Is Airbnb really going to require that we provide linens & towels?

James165
Level 10
Atlanta, GA

Is Airbnb really going to require that we provide linens & towels?

I just saw that as of July 2018 Airbnb will be requiring that hosts provide linens and towels. That is a killer for us and will be for many who do weekly vacation rentals and don't live locally. We have no means of ensuring linens are washed between rentals, much less being sure they won't accidentally be taken by the guests. I supposed we could find someone to contract, but that will likely add $100-200 per rental - most of our guests would much prefer save the money and bring their own. We tell them about the local linen rental agency so they have that option. 

The changes to Airbnb seems to be leaning toward people (guests and hosts) who have boatloads of money. I know that likely is where they'll make most money, but I fear that they are leaving their base behind. 

213 Replies 213

@Ange2The "Tripple Bs", why settle for chump change, go for all the marbles! 🙂

@James165 @Ange2 @Fred13 @Matthew @Dassi0 I REALLY like your idea, Ange, regarding guests being able to select what level of hosting they are expecting or wanting, including in regard to amenities. I'm surprised Airbnb did not think of it.

In my opinion, it is not a good business decision for Airbnb to so quickly stray this far from their roots. There are people who use Airbnb specifically because they appreciate participating in the sharing economy, and that they have choices that fit their values - Including in regard to community values and also economic ones. This latest platform roll-out is very 'coroporate' in feel and tone, which will likely turn many long-time users of Airbnb off. Not to mention the fact that Airbnb is now limiting guest choices. For example, many guests LIKE staying in places that are more casual - AND less expensive - and NOT like a boutique or luxury vacation home or hotel. I myself will likely benefit from the current roll-outs going on (or so I hope), but as a community member, I am very concerned by what is happening to other traditional hosts who do not live on site like we do and cannot do things like provide linens and such. Ultimately, in my opinion (and I was a VP of Marketing at a fast-growing start-up in Silicon Valley back in the day) it is too sudden a shift into an entirely different market, and the ill will these moves will likely create with loyal hosts who are not more 'upscale' has the potential to create a lot of negative press, akin to what happened with VRBO / Homeaway. 

Like you, I was just about ready to leave all the other platforms I list on, because 98% percent of my bookings are with Airbnb and I have sold out every month since listing with Airbnb 10 months ago - And also, I love the community spirit and how this translates into hosting - including the many positive experiences and exchanges I have with guests. But because I am now not sure how all of these changes will affect me, I am going to have to stay on those sites (even though I basically loathe doing business with them) because the future seems uncertain for hosts like me who live in more remote areas that may never be invited to join the Plus program - And it seems that it is the Plus hosts who will be getting the bulk of Airbnb's support and attention, along with 'Beyond' listings. 

I think many hosts don't even realize what is happening yet, and how these changes are going to impact them. I am curious as to just what questions will be funnelled to Brian Chesky at his Q & A this coming week, and whether or not the 'hard' questions will be discreetly filtered out. We shall see...

What I really like about the concept is that the best achieve systems are one in which provides hope and incentive to achieve a little higher. Why was always thinking Superhost should go to Superhost** to possibly *****. The stars gained as one maintains Superhost in longetivity (but not necessarily continous) and also as to the number of 5-star reviews collected beyond the minimum, for example.

"I'm surprised Airbnb did not think of it."  @Rebecca181  I am guessing it's not 'cool' enough for Airbnb given it's an accepted norm for clarity.

The frustrating thing is that I provide all sorts of amenities that aren't required - we have an incredibly well-stocked kitchen with all sorts of appliances and tons of table ware. We have interesting books about the island. Nice art work. It's just those stupid sheets that we don't have because we have no way of making sure they get washed and replaced!

Agree 100% My kitchen is also super well stocked. Many people have commented and been really pleased.  We have a lot of art work too : )

My property is in a coastal village in Australia and I have a similar problem to others in this conversation.  Most properties in this location do not provide linen. It is difficult to organise linen and with my current cleaner, it will add about AUD$200 to each stay.  I live a 2 1/2 hour drive from the property so I need to rely entirely on my cleaner.  I dont think I will be getting many reservations once this is introduced.  I will need to rely on HomeAway and other providers when this requirement is introduced.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@James165 Is it possible for you to use the new feature whereby we can find co-hosts in our area willing to help us with our listing for a  percentage (usually 10 - 20% is standard)? You might be able to find someone willing to help you with the laundry for even less of a percentage than that. I was surprised to find a co-host in my beach vacation area - Don't need her yet, because we live on-site and clean the rental ourselves, but there are more and more co-hosts signing up and you may find someone to help you that way. Just a thought.

@Rebecca181 Sure, we can all pay someone to help. But that will just mean the guests pay more. No more economic basic breaks. If I were younger I think I'd start up my own booking platform - once it's up and running it really is a winner - so little risk.

@Gillian19, indeed, as I mentioned in another comment: Guest pays more for amenities, hosts pay more, and we still get those constant, nagging 'suggestions' to lower our prices to get booked. My prices are $10.00 a night higher than my 'competition' right now (mostly property managed listings on Airbnb in my beach vacation area) and I was booked 100% this past 30 days, and they were booked on average 10%. It is not about who has the lowest price to offer; it is about so much more than that, including the HOST that is involved and how the guest experiences this host online and during the booking process, even if they never meet.

I looked and there are none. We already pay a local Realtor to manage the property and arrange the cleaning, but the cleaners have so many properties to deal with that they can't take the time to wash linens and remake beds. And even if they did, they would have to charge me, meaning I'd have to charge our guests, most of whom would rather save the money and bring their own stuff! There is a linen rental available I tell renters about for those who prefer not bring their own. So I have them covered and have had ZERO complaints from guests about this. But now Airbnb unilaterally decided that's not OK!

Minnie11
Level 2
Myrtle Beach, SC

Airbnb is not only trying to standardize what's provided in a home they are trying to change an entire industry.  There is a huge difference between renting a room in your home verus renting an entire vacation home.  I guess the standard varies from country to country also.   I rent my entire beach home on the North Carolina coast and it's usual and customary for guests to either bring their own linens and towels or rent them locally.    The local vacation rental  management companies provide this as an option at checkout.    I rent my home on other sites such as VRBO, TripAdvisor etc and they are not mandating owners provide linens/towels.  Airbnb should provide this as an option and not make it mandatory for hosts. It's also a hassle to charge a pet fee after a guest paid for their reservation.  There is definitely lots of room for improvement on the Airbnb platform and I hope they are listening.

@Minnie11 wrote:

It's also a hassle to charge a pet fee after a guest paid for their reservation.  There is definitely lots of room for improvement on the Airbnb platform and I hope they are listening.

I agree. There should be an option to approve pets with the fee added.  Also I am able to list additional cost per extra guests but it doesn't automatically add it to the reservation...

Timothy19
Level 8
Bryn Mawr, PA

I've been all over this for the last 2 days since seeing the announcement. While some see it as a "no brainer" and are outraged at the idea that any host in the business would dare not provide such essentials....the reality is in many places it is NOT the norm. In particular, many east coast US beach towns have been this way for DECADES. Cape Cod, NJ, VA Beach N and S Carolina. AirBnB wants to now be all things to all people. They want to rent a couch, a room, an apartment, a single family home, a teepee a yurt and a treehouse......but then they come up with this plan to treat them all the same????

In addition, ABB hasn't clarified what they mean by soap and toilet paper either. Is it a couple of rolls and some hand soap to get guests started or a full supply for the entire stay?  If it is the latter that is a problem as well. My house sleeps 14-18 people in 11-13 beds. I can't store enough TP on site to accomodate 18 people for a week....back to back for 9 straight weeks (I live 2hrs away). I'd have to pay someone to buy, store and deliver it.

I've been called "cheap", "scrooge", "bad at business", told I "have no business being a host", and called "outdated" for not offering these "essentials". It is not about ME or spending money. In my town NOBODY provides sheets and towels or even a full supply of the "essentials". People have been coming here for generations and this is the way things are done. They still pay by check too. I have tried to offer linen and towel service and only 5% of guests have gone for it. It is simply not what my market wants. If ABB implements this option it will cost me over $400 per stay....which means I up my rates $400. And guess what, all the rest of the town who is not on ABB will be $400 cheaper than me and I will be un-booked.

My town is not the only one as others have noted, and AirBnB has no place dictating these sort of requirements. One size does NOT fit all when it comes to rentals. Every town, every city, every country is different. If AirBnB wants to keep me on board, and have a chance of competing in my town, they better re-think this requirement. I would suggest that they limit the soap and TP requirements to "a starter supply" and consider allowing hosts in certain markets to NOT offer linens and towels. I already provide "optional" towel and linen service....and nobody wants it. If I tell my guests who drive from an hour away and who WANT to bring their own sheets and towels....that they now have to pay $400 for my sheets and towels, what do you think they are going to say????

I am exactly where you are. Linen provision is the exception and I also have a rental service we suggest - fewer than 5% of our renters choose it - they'd rather bring their own and save the $100. If I provide them, washed and made up, it will add at least $200 per rental. That is NOT what the market there wants. So I'm already shopping for other sites, as I had to give up VRBO two years ago when they also moved away from the common person. We are not hotel owners!!!