Lock out basement to main floor

Lock out basement to main floor

We have a fully finished basement that we will be renting out for the very first time (past owners also rented).  My question is, the tenants will be able to access the full basement through a walkout door at the back of our house.  Can we place a lock out door knob for the stairs leading up to the rest of the house?

5 Replies 5
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I also have a communicating between my basement apartment and my basement.

I have a door knob and a deadbolt. The deadbolt locks from the apartment's side, the door locks from my side. Both sides get their required privacy. 

Likewise, if you don't have a deadbolt, put the  lock side of the door knob on the apartment side. Put a latch on your side.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

It depends. There must be two exits available from any basement space in case of a fire/emergency. Thisis the International building code and every single US state has adopted this code.

So if the door to the main house is the second exit, no you cannot put a deadbolt on that door. If the basement has a proper door and a second egress [usually a walk out window] by code. The other option is to put an emergency bar on the door to the first floor that will sound an alarm if they use the door.

Susan is correct. You must have 2 forms of egress if you have a basement space.  There must be 2 ways to escape if needed.

Our space is a lower level apt with private walkout entrance and two bedrooms.  One as its own egress window, the other bedroom does not.  Must each bedroom have its own egress window?

@-Mr--2  Legally, it would depend on local fire regulations. Practically and safety-wise it would kind of depend on the layout. If a bedroom with no windows had a door that opened right out onto the garden, and the bed was a few steps from the door, it wouldn't be a firetrap, but still might be against general fire regs. I'm not sure that a window per se is required, but there are supposed to be 2 egress routes from a bedroom, in case one is impassable due to a fire.