Leaving a mess - etiquette

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

Leaving a mess - etiquette

So Cal, USA

Asking fellow hosts - is there a level of cleanliness you expect from your guests upon check out? I have a plus property, with a full kitchen including a dishwasher. I charge no cleaning fee on my listing.

Some guests have used the kitchen, then left me with the dirty dishes/stove/countertops. I would think they they would at least LOAD the dishwasher if not run it.

When guests leave, is it acceptable for them to think "I paid for the accommodation, so someone else can clean my mess"?

For myself, even if I pay to stay somewhere, I treat the place respectfully. In hotels, I've my beds, piled my towels, even wiped down bathroom counters.

In the one airbnb I've stayed at, I washed the cup I used and left it on the drying rack, in case the host was more  anal about cleanliness.

32 Replies 32

@Mikki0 Well-- if you just assume people will do something, and they don't do it, then your assumption was, by definition, wrong. If you have a check-out list, and it doesn't include taking care of dirty dishes, then I don't understand why you would assume people will do it. "Load and run dishwasher" is in our check-out request list, and generally speaking people comply. Also included, "leave used towels on bathroom floor" and "return any moved furnishings to their original places"-- and in house rules "please use provided drying rack and towel rods/hooks (not furniture) for wet towels and clothing."  I wouldn't put furniture that requires coasters in a rental. Not flushing a toilet is gross, but it doesn't cost you anything. If cabinetry is damaged due to negligence, I would file a damage claim.

To answer your question, in my opinion a review comment is merited only if there is damage or if cleaning requires significantly more time than usual-- i.e., if there is a monetary impact. Common sense/courtesy doesn't really enter into it; guests are paying customers, not social houseguests.

But-- I have a hefty cleaning fee, and pay others well to do the work, so it's probably easier not to take these things personally.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Unless the guest has specifically violated your rules, which is a different issue that just leaving dirty dishes, I would give a little more neutral review.  You are not enthusiastically recommending nor are you warning the host community.  If you are "picky" and it is important to you, this is not a crime but it does need to be communicated very clearly as an important issue.  Also, I believe you could send a private message to educate the guest about common host expectations.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Hi @Mikki0 We ask  guests to put all used dishes in the dishwasher and start the cycle, time permitting.  They are provided with plenty of dish washing soap, dish towels and such.  We ask that used towels to be placed in the laundry hamper provided in each bathroom.  Guests are asked not to remove sheets from the beds.  Common sense would tell you to clean up spills, wipe crumbs from the table as so on.  Yes, we charge a cleaning fee of $50 for our 3 bedroom,  bath listing.   We also meet all guests at check-in and do an exit walk-through at the end of the reservation.