Is no review for a guest, better than a negative one?

Eva709
Level 2
New York, NY

Is no review for a guest, better than a negative one?

I had a guest just leave that left the room is good order and was quiet and all that.

But what an awful person!

Every comment was a sideways insult like, "well, you're from the South" (so many slights like this),  she questioned my parenting, incredibly needy, refused to use the app, walked in to my room when I was not in there (!!), constantly bothered me, pointed out a bottle of champage I split with a friend, asked me, like a naggy mother,  if I was hungover the next day (what?? nooo....) and really made he feel that I could not wait for her to leave so she could stop looking down on me.

Look at my reviews.  I love hoesting.  It's a blast. I don't mind going out of my way, being helpful, but I think she thought she rented a personal concierge not a room and it made me feel defensive and resentful.  

Ugh.

I just did not like her and I'm sure her review is full of her narrow-mined opinions and hyper-critical BS.

Just don't review her and move on? 

Is a PERSONAL dislike something I review?

Battling with this.

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts!

15 Replies 15
TracieandJason0
Level 8
Philadelphia, PA

@Eva709 Maybe you can say they were intrusive of your personal space?

I think it always better to write a review than no review unless you are trying to avoid prompting that guest to review you as well, which you have until the end of the 14 day review period to decide. 

Thanks - she already did leave a review!  I can only imagine her BUTs....

Ill let it stand for a while until I figure out a professional way to phrase my review.  

Thank you!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Eva709

I bet she won’t leave a glowing review. I know her type. All the positives will be followed by a BUT….

If I were you I would wait until the very last day of the 14-day review period. This way she won’t get the prompt to leave a review because you did and she might not be able to writeone  in time. That is if she doesn’t review you first.

I would then write something along the lines of:

“XX communicated well and left the space clean. We may not have been a good fit for each other as I felt a little insulted and put off by some on her comments and conversation. I, personally, would choose not to host her again.”

Never feel bad about leaving an honest review. Make sure you click a thumb down, do not recommend, so she will not be able to book with you again.

Thank you.  She already left a review and I loathe to read it.  I like how you phrased it, so I may just stew a while, get some perspective and go that route.  Thanks!

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Eva709

I agree with @TracieandJason0 that a review is good (even a very neutral one - eg: 'Name' stayed with us for x nights while on a trip to xx)

However if you feel uncomfortable doing that, then at least reply if they post a negative review. But be professional and brief.... Just say something like: I did not review this guest as I didn't know what to say. Disappointed for the first time ever with the attitude of a guest in my home.

Thanks for the insight.  I'll wait a bit until I'm not still stewing.  xo

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

C'mon @Eva709, we're waiting to see it 🙂

LOL. Oh, I'll share alright. The only non-five star rating I ever got was a four star with a quote "no soap" - even though there were three bottles of shower gel and bar soap in my "in case you forgot something" box.  Same personaity.  Icky vibe, negative and entitled.

Stand by!  

xo

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

@Eva709 thankfully my listings are entire homes, I don't know if I could share my house with strangers as if they were roommates. But if I did I would have to make it very clear my bedroom is off limits. 

The thing to remember is AirBnB considers guest reviews as opinions of the guest, so I don't know how you can give her a bad review for giving her opinion, even if they were negative and insulting.

I do think what Emillla suggested was great, it was a very politically correct way of saying you don't like her and wouldn't want to host her again.

Also remember you both will be able to respond to a review so you dont have to point out her faults in your review. Maybe waiting to see what she said in her review would be your best option.

@Sam397  The opinions this guest gave apparently had nothing to do with the accomodation or Eva's hosting style, but were personal criticisms of her, her parenting and her lifestyle, which is wholly inappropriate. So this type of thing doesn't fall under the guest's "opinion" of a listing, and can certainly be mentioned in a review, as most hosts who share their living space would not want to be subjected to a guest like this.

A host shouldn't have to make it clear that their personal bedroom is off-limits. That would be like telling a guest not to use your toothbrush. It's just obvious basic respect. Someone who has to be told not to enter the host's bedroom shouldn't be booking shared home listings.

I have no problem sharing my home with my guests, who have all been friendly and respectful and haven't needed to be the taught basic manners expected from adults.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Eva709  As someone who also hosts a room in their home, I'd like to warned about someone like this, so I'd encourage you to leave a review. Something like others have suggested- mention the positives, like cleanliness and quietness, but also that she was invasive of personal space and constantly made critical, inappropriate comments towards you as a person, having nothing to do with the space you offer or your hosting. I'd close with something like "This guest would be better suited to non-shared accomodations."

That way, considering that she was clean and quiet, hosts who have entire home or apartment listings may be willing to host her and those of us who host in our private homes will be forewarned.

You talked me into it.   

"This guest would be better suited to non-shared accomodations."

I'll use your quote too.

I'll post it when I do!  Promise!

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Eva709

I believe that it is sometimes appropriate not to review a guest.

However, this is not one of those times.

Many good sugestions: I will offer mine?

Ms. So & So might be much better suited to the more impersonal hotel/motel industry. Her negative comments would be best handled by professional staff.

Thumbs down! You don't want her back.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Eva709

Eva, you are doing the right thing, you are thinking this through! Just remember what you say in your review says just as much about you as it does about the guest!

"Although communication with XXX was good and she looked after my property well, she felt the need to providing more advice  than I was comfortable with, and although I wish her all the very best for the future, I would decline the opportunity to host her again!".  

That's all you need to say, you haven't accused here of being anything other than a pain in the arse...... and it makes you look a diplomatic and considered host!

I hope this helps Eva!

Cheers.....Rob