Leaving a bad review

Leaving a bad review

We have just had nightmarish guests to stay in our little cottage.  They checked in as 3 people but held a wild party with about 8 others  which we stopped when we discovered it three hours later.  They had thrown our furniture, empty bottles and other items into the stream which runs beside it, thrown all books, card games etc. all over the space, sticky alcohol was all over the floor etc.  Saucepans ruined.  We even felt it necessary to call the police at the point when we were asking them to leave.  We have asked for compensation via Airbnb.  Meanwhile the guest has left us a review.  We of course are unable to see this without writing a review.  I have read some negative comments around writing a bad review, but if I don't write a review I will not be able to see their review and if appropriate comment or request it's removal.  What is the best thing to do I wonder?

15 Replies 15
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nicky88  I'm not sure why you have hesitation about writing an honest bad review for these animals. The guest has already left a review, so there's no point in waiting to leave yours. Sometimes hosts are reluctant to review if they have a compensation case going on, as that could prompt a guest who hasn't already reviewed to leave a retaliatory, lying revenge review. But if the guest has already left a review, there is nothing gained by waiting, or not reviewing at all. 

You will see the guest's review shortly after you submit yours, when both are published. 

Make sure you read the review guidelines so your review doesn't violate any of them, resulting in it getting pulled. Don't mention Airbnb involvement in a damage claim, or anything else, as that will cause them to delete the review. Just keep it brief and factual as to these guests' behavior, as well as any response you write to their review. 

And the guest can't see the star ratings you leave them, so 1* across the board.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Nicky88   Their review, which is almost certain to be a 'revenge' review where they will make accusations and false statements will be published at day 14 whether you review them or  not.  So, there is no reason not to write a review of them, just don't mention your airbnb case or too many specifics of what they did in terms of drinking, etc.  Say they were extremely abusive in terms of damage to cottage and the surrounding environment and that police had to eventually be called.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Nicky88 

Wait 24hrs before writing Your review.

Tomorrow load Your weapons, relax, and then start the gunfire.

😄 @Ute42 ❤️

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I'd get out ahead of it by calling Airbnb.

Say "These were the worst guests we had, requiring police involvement during their stay. I'm afraid they've left us a retaliatory review. What can you do to help?" And then see what they say.

"You mean even though police were called? these people can leave a review? You're supposed to be my business partner. You can see my history as a great host. These people were terrible and now you're going to let them leave a review that hurts my business?"

They probably won't block the review, but it's worth a shot.

Leave your review for them on the 13th day. That way any more recent guest reviews will appear above it. (One season we had a terrible guest as our last stay of the season. Guess what review showed first all winter 😞

The problem is if they leave a one star review, you may loose your super host status 

Airbnb should allow possibly two "bad but untrue" reviews per yea and not alter your suer host status.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Allison2  The only trouble with waiting almost 2 weeks to review is that means that horrendous "guests" (I can barely bring myself to call people like this guests) will be free to go to do this in other listings for those 2 weeks or be accepted for bookings which might take place farther in the future but are booked during those 2 weeks. As other hosts will be in the dark about the guests unless there are other bad reviews already to go on.

Thanks guys, am considering.  I guess I am wondering if I am being tricked in some way which I cannot fathom, into writing an honest review about these guests by their speed in writing their review the day after the incident... why did they do this?  No idea of course what it says.  I think I will do as suggested, write an honest review.  I might also though first contact airbnb, as suggested.

This is the first time anything like this has happened, and the first time I have used this community forum, and I must say how helpful it is for all of this feedback, thank you so much, it is nice to get feedback from others in the same business.   

So thanks again.

@Nicky88   They did it to protect themselves, to get their side of the story on record.  My crystal ball says they will claim the cottage was dirty and cluttered and that the hosts were unreasonable and hostile, kicking them out unfairly after taking their money.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nicky88  They may not be aware of how reviews work and assume that their review would immediately be published and they want to hurt you ASAP. Or they think that if only one party leaves a review, the reviews won't be published (even some hosts are under this false impression) and are banking on you not leaving one when you see they've left one. Or they just like being vindictive, it gives them a thrill and they just can't wait to do that. You really can't second guess strangers' motives, so not worth thinking about. I can't think of any way them quickly posting a review could trick you into anything.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Reviews are such an important aspect of success on this platform both for hosts and guests.  I am wondering why there is such a misunderstanding of how the system works.  I see posts about trying to manipulate the system to some sort of advantage yet the process is fairly clear and a description of the process is sent with every review prompt.

@Nicky88  I gather you are a co-host, right?  The two lisitings have a huge number of positive reviews each so any negative review, except a cancellation review will be disregarded by potential guests.  I am glad you came to this forum for a perspective.  Hope you continue to do so.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Nicky88I'm so so sorry this happened to you - that's just awful. There is no doubt in my mind that they have left you a negative review, but I cannot stress highly enough how important it is that you review them honestly.First and foremost, we hosts only have each other for support and protection from guests like these. This guest should never be able to book an airbnb again. It is critical that you are honest about their behaviour, otherwise the review system is just a joke. Second, if you leave a review, then you will be able to publicly respond to their review. That way, prospective guests will be able to see it from your side and should be able to put it in perspective.

I agree with @Sarah977 - you can't second guess why they left a review so quickly - maybe they were annoyed that they were kicked out and wanted to get it off their chest. You just don't know. But I can't see how any 'trickery' could be involved. Just be factual and professional in your review and make sure you don't make any defamatory remarks (which is grounds for it to be removed). I suggest posting your review here first to get feedback from other hosts.

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me some advice.  Was feeling rather fragile after the experience, but was emboldened by responses from fellow hosts.  I left an honest review.  Then read his review which was simply  "."

No idea if this is a cryptic message, have now moved on and had lovely guests to stay, so back to normal!  I guess this was bound to happen some time!  Hey ho...

Most hosts have no idea who is staying at their place in reality when using self check in. And most criminals who using airbnb are not so bad at the place they sleep. But we found out that people staying have nothing to do with person who did reservation, we start checking the guests in person to avoid any future complications. We also see everyone coming to the property on cameras. Bad guests don't like it , when you are covered against them, as it is very hard for them to make any false complains. So once they see the owner or any person at the property waiting for them to check in they start to make up story's : " my family member did the the reservation and coming later , please let me in" etc.

Some of them simply calling airbnb claiming that " it is impossible to check in as the host do not let them in" to get the full refund, so they can book another property with self check in. In this case airbnb cancels the reservation on your behalf and refund the guest. Now you stuck with no money, closed calendar for lets say a week or more and there is nothing you can do about it. Sooner or later it will come to every one of us, if you care about your property and neighbors . One day it may ruin your business completely.