Is Airbnb really going to require that we provide linens & towels?

James165
Level 10
Atlanta, GA

Is Airbnb really going to require that we provide linens & towels?

I just saw that as of July 2018 Airbnb will be requiring that hosts provide linens and towels. That is a killer for us and will be for many who do weekly vacation rentals and don't live locally. We have no means of ensuring linens are washed between rentals, much less being sure they won't accidentally be taken by the guests. I supposed we could find someone to contract, but that will likely add $100-200 per rental - most of our guests would much prefer save the money and bring their own. We tell them about the local linen rental agency so they have that option. 

The changes to Airbnb seems to be leaning toward people (guests and hosts) who have boatloads of money. I know that likely is where they'll make most money, but I fear that they are leaving their base behind. 

213 Replies 213
Soc0
Level 1
Oamaru, New Zealand

Yeh im sorry iprovide linen no problem but the towels are a personal item in my thinking and as such the guest usualy provide their own , to add this and its cleaning costs , more items that guest end up taking away with them anyway is a cost we cant cover without add to prices for beds ,,, Ive already lost 3 sets of sheets, two pillows and bed throws ,,,,, 

Really?  You have had all of all those items?  I have been hosting for a year now and never lost a towel, pillows or throws or any item with the exception of a wine glass that was broken accidentally.  I did have an incident with a small child got ahold of a marker and scribbled on a comforter, however the guest offered restitution immediately.  It wasn't an expensive item.  Seems odd to have lost so many items. 

It’s not odd at all.  

Perhaps you just have yet to encounter it.

Same. Never lost a towel or other linens. All my guests have been very careful and respectful.

I've had folks run off with regularly stocked food from the kitchen (condiments, coffee, etc) but never household items like linens, etc.

I'm also here to observe and interact, so I'd be able to see if they were making off with a comforter or the furniture...

I have had a few guest that clean out food and all the extra toiletries I keep on hand. Have not lost linens or towels yet. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

There are so many differences in the listings it is a wonder that hosts keep coming up with ways to cope.  You started your business under one circumstance but now it has changed.  I don't know if it would be better for you to use another platform that does not have this requirement or to find a way to manage.

Would it work for you to have a linen contract as part of your listing but offer a discount if the guest elects to bring their own linens?  It will require extra effort on your part but maybe that would work for you.  Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just don't know why they are making it less flexible. I already had to dump VRBO last year due to new requirements that made it harder to host, which is why I started Airbnb. Now I may have to drop that. Hosting is not my profession, but just something we do in order to afford to have a second home at the coast and to provide a low-cost, simple vacation option for those who can't afford to hop down to Sandals. 

I provide everything, but I'm also here to manage it all.

Since you're not there, you might want to consider working with a local "co-host" or a vacation property management company to be your partner.  You'd still have to provide linens, but there would be someone there to prepare for guests and make sure everything's perfect, check on things, and clean and take inventory after guest departure/pre for the next set, so you could charge any missing items against a security deposit /cleaning fee you might require, noticed in advance of the booking.

There are FAQ's for aairbnb co-hosting in that area of the website.  A co-host is basically your local eyes/ears on hte ground there to help you set up/clean/be available if there's an issue while guests are there to help.  Basically they'd need access to your calendar, your contact info for communications, keys, and cleaning supplies.  A good bet is another host, or reliable cleaning person looking for extra income.

A mangement company is a good option if you want everything taken care of so you can live your life.  Depending on your level of service it includes the duties of a co host noted above and, depending on the contract, they may also verify ID/credit card info, have thier own lock boxes for entry, hold/enforce a security deposit, and take care of minor repairs/maintenance issues.  Make sure you check out thier reputation.  Some outfits have been known to offer less than perfect service, and others are very professional and responsive.

Good luck!

Phyllis2
Level 4
British Columbia, Canada

I provide all linens, towels,beach towels etc.  Have never lost an item yet.  I would like to see both guest and host reviews held until both have responded and then posted.  As a host it’s hard to give a negative review because of being afraid of getting a revenge bad review.  I always ask guests if everything is OK and can I get them anything to make their stay better.  I hope that if there are any negative comments that they can be solved immediately.  Where I see the problem is with absentee hosts, and instant booking.  Not vetting your guests before booking I feel is dangerous and can be where problems arise.  Guests don’t want surprises upon arriving and hosts don’t want extra people showing up.  Your description and pictures need to be accurate and up to date.  

Hi Phyllis,

The guest will never leave you a 'revenge bad review'.  They cannot see your review until AFTER they have written their review.  So please go ahead and leave an honest review to alert other hosts about a bad guest.

Helen.

Sorry the @ link no longer works, your picture does not come up when I type in your name.

I recently had a guest that I spoke with numerous times to answer all of her questions and each time I asked if everything was okay. She answered yes everything is great, wonderful, etc. The morn of departure she asked where to leave the key and said she had a fabulous time. My surprise was her slamming me in her review and it was completely false. I had cut her slack on my review figuring they had fun and didn’t report mess left behind. 

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

On the other hand, and here most hosts from the CC know I don't look up to Airbnb, backpackers travelling light expect to find everything on the house. The only way for those hosts who provide cheap accommodation, like myself, is to economise on the linen and other stuff. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@James165 Where did you see this information?