Internet usage at a cottage- help!

Amy1105
Level 2
Nova Scotia, Canada

Internet usage at a cottage- help!

Hello!

we are brand new hosts with a lakeside cottage. We do not have typical internet there (satellite, phone line, and fibre op unavailable) so we turned to data. We don’t have cable tv either so we felt that we wanted to provide some internet so guests can check emails and social media and let their kids watch a cartoon on Netflix while they make supper. 

Were in Canada and data is very expensive here. As a couple with one small child we used about 1 gig a day while there and we felt that they may not be average but we hoped that providing 50 gigs a month would be sufficient. 

We have guests there now and in 3 days they used over 50 gigs. They also brought a dog without telling us (and thus being charged a very reasonable pet fee) but that’s a different issue. It’s been a beautiful week and they’re at a lake and I guess were shocked they they are going through 13 gigs a day. 

What can we do to curb internet usage? Does anyone have advice? We don’t want to be in a position where one guest uses up all the data and there’s nothing for the next guest. Help!

16 Replies 16
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Amy1105  I have a similar internet limitation where I live. There are no phone lines and my internet is cell-based and metered. I try to make it this clear in my listing info- that internet is available but limited- fine to check email and such, but absolutely no streaming, watching videos or movies, uploading or downloading large files. All of my guests have been okay with that. There have been a few that consumed quite a bit because they were doing a lot of online work, but it balanced out with the ones who hardly used it at all.

However, I host in my home and the connection works by tethering to my phone. I turn that connection on when I or guests need to use it, so I'm pretty aware of how long they are online and if I saw that they were indeed ignoring the request not to stream, etc (because I can check how much usage has been consumed) I would just ask them to please not do that.

As well, my place is in the countryside, but not that remote- a 20 minute walk, 5 minute drive to town. All my guests go into town every day, go the beach there, so it's not a problem for them to go to a restaurant or cafe and connect to their unlimited Wifi if they need to. If you are more remote, and guests can't easily get to a place to do that, it would be more problematic.

I suggest you just try to be really clear about the internet limitations in your listing info and reiterate it to guests through messaging when they book. You can spin it as a positive-" Enjoying the tranquility of this remote location means that everything doesn't work here the way it does in an urban center, You'll be surrounded by beautiful nature but do not expect unlimited Wifi- we don't offer that because the capability doesn't exist here."  Or "Unplug, unwind. Need a break from the digital world? If you're looking for a place to chill out and relax without being dependent on internet, our place will be perfect for you."

Several of my guests have remarked that they are happy that I don't have unlimited Wifi- they said they spend way too much time online, that's it's addictive, and they were happy to be in a situation where that wasn't possible and just enjoy a quiet vacation.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Wow, @Amy1105, your lake house is beautiful! I've added it to my Martines wishlist and I hope to come visit someday. I agree with some of the other comment here. Seamless, unlimited Wifi will eliminate all problems with guests who expect it but chances are this family using all your data will be your new norm. I say don't offer it at all. Maybe think of some ways to make up for it... offer tons of board games, coloring books, and outdoor games. Get a DVD player and add some family classics to the DVD collection. Provide popcorn and snacks for family movie nights. Try to promote that "unplug from the world and reconnect with your family" type of environment. Be super clear in your listing and mention it again with your guests when they book. People should know whether they can handle it or not.