Last-minute allergy problem

Jennifer147
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Last-minute allergy problem

Hi,

Our Airbnb posting has several places where we say we have cats and if you're allergic we might be able to remove them for a fee. However, my guests arriving in 2 days just informed us that we need to remove the cats. Unfortunately it's so last minute that we can only find a boarder for more than they want to pay. Actually they refuse to pay anything.

We had tried to communicate with the guest to get arrival times, etc for over 2 weeks via Airbnb email, text and voicemail, to no avail until yesterday when he finally answered and told us to remove the cats at no charge. We offered to keep them in the basement (there's no central air, so no vents to cause allergy problems), which is basically the same as your downstairs condo neighbor having cats, but he steadfastly refuses.

Now we are feeling uncomfortable even renting the house to this group. But cancelling would be awful for our rating and I wouldn't want to put them in that position anyway. He refuses to pay and we've offered a perfectly acceptable free option.

We also offered his allergic friend to check out the basement to see how it would work for him, under the condition that if he still refuses they would have to pay the boarding before handing over the keys.

It's really a frustrating situation that this guy never answered us until too late to do anything about it and now is claiming this is our responsibility. If he had communicated with us even 1 week earlier we could have probably found cheaper boarding available. Very annoying!! What do we do? 

7 Replies 7
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Jennifer147, you should contact AirBnB immediately and explain the situation.

You can reach them via the Help link at bottom of this page.

Or via Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/airbnb/?fref=ts

Or – if you have a Twitter account - try twitter@airbnbhelp. It’s said there’s a quick response.

More essential reading for hosts. Contains a link with several international phone numbers (‘How to contact AirBnB’).

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Community-Help-Guides/m-p/23100#U23100

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I think you should contact airbnb asap and possibly have the guests rehoused.  Tell your guests in no uncertain terms that it is not possible to remove the cats at such short notice.

To avoid such incidents in future, I suggest you mention the cats but erase the offer to remove them.  Anyone with severe allergies will also be allergic to cats on the premises.  Also, have photos of the cats in your listing.  

Thank you! Will erase that offer. There is a photo of one cat in the living room, but I will add a big photo of them in the series.

Heather55
Level 2
Collierville, TN

I agree - remove the comment about removing the cats for a fee. You are going way above and beyond and then guests do not appreciate. It would also open another can of worms even if you removed them and someone still has a severe reaction ..... Keep it simple.

Thank you!

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I agree with others about asking Airbnb to intervene - you made every effort to contact the guests well in advance of their stay.

You may also want to add something to your house rules that says any special requests or accomodations need to be discussed with you before booking. In this way, if you ever get a bunch of last minute, arduous requests from a guest you can ask Airbnb to cancel on your behalf.

Waundell0
Level 4
New York, NY

If your profile says you have cats and they request to book then they live with cats, period or go get a hotel.