a nice touch if there aren't any shops nearby. If you are not an on-site host, I'd suggest that you stick with items that can be bought in bulk and have a fairly long shelf-life. (Most instant single serve coffee mixes and tea bags have a shelf-life of 2~3yrs) Good luck~! 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Raed1

Salt, pepper and cooking oil.  If olive oil is reasonably priced in your area, provide that as it is so versatile.

And maybe a reasonably priced local speciality like some baked goods.  I am not too familiar with middle eastern food, but I am sure there must be something suitable.

For safety reasons, I don't provide cooking Oil. Not only they make a mess. Oil is also flammable and I don't want to be held responsible if something bad happens,  It's a liability. 

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Most "legal" short term listings like mine are not permitted to supply any food items at all...not even salt and pepper in shakers. I woul need a separate certificate and more inspections to be allowed to offer food. I suspect that many Airbnb listings are not legal. Those that are legal in my area do not offer any food items.

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Raed1 I do not provide *food*, but I do provide coffee, sugar, oil, salt, and pepper - just the basics. Also, not everyone is using them, so they last for a while.

@Farah1In my area I am not permitted to allow any of those items because they could be tampered with. That is the excuse that I was given by the inspector. I am allowed salt, pepper, mustard, relish and ketchup in small individually sealed envelopes and one time use containers.

Raed1
Level 2
Amman, Jordan

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience.

Wish you the best for all of you