Does Italy have a TOURIST TAX?

Answered!
Judy263
Level 1
Silver Spring, MD

Does Italy have a TOURIST TAX?

Hello,

I am aware about the tourist tax in Italy. HOWEVER, my host was asking for additional info... age, nationality, etc of all the guests. He also asked for one guest's document info. He says this info is needed for the tourist tax. Is this legit?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Judy263 @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0

In Italy it is required - every single guest needs to be registered and reported to the tourist authorities, just like in a hotel. Same in other European countries like Portugal, Croatia.

I would say it is a good sign, means your host is registered and legit.

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Judy263 I have doubts that asking for the guests age is legit! But nationality maybe.

I think onace they have registered .. you dont need to ask for age

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Judy263 @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0

In Italy it is required - every single guest needs to be registered and reported to the tourist authorities, just like in a hotel. Same in other European countries like Portugal, Croatia.

I would say it is a good sign, means your host is registered and legit.

Do they need some document info?

Thanks for the info by the way 🙂

Alessandro479
Level 3
Washington, DC

I am Italian and i’am

confirming than in Italy all guest ID need to be collected and the hotel /host must send all the ID copy to the police. This all about  old laws against mafia . You need an ID for almost everything In Italy  like buy a SIM card , buy a GIFT card , pay whit credit CArd and go to the hotels 

Mary60
Level 2
New York, NY

This is absolutly legit! in fact, it's required by the Italian government that this info be passed to the local Questura (police) and this is always done when you go to a hotel.  As a host, I can assure you, this is required. I could get into alot of troulbe if I dont' collect this. 

Hello Mary, I'm new to hosting and wondering if you could help me. Can I pass this guest information onto the Questura without registering and obtaining a license as a host? I want to understand if it's necessary for me to get a license number from the government, I don't want to break any laws. Thank you for any help! 

Luis1053
Level 1
Brighton, United Kingdom

I understand you have to show your ID but provide in advance a copy of the ID from everyone is normal? I don't remember doing this using Air bnb in roma last year!

Hello, 

We booked an airbnb in Venice and we are asked to pay tax there. I thought tax is necessary for hotel not airbnb. Is it true?

Thanks! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Maryam80 

Maryam there are many local authorities around the world that require the payment of a 'lodging tax' from hosts who rent a part, or the whole, of their property to guests. In most of these Airbnb will have set up an agreement with the local authority to collect tax on behalf of the host. They will deduct the tax from the hosts payout figure, but this amount will have been factored into the hosts nightly rental. In some instances this arrangement has not been put in place, and it is solely up to the host to collect the required tax from the guest on arrival, and forward it to the local authority.

I know it is terribly annoying but, it can be legitimate, and it's not the hosts fault! The host is not being greedy or underhand.....the host is just doing what is required of him by local laws!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/31/venice-introduce-visitor-tax-latest-bid-manage-impact-ma...

Maryam, blame the government, not the host or Airbnb....we just work to rules!

Cheers.......Rob

Peppe-E-Nora0
Level 2
Ragusa, Italy

@Judy263 

someone could be esonereted to pay tourist tax, for example 0/12  or more than 75 years old, who has handicap and so on. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

It's also required here. We have Airbnb collect it automatically. Nobody seems to complain. 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

The same here.

€0.40/person/day