Let's settle this burning question-- how many towels per day is normal?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Let's settle this burning question-- how many towels per day is normal?

After spending another 2 plus hours behind my cleaners doing laundry for a recent guest  (cleaners had already done a load and just aren't paid enough to sit through more) I am flummoxed by the absolute scope of variation when it comes to towel usage.  We have two bathrooms and place two towels per person in each of the various towel varieties (4 bath, 4 hand and 2 washcloth, so 10 total towels per bathroom.) We also have a closet where there are extra sheets and towels that we stock just in case. I think there are another 2-4 bath towels in there depending on the stay.

Most guests don't break into the extra linens but some do. I have had couples stay for 5 or so nights and use one towel a piece the whole time. I have had single people stay for a weekend and use not only ALL the bathroom towels but also use the backup linens.  A recent group was a 3 night couple stay and all the towels in the place were used as well as all beds slept in. 

What is "normal" for towel usage, per person? How many towels do you supply? Are we leaving too many available? Is there a way to make guests aware of towel norms (perhaps with a catchy towel use poem?) Are there cultural aspects to this? Or is this simply something guests don't think about? It takes forever to dry towels in our dryer and lengthens turnover considerably. 

27 Replies 27

How many towels do you provide for 1 week stay? We provide 1 towel per guest up to 3 nights then 2 towels up to 6 nights and so on. I cannot imagine providing one towel a day as it is way too many towels.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Minimum stay is 4 days, so we provide 3 each guest: 2 for for the 4 days + 1 more (so 3 per guest) to use by swimming area/outdoor shower area. IF they need more and ask, we tell them where they could find the 'hidden ones'.

@Laura2592 "Is there a way to make guests aware of towel norms (perhaps with a catchy towel use poem?)"   You might consider posting signs similar to ones at many hotels asking guests to conserve towel usage, and re-use towels during their stay, to help save the environment.  They'll be helping you, the planet, hence themselves, all at once.  Win-win-win!

@Dave52 brilliant idea! I am going to spend some time making cute signs. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura2592 the guests have access to the W/D??

If so, rather than trying to patrol their towel usage, maybe you could implore them to at least start a load of laundry before they leave,  since presumably, they've used these over time and not all at once on the morning of departure??

that would give cleaners some headstart.

Or ask them to complete a whole wash/dry cycle...

"please begin the laundry process so that the cleaners just have one remaining set of bed linens/towels per guest to complete. Much thanks!!"

they likely won't all comply but if even some of them do, would that be a win for you?

I do personally tend to worry about guests doing laundry though. I've seen guests do some pretty knuckleheaded stuff so I try not to trust any crucial tasks to them.

~ this is why I'm glad the Barn is in the backyard.

@Kelly149  we do have a washer dryer and leave pods and dryer sheets but 2 guest groups in 100 stays or so have used them. With our extra cleaning protocol now we have to go behind the cleaners and aren't always available immediately after they leave (and some of the stuff that is sprayed to disinfect needs time to dry) so I am hesitant to have load of laundry waiting for the next phase. If the cleaners don't finish they will sometimes take things home or we will come and sit with an extra load or two of laundry while we do phase 2 of disinfecting and turn over.  

I think I am generous with my towels judging from the responses here, and that I need to cut back on what I offer. No guest has ever thanked me for lots of towels. Signs are a great idea!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  I give my guests 2 bath towels (because I've had long hair most of my life and know most women with long hair wrap one around their head and another around their body), one hand towel and one washcloth. They get fresh ones after a week (or if they have a 10 day booking, I'll offer halfway through). Never had a guest say they need more, and often I find that only 1 bath towel has been used after a week-long booking.

But I was looking after my neighbors' Airbnb when they were out of town and the 2 guys who were staying there managed to go through 17 bath towels in one week! I was supposed to be turning it over for new guests who were arriving later that day and had asked my neighbor where to find clean towels, but when I went to look where she had told me, the shelves were bare. That's when I found the pile of mouldering 17 bath towels in the laundry room 😫

Like @Jessica-and-Henry0 , it's pretty humid where I live, but I notice my guests tend to hang their wet bath towels over the balcony railing outside their room to dry, which works fine. The sun is so strong here, they dry out and don't smell if they are left out there for a couple hours.

Rebelhost2.jpg

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592 

"4 bath, 4 hand and 2 washcloth, so 10 total towels per bathroom."

For stays 2-3 days, I leave out one full set of towels per person (bath, hand and face), stays 4 days and longer receive two sets of towels per person.  My rentals have washers and dryers that are available for guest use, and they can launder their towels if they want.

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Laura2592 I leave two towels, 1 hand towel and 2 facecloths per bedroom-in the bedroom. It doesn’t matter how many guests are booked in, I always leave the same amount. Most reservations don’t use all the towels, hand towels or facecloths. I think 1 towel, 1 hand towel and 1 facecloth is sufficient. I have a washer and dryer available so if they want to wash towels after a week they can. I’ve only once had a woman ask for more towels every day during her stay. I obliged each day to her request, but I thought she was a bit weird. Why was she so dirty after having a shower that she couldn’t re-use it the next day? It’s not very humid here, in fact it’s quite dry so the towel dries in a day if hung up. If you are in a very humid climate I think you may have to supply more towels. 

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

The linen closet is near the bathrooms, if they use more than one towel, it’s the least of my worries 

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

In general, we supply one beach towel, one bath towel, one hand towel and one washcloth per guests. We leave a few dark colored washcloths for makeup removal. We have 2 washers and 2 dryers on the premises, so guests can wash them as needed. We keep our back up stash under lock and key.

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

I leave two large towels for the beach/pool  in the warm season. Usually 1 large towel, 1 medium and 1 small towel per person. And of course the apartment has a washing machine and I leave detergent for washing.

Mary4634
Level 2
Cedar, MI

I agree with one of the comments. I leave out one towel one hand towel and one washcloth per guest. For a minimum three day stay. This is my fifth summer doing Airbnb and my last guest was the first guest ever to request more towels for a three day stay. When people stay for a week I give them a change of towels in the middle of the week. Without having to be asked. I agree if you put it out they will use it.