Liability if guest caused damage and body injury to other guest?

Joy298
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

Liability if guest caused damage and body injury to other guest?

Hi

Just got a guest informed me that she accidentally placed my electric kettle on the gas stove and burnt the base. I'm of course very grateful that she's an honest guest. However, I started to worry if the world is not always so wonderful.

If the guest made such damage but chose to hide then I really don't think I can discover it until the second guest notifying me. Then if the second guest used the broken kettle and caused something bad, even body injury to himself, what would be my liability? Since the first guest had checked out, seemed like it becomes the host's responsibility to ensure every amenity is safe and in good condition.

Any advice much appreciated!

4 Replies 4
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

The guest that informed you needs to get "Superguest" qualification for their honesty and a community accreditation for the prevention of injury!

Only satisfactory insurance will protect you in the event of a personal or fatal injury, but in your case, the electric kettle would short and it would be either the fuse or your house wiring which would protect you.

Thanks @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 for your lovely input 😄

I had another guest switched the kettle on with literally a full tank of water. Yes she ignored the window and maximum mark, but full filed the water to the very top. When the kettle was boiling, I saw a fountain of steam and hot water on my kitchen bench top.

These guests were all from developed countries. So I wonder if electric kettle is just not so commonly used in all parts of the world.

@Joy298  Electric kettles are not historically so common in the US; I've had to show several Americans how to use them.  I've also had an Italian couple destroy a glass French Press by trying to make "espresso" with it on the stovetop. Don't get me started on microwaves. For every device, there's bound to be at least a billion people who don't have the background to know how to use it. I grew up in an inner-city apartment, you can imagine how badly it went the first time I tried to use a lawn mower.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Joy298 

Many countries only drink coffee from machines so a kettle might actually be a revelation to them! I'm glad we don't have see what our guests do, or attempt to do, in our kitchen!