Inconsistent Information from AirBnB

Jay18
Level 5
Borgarnes, Iceland

Inconsistent Information from AirBnB

Did you know that the information provided by AirBnB with regards to important details of your reservations can actually be DIFFERENT, depending on the method of communication? I was shocked to find out they can be. Below is an example of how.

I received an email notification from AirBnB. I saw this indication in the lower right corner of my lower left monitor (I have 4), so I went to my lower right monitor, where I keep a browser tab open for AirBnB (and other things I frequently access).

I went to the new reservation request and clicked on it to get details. This showed me "Guests 3 guests". So I proceeded to check out the guest's reviews, which mentioned something about a lovely family in 2014. Since all reviews were positive, I decided to accept the reservation.

A few moments later, my wife pinged me and asked why I approved a request with an infant. I asked her which request, and she told me. I looked again in the reservation and see "Guests 3 guests".

In the confirmation email I see "Guests 2 adults, 1 child, 1 infant" about halfway through the email. So I called AirBnB customer service and inquired. At first the rep did not know what to say, at least until he put me on hold and came back on the line.

At that time he told me the original email sent to me would have the same information in it. Since I was already in my AirBnB account, I went there and saw "Guests 3 guests". Despite there being a breakdown of the guests in the email (and also apparently in the app, which I almost never use due to its limitations), AirBnB provides no such breakdown before or after approving a booking request on its website.

I am extremely disappointed that AirBnB does not consistently provide the same information across ALL of its communication channels. Even the rep was not clear on how this information was communication, since he had to put me on hold for a bit to presumably talk with someone else about this issue.

The bottom line is now you have to be cautious about trusting even your so-called partners in business these days. There is no excuse for this difference, something the AirBnB rep even agreed with. Be extra careful when dealing with AirBnB, apparently in pretty much any situation now, as this inaccurate and incomplete information in the reservation details on their platform is inexcusable.

5 Replies 5
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jay18 

You lost me... 

so, in your notification email with request there was 3 guests...

on ABB request message thread was also 3 guests...

but after you accepted booking you got confirmation mail for 2 adults, 1 children, 1 infant?

On the platform in my profile on the website, I saw there were 3 guests (no breakdown). The email actually contained the breakdown (2 adults, 1 child, 1 infant), but I approved from the website, which is where I was at the time. No breakdown. The app (I don't use it due to limitations) also provided the breakdown. I only saw it in the emails really because my wife asked me about it after seeing the breakdown in the app, which she uses. Generally speaking, the website should be the most informative, since that is an official record of the reservation, and where all information is stored. Also, you cannot confirm from the email, except by clicking the link, which takes you to the website. The breakdown of the guests appeared almost near the bottom in the email. AirBnB sort of reminds me of human resources (HR) departments way back in the day. They used to protect employees from the company, and now just protect the company from the employees.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

The mails, which change all the time, can be confusing. I regularly swear about them, when I have to scroll down an eternity to know how much the rent will be and how long the stay - I'd like to knwo Money first, Dates second and after that, they can be nice or have to be very nice indeed. 

If it's an important booking, I check the website for more details, usually via the app - I never noticed that the website may have Less information, especially such an important information about the number of kids. 

What I can imagine, that you got a freeriding toddler - kids under 2 years are free and the system does not count them. To avoid that, you can check Not suitable for kid under ... or you can set a fee for babies in your house rules and set a rule, that guests have to inform you about babies before booking, in their message. If they don't, you can get the reservation cancelled.

Hi Helga - I like you advice! Here in Iceland, our license states the maximum capacity for which a place is licensed. If a guest lies about the capacity, and if AirBnB aids and abets in that regard by not counting infants in its total, then I should be in the clear. Because legal counsel told me that if I have unattended check-in for someone, e.g., a keybox, then THE GUESTS are responsible for honoring my listing rules. If I happen to be called to the apartment for some reason, and there are more people than booked, I can ask them to leave, and even call the police to have them removed if they object. Rules is rules, as they say.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jay18 @Helga0 thank you for sharing, good to know... I also use website all the time it could have happend to me too, luckly I have no-children policy so they can not instant book