Medinceli village Spain

Fiona196
Level 2
Beauly, GB

Medinceli village Spain

Is the community or Airbnb aware of the terrible barbaric festival held in Medinceli where a young bull is burned to death after being held down by men in firesuits who tie a log doused in tarr between his horns and set it on fire.  This is a barbaric and cruel ritual and all right minded people around the World would be appalled and boycott this village.   Animal welfare authorities have tried for years to put a stop to this accoridng to CIWF Spain who I contacted but authorities of Leon and Castille support this financially and it makes it very difficult to stop. This year 200 police stopped protestors  attending.  Surely tourists will not attend this awful spectacle.  Animals should not be used in this day and age as a source of entertainment in this way.

There is a petition to go to the Pope of Rome being raised on Change .Org now and an article in the Mail Newspaper has graffic pictures of the above act which would shock anyone seeing the poor creature standing in bewilderment while burning alive and being taunted at the same time before being dragged off and butchered.  Bull fighting is bad enough.

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Fiona196,

The correct name of the city is: Medinaceli

The event is called "Toro de Jubilo"

I read the articles on the Internet. It seems the bull is not burned to death, but is it still a disgusting tradition. But why post it in this community ?

Do you suggest Airbnb hosts should not provide accomodation in this village during the festival (second week of november) or encourage guest not to go there ?

Best regards,

Emiel

Hello EmielSorry typo missed out the a.  Anyway back to the subject of Spain's inhumanity to animals and the appauling record the country has with regard to animal cruelty.

It is said tourists keep these sadistic rituals going. At least they  blame them and agencies who promote these events according to the League for Cruelty to Animals in Sport.  Rather I would blame the people of the town who continue to support this disgusting event and the organisers and officials of the region who support and fund it. (  I quote CIWF Spain who have been trying to stop this and bullfighting for 20 years or more.

The title "Toro de Jubilo" is misleading as there is nothing jubilant certainly not for the poor bull.

Airbnb and Tripadvisor are among the travel agencies who do not advertise these events but some still do. 

At least we agree it is a disgusting event and should not be encouraged. 

I could not beleive it  when Change.Org sent it as a petition to support and sign but when I googled it and read about it in the Mail on Line and saw the horrific pictures of the distressed animal I felt very upset.  I just want others to be aware of this sort of thing still happening in this day and age.

PS  If you read my comments correctly I do not say the bull is "burned to death" but is burned with hot sparks  etc then after 45 minutes taken away and killed and butchered. Parts given to so called brave men who have taunted it without mercy.

Fiona

Emiel1
Level 10

OK, whatever it is, it is a disgusting way of treating animals.

Fiona196
Level 2
Beauly, GB

I would ask tourists not to visit this village or promote this brutality sponsored by the government accoridng to CIFA Spain.   40000 protestors took to the streets in June of this year mostely Spanish to stop bull fighting and this sort of event. 

Spain should be ashamed of its cruelty to animals record.

Didnt see picture of the event in the airbnb pics of Medinaceli.

Some tourist agencies promote bull fighting to tourists.  Not Airbnb I'm told. At least Airbnb published this unlike Tripadvisor.

Emiel1
Level 10

So for those who do not know the event, here is the link to the article in the Daily Mail (be prepared for unpleasant  pictures):

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2232031/Toro-Jubilo-The-grotesque-Spanish-bull-burning-fest...