Incorrect pricing for "base price"

Todd-And-Heather0
Level 1
Wiarton, Canada

Incorrect pricing for "base price"

Hi Everyone, I already submitted a conversation but I am unable to find it to see if anyone had suggestions. 

Mid January my husband and I were heading away on hoildays. I started getting an unusual higher number of bookings. We were at a hotel near the airport about to fly out in a few hours when I got another request. It was then I noticed the pricing was all wrong. We have three set prices throughout the year based on our tourism  seasons. It is not something I ever change. The entire year reset to the lowest price and I had been unknowingly accepting bookings! Now I am faced with the dilemna of notifying these guests and explaining there was a glitch with Airbnb and there were charged the incorrect amount and asking them to pay more or cancel or hoping Airbnb covers the difference. We did call someone that night as we were flying to a location that did not have internet and there would be no way to fix the issue while away. The customer service person was not helpful, she said she had never heard of hosts having more than one rate and went on and on about "base rates".  We could not resolve anything with her on the telephone and using the airbnb app on a tablet has major limitations! I managed to change all of the pricing for the year to our highest rate and left for holidays. I was expecting a response from Airbnb regarding our phone call and how to resolve this but to no avail. Up until now, I have been singing the praises of airbnb but I feel really let down. I simply cannot accept the lower amount for the summer reservations in place.  I hope Airbnb see this because I really don't think the community can help with this matter but there is no way I will call airbnb again with the terrible service we received.

9 Replies 9
Michael477
Level 10
Cholula, Mexico

Hi @Todd-And-Heather0:

There have been known glitches when AirBnB is doing system updates (2...3 times a week).

People are reporting unintended changes to the calender. Sometimes AirBnB compensates, mostly not.

>It is not something I ever change.<

Unfortunately YOU SIGNED the AirBnB agreement, so YOU have to keep your listing ALLWAYS update. I recommend to check 2..3 times a week for blocked or unblocked dates, prices, conditions.

Sorry... no better information.

I strongly resommend to untick the Immediate Booking option! So you will always see the reservation, price etc. and can check REAL availability PRIOR to accepting the reservation!

Regards

Michael

Saludos
Michael

Hi Michael,

I did not sign saying it is ok for computer glitches and I will eat your mistake. 

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Personally, I would take the economic hit and honor all of those reservations at the lower prices.  I can't imagine being a traveler and having a host cancel on me over a glitch.  As the previous respondent stated, it is incumbent upon us to check, check, check for errors, omissions, and all the rest.  I hope it works out for you and your guests.

I didnt change the prices, I didn't make the mistake and we aren't talking about $50, we are talking hundreds. At what monetary point do you say it's ok? I cannot afford to "take the hit". And I do not not know if I could have caught this glitch. It is entirely possible the error occurred after these people were booked. Airbnb said they couldn't tell because I went in and changef the pricing across the board when I saw their error. She said she couldn't look back in the history. So, if I hadn't been diligent I would have been out thousands and I should take the "hit". This is frustrating that you are saying basically "buyer beware" but I didn't make this error! And the onus should not be on me for computer glitches. This is not my fault. What if overnight you had 12 instant books for the next two months and as soon as you woke up your realized they are incorrect. Do you take the hit?  You are being diligent, you are checking, but lo and behold a glitch did occur.

Frustrated in Wiarton.

In Connecticut, an advertised price has to be honored so from where I stand, I'd have to honor it or deal with a legal mess that wouldn't be worth the hassle.

If I walk into a store and see a widget advertised for X dollars, the cashier can't tell me there was a glitch and I have to pay a higher price.

It seems you already know what you're going to do and you're not struggling with this dilemma.  Your original post states that you were looking for suggestions.  I've given you mine.  You can do with it whatever you wish.

Good luck!  Again, I hope it all works out for you and your guests.

That is quiet correct Wendy, but the cashier is the go-between the company that looks after the cash register/ computer and it doesn’t come out of the cashier’s pocket. We never altered the price, the "company" computer glitch is the problem, so the "cashier" shouldn't pay for it out of her own pocket.

Heather

One would argue that you are the company and AirBNB is the cashier.  That's a very interesting point.  I wonder how this would play out in court.

Have you cancelled all the bookings?  Were the guests okay with that?  Because at the end of the day, what matters is the relationship between host and guest.

If either party is forced to accept terms that don't believe they should have to accept, nobody wins.

Melisa-Michelle0
Level 1
Tulum, Mexico

Have you been able to solve this problem? I'm going through the same thing!

Hi Melisa,

No I have not resolved it. I get around it by simply put the highest amount in for the entire year and then manually change the ones in the off season to the lower prices. Up until recently, it was working but I had a cancellation and the dates the person cancelled did reset back to a base price I have NEVER used during the summer so I know it was a computer glitch and not a human error. Airbnb has never compensated me for any of the losses and I wasn't about to cancel; the guests, it isn't their fault and knowing AirBnb I would be penalized and my calendar would likely be blocked because I cancelled without a reasonable reason! I am not very happy with Airbnb these days