Loosing passion for hosting

Ivanka-and-George0
Level 3
Bratislava, Slovakia

Loosing passion for hosting

After 132 reviews, out of which 128 5-star, and one full-time year on Airbnb, today we lost our passion for hosting. Not because we received a partially negative review from a guest who complained that he had only the chance to check in at 2 pm when we actually offered 3 different alternatives. Not because, although this review was just partially based on the true, the position of the Airbnb support is to not to remove this such of reviews, because it helps to generate an "honest" portrayal of the variety of experiences that our hosts and guests have with each other. But the reason why we are seriously considering to quit on hosting is because of the poor quality of the support we received. We opened the case with a detailed analysis of the incident, including also quotes from the recorded chats. The result? Just some cold answers, copied and pasted from standard templates, from two "case managers" who quickly closed the case without so many motivations. They did not even spend 5 minutes of their time to make a phone call, despite we requested a call-back. Is this how we get recognized for being an outstanding super-host,  after a whole year opening the doors of our house to Airbnb guests? Definitely frustrating. 

40 Replies 40
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ivanka-and-George0,

Welcome to the Community Center. 

I am sad to read your post here. I am not a member of our Support Team, so I don't know the specific of your case, but I am sorry to hear you are feeling deheartened by your recent experience.

It sounds like hosting has been a major part of your life for the last year and with such wonderful reviews as you have, that you put a huge amount of time and effort into hosting. 

I really hope you won't stop hosting and I want you to know that I will pass on your feedback. 

Thanks,
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Dear Lizzie, 

thank you so much for taking the time to write a message to us.  

That's true, during the last year we have been investing a lot of energy and time into providing an excellent hospitality and keeping our guests comfortable and happy.

We believe that it was just an isolated case and we are sure that, moving forward, continuing to provide a good experience to our Guests, we will receive positive reviews that reflect our commitment to hosting. 

We sincerely appreciate your support and we wish you all the best.

George and Ivanka.

LIzzie, I just had my first nightmare guest after a year and half of stellar reviews. Here's a list of what they did:

- Held a part until 2:30 am Sunday night. We've a no party rule. I had to shut it down.

- Had four guests when his inquiry said only one. Nor did they pay for four.

- Left used condom wedged behind a mattress

- Ruined a duvet with blood stains

- Left opened messy food in fridge

- Left furniture on the lawn

- Stains and blunts on the dresser

- Set off fire alarm and didn't notify us. FDNY and alarm company did

- Large coffee press is missing
- A second day of smoking pot

I phoned Airbnb about kicking them out but they said I needed picture proof. Unfortunately, you cannot barge into an apartment in NYC and snap pictures without a warrant. I requested they send me an additional 195.00 for the missing, damaged and extra guests. They replied no with a slew of expletives followed by a bad review. Airbnb Support was useless. They let the review stand giving me the rote answer: "...position of the Airbnb support is to not to remove this such of reviews, because it helps to generate an "honest" portrayal of the variety of experiences that our hosts and guests have with each other." The exact same one Ivanka and George got. 

It puts hosts in a crappy position of having to weigh the risk of protecting their property and enforcing their house rules or bad rating. Airbnb needs to resolve this conflict of incentives right away. Meanwhile, I'm already filling out the VRBO application.

J25
Level 5
Coopers Beach, New Zealand

I overheard someone talking about a host who advertised 3 to stay when 7 turned up.

When I was speaking to the support crew on phone they said to immediately ring them and they would sort it by booking them into other places!

This shold have happened unless they sneaked others in when you weren't looking.

We have a noise control here.  Usually through your council.  Check out your council.  All music should not be heard after 11pm at night.

A couple of answers for you.

But if you put the number of beds beside number of folks then they would be sleeping on the floor.  But I guess they would use a sofa and maybe 3 in a bed!

I have not had that problem as I have only single bed and double sofa bed.

Take care and have your support knowledge to act if necessary.

I had folks bring in a camping gas stove into my property.  I was horrified and only knew when they wanted to recycle the gas cannister.  There have been explosions from them.  No way.  Outside only.

cheers J.

@J That host who had a bunch of people show up is my neighbor. Three were booked for an efficiency apartment that can hold 4 (full sized bed, sleeper sofa). It's a beautiful place but there isn't remotely room for 8 people there. Still, the girl threw a birthday party (not allowed), then when asked to quiet down answered the door in her underwear. Stains on the bed, ruined towels, and a ton of people leaving in the morning.

The host didn't realize how many people the guest "snuck" into the apartment until the security camera on our driveway caught them leaving one at a time. Sigh.

I asked them to report it and since I have a clear view of the space from my home I would alert them as well. Like the time when three guests showed up with three large dogs and looked nervous when I stopped to observe.

My advice on guests like this is to leave a public comment refuting their comments. The general public will see your response on your page and that should blunt the affect.

I do think Airbnb could do a lot more to support hosts. We are the "engine" that makes the platform work.

We have been hosts for 3 years and have 8 listings. We have noticed a MARKED decline in quality of customer service from Airbnb over the past year (I mostly attribute this to the explosive growth of the company and subsequent "growing pains.") We continuously average more than double market rents (with an average of 70% occupancy) so even the less-than-great experiences still make it worth it for us and, in fact, we no longer have ANY traditional tenants (which present far more headaches in our 30-year experience as landlords.) We have had a few reviews that were not accurate (and one that was retaliatory) that even WITH photos proving were not accurate Airbnb will not remove. While this is discouraging for those of us who work so hard to be exceptional hosts, I do not find those poor reviews to have hampered my bookings in the least (and I always leave a response on those.) As far as NY laws, I cannot speak to that, but Airbnb guests are NOT tenants and I know they are not protected under tenant/landlord laws in CA and OK (my only experiences---as an aside I HATED VRBO.) However, even under tenancy laws in both CA and OK, landlords have the right to enter on 24 hours notice unless an emergency and then they may enter any time. I have had to enter one Airbnb because the water heater pilot light went out and the appliance serves both upstairs and downstairs (one Airbnb guest notified me of the hot water being out and the appliance was in the unit of the other guest who was not present.) 

All in all, we find hosting on Airbnb to be far better than the alternatives (e.g., housing traditional tenants, VRBO, etc.) 

Best to all,

Bridgette

We are finding the same. The revenue more than compensates for the lost rent and we have use of the apartment for our own family part-time on top of that. On average, the guests (with a few exceptions) are treating the apartment better than the past two-three tenants so we're able to stabliize the building.  I really enjoy the experience, but do think customer service needs to eomply grown-ups who don't need a "script" to answer questions. It's particularly annoying for those of us who've worked for corporations and know how this stuff works and when it's "not working" as described. 

Most annoying? Not telling the host specifically how a guest is vetted when asked, and not requiring an accurate profile photo of the guest.

I agree,  I also noticed a marked decline in host support.  New Airbnb reservation policies are also slanted to the guest and do not support the host. 

Ivanka and George,

I totally agree with you and have the exact same feeling and experience with support staff, but not the 1st line support but the case managers who should be the ones prepared to review in detail your situation and case. After I understood I was being completely ignored I tried to appeal to someone else and the reply I had was “if you need to deal with this case contact your case manager” !

How can I complain about this case manager if the only person there is, is the person I am complaining about?

Whatever you say and do, no matter the documents you gather, they don’t even bother to answer anymore.

Plus the guest is out there, scamming and stealing other hosts, and this case manager don’t even bother to do something about it.

I have found I was completely wrong about Airbnb care and concern.

Lizzie,

I hope some sort of 2nd level of support should be put in place to answer these cases. When my case manager replies to me telling me that she would review the late checkout situation of my case, I reply "which late checkout situation?" - She didn’t even bother to read my case and documents. The 2nd email again with wrong information about the case. Pretty evident she was not paying any attention to the case. 

If you devote yourself to the art and profession of hosting with love and care, people like this is the same of just dropping a bucket of cold ice into your head, each time you talk to them

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Lizzie said:

"I really hope you won't stop hosting and I want you to know that I will pass on your feedback."

"Thanks,
Lizzie"

@Ivanka0&George

Please let us know how AirBnB follows up on your post after Lizzie passes on your comment.

From reading these forums I get a sense that many hosts may be right behind you in de-listing their properties from AirBnB.

AirBnB support seems to be definitely lacking.

Perhaps AirBnB can put up a Community Good News Forum where AirBnB lists and credits themselves for solving hosting problems with verifiable incidents and hosts.

The over-riding sense I get from reading these forums is that AirBnB does not adequately support hosts.

Of could it be that we never hear about AirBnB coming to the rescue of hosts who ask for support.

Maybe AirBnB could set up a rating system for themselves where they get rated for their response.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John0 (can't seem to tag you). I have had the opposite experience, i.e. I have had really great customer support from Airbnb, including having a retalitory review removed and, another time, them contacting problem guests and telling them to follow my rules or leave without a refund.

I even started a thread about it, because I got the feeling that people only post when something goes wrong, not when it goes right. I think this is true because a lot of the responses to my thread were from hosts who said they also received excellent customer service.

However, it's really worrying that the level of service is so inconsistent. One rep tells a host something is simply not possible and there is nothing they can do to help, while another is 100% helpful to a host with  the same problem and it is sorted out quickly.

If something is against what Airbnb claims to be their own policy and their own rules, then they have no right to backtrack on that, for example, the claim that the Host Guarantee has us our backs, or that guests have to follow our rules or be held accountable. They need to deliver what they promise and deliver it consistently.

If I had any advice to other hosts experiencing problems with getting support, I would say don't email in the first instance. From what I can tell, this doesn't get very positive results. Always call and speak to a rep in person (and do it calmly). This might work, it might not, but I think there is a better chance than if you just email.

Cesar130
Level 2
Cebu City, Philippines

Cesar of IHOP from Cebu Philippines

I've sent several complaints to airbnb which insisted in offering  per night charges very much below my designated charges. I have cancelled my "smart pricing" and all discounts for guests and insisted that airbnb follow my designated per night price. Airbnb persists in offering per night price very much below my pricing. Who is supposed to set the pricing, airbnb or the host?

J25
Level 5
Coopers Beach, New Zealand

Hi there Cesar

I refuse to be taken for a ride by Airbnb.  My price and that's it.  Stay 2 nights or more not 1 night.  They say it is only a suggestion but it nerves me.

Just ignore the requests and do not allow them the control.  Your place, your price.  Take care and stay in control.  J.

Monique246
Level 10
Beaussais-sur-Mer, France

César je suis tout à fait de votre avis