Landlord Permission and Legal Requirements Carrboro, NC

Kris179
Level 2
Chapel Hill, NC

Landlord Permission and Legal Requirements Carrboro, NC

Hello fellow hosts!

I am brand new to hosting and am excited about the prospect of extending hospitality to new people and making a little extra income on the weekends. I want to make sure everything I am doing is legal though. I do not own my current space. I am a tenant on an annual lease in a cute and cozy studio in Carrboro, NC. I am rarely ever home on the weekends, so I thought it would be financially savvy to offer the space up for guests to come and relax when I'm gone.

Is hosting on Airbnb considered subletting? My current lease stipulates that I am allowed "guests, servants, and agents" on the property, but another section of the lease says that subletting is allowed with application- but I think that means a long-term sublet, rather than occasional weekend guests. Airbnb automatically takes out the taxes for my area, but I am not sure if I have to apply for a business license? I seldom anticipate weekend bookings and I don't intend to make more than pocket change from hosting weekends only. 

Do I notify my property manager and landlord to ask permission first? They've been so hands off during my tenancy that I sometimes forget them. They never come around, but I guess I answered my own question. Honesty is the best policy. 

3 Replies 3
Suresh14
Level 2
Naperville, IL

@Kris85 Here is my thoughts

1. You definitely need to have "subletting" clause on your lease or ask your landlord to add a rider to your existing lease. This can be done easily talking to your landlord and get a Sublett clause. PM for sample rider. 

2. Depend on your county and number of days your rent, anything above 30 days counted as a regular tenant. Check your county ordinance about regulation. 

3. If you put little effort you can seriously generate a good side income. 

Thanks,

Suresh

Superhost 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

No lease will intentionally allow short term rentals / business activity. Why would the landlord want to increase their risk by having random strangers occupy the property ?

Its also highly unlikely that any insurance would protect the property - STR insurance is extremely expensive.

Suresh14
Level 2
Naperville, IL

@Pet0 sorry to contradict with you. I have 6 units and 5 units more in the pipeline and I do not own any of them. I am getting more rentals unit than I could handle. The idea proposition to bring WIN-WIN value to the homeowner.  

try www.proper.insure or vacationrentalinsurance.cbiz.com/ for STR insurance. I don't mind to pay whatever amount if my goal is to get $1k/month/unit in profit. It is just a number game. 

I learn all these J's STR Course. 

bit.ly/STRCFD

Good luck.

Thanks