Lower Rate on Top of Discounted Rate

Nicole563
Level 3
Morristown, TN

Lower Rate on Top of Discounted Rate

A guest messaged me about 2 monthes ago asking whether I have discounted monthly rate. She said she’s a medical student, and she doesn’t get paid doing her rotations in the local hospital.  I do and I messaged her the monthly rate. She said she was still looking.  A few days ago, she asked me whether I could lower the rate if she doesn’t stay on weekends. Fair enough, I gave her a lowere rate. She said it’s above her budget, she had to think about it. Today she asked me whether I could lower the rate more. At this point, I am so over it! By the way, she is a Superhost with a few listings in other state.

14 Replies 14
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

While I understand the guest needs to stay within her budget, it is not your problem.  Don't accept her reservation.  Bargaining is one of the best red flags per almost every host that has posted about it here.

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Nicole563 She has searched for a while and still came back. It means that your price is low enough to beat others. There is no more reason to lower more. And she is going to be a long-term guest. If she demands so much prior to booking, I can foresee more demanding requests from her during the stay.

If I were you, I would take @Linda108 's suggestion and not to accept her request.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Nicole563 I don't know why I find it particularly galling that she's a SuperHost!

Me too! 

@Ann72 @Nicole563 Maybe you can ask her if she likes to accept a guest haggling and requesting a lowball offer.

Just checked her prices on her listings, hers are cheaper than mine. I guess she is using her prices as the “ standard guideline” .

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Don't even entertain the notion. If you do then your 28+ day discount is too high. Try lowering it to find your sweet spot and your only reply will be, "No, the monthly discount is the lowest available." For me 30% off the nightly rate will cover one day of the mortgage, one day of the condo maintenance fees, one day of water, and depending on ac usage, one day of electricity, plus one pint for me. That's it, it pays for itself and I get a drink at the end of the day. I never have to think about haggling. 

I am so over it at this point. She can find herself some **bleep**holes in this town for much cheaper price. 

these "delicate/demanding" Guests are never going to be happy [therefore won't give a "5-star" review] .... -I usually direct them to a local hotel [@ 5X the price] -I even provide them with the Hotel website so they can compare.... -lol

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Nicole563 

You are never going to win with this person. When she checks in she is going to find something that keeps her from justifying the price and you know she is going to complain. I would let her know that maybe this isn't working out and that she would have better piece of mind in a place that fits her budget. See what she says. I also bet she is paying hundreds in taxes and Airbnb service fees. This may be her subtle way of saying let's ditch Airbnb. Likely, she wants you to take the hit so she can justify the taxes and fees.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Nicole563 Usually, what I do on those cases I withdrawn my discount % and raise prices and stop any more discussion that usually sends a clear message 

I did the no discount thing to a 4 star guest once who wanted to stay for 3 months. I didn’t want him, because he had only 4 stars. I guess he was not able to find a better place with the price I am charging, he instant booked me for 2 nights after I declined him, I had to call AirB&B to cancel it for me because I felt really uncomfortable with the booking. 

@Nicole563 

I would never accept a guest who isn't willing to pay my normal  rates. Whenever I get an inquiry from a guest who asks for a discount, I immediately send a special offer that is waaay higher than my normal rates and tell the guest that haggling is rude and unappreciated so good luck finding a place than better suits your budget. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 Lol I love you even more.  I might try that some day.  I usually take the passive aggressive route:  “I’m so sorry the place doesn’t fit your budget.  Good luck finding something that does!”