Minimum Age of Guests

Minimum Age of Guests

We have been hosting for several years and just like many other hosts we have noted that younger guests are more headaches then it is worth. So we have included in our house rules that we have a minimum age of 25 yrs old. AirBNB "Help Pages" states that Verified info is limited how it is shared with hosts. Here's the posting:

What gets shared with your host

If you’re asked for a government ID, the following may be shared with your host:

• The first name on your ID
  • Whether you’re over or under 25 years old
  • Whether your ID has been successfully added
  • Your profile photo and profile name

The following will never be shared with your host or anyone else who uses Airbnb:

• The photo of your ID
  • The photo you take of yourself (if you’re asked to do that)

So here's the million dollar question... As a host how do I get the "shared" information? I've been searching around for 2 hours now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Anthony-and-Lynn0 You can't limit guests to over 25 unless you have housing association rules where under 25s would be prohibited. You'll get booted off the platform for that.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Anthony-and-Lynn0. If a potential guest reports that you are disciminating based on age, AirBNB will delist you unless you live in a community that is age-restricted. AirBNB accepts accounts from anyone 18 and older.

I have never been given the age of a guest and I do require a government ID.

My property is a small condo association  which has age restrictions for tenancy. I have disregarded the rule in the past without issue, until the last group. Police were at the property several times and tenants created conflicts with other unit owners. I cannot risk trouble with the association for the sake of a few days rented. My original posting was a quote from the airbnb site regarding sharing age. Airbnb posted that not me. Can you offer any help navigating towards the information that airbnb claims to share with hosts?

Thanks

Did you get your question resolved?  We had an incident last summer that I questioned if anyone was over 18.  They were all young and irresponsible to the extend of leaving a boat unsecured to float off down the river.  I think hosts should have the right to place an age restriction for rental to at least coincide to what the State Licensing rules are for hotels and motels.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Anthony-and-Lynn0 In three years I’ve rented to plenty of folks over and under 25 years old and I’ve NEVER seen abb include this info. 

If that help notice was helpful it would say “abb May share this, but we likely Never will.”

Ali24
Level 2
Romsey, GB

I have just had a request from a parent of a 16 year old who is coming to work nearby on a weeks work experience and is asking us to host him.  I have replied with a number of questions, such as would he expect dinner, laundry, wake up call, has he ever stayed away from home before etc, does he drink, smoke etc and am waiting for a response.  It is plum in the middle of summer too which could translate to a busy time.  The parent doesn’t have any Airbnb stays/profile - profile created it seems for this purpose.  Also I have made it clear that we would not be ‘looking after’ him.  What is your advice and wonder if there is an Airbnb policy on this? Thanks. 

@Ali24  I would definitely decline the request. It's a security and insurance issue for you to have an underage guest, and it's a third party booking, which is against the TOS. If anything happened , you won't be covered. The fact that the parents have no history with Airbnb, no reviews,  just makes this a total red flag.

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

hi @Anthony-and-Lynn0 : In an attempt to answer your question, I will ask you one. Do you have Instant Book turned on? A great deal of the "extra" information is not available to hosts that do NOT have IB available. I won't use it, for my own reasons. And again it does say "may be shared" not will be shared. :o/  You might try going through the messaging system for AirBnB assitance. I find that the folks that monitor that seem to be pretty helpful and generally knowledgable. Go here: https://www.airbnb.com/help and scroll down to Contact Us, and go from there. Good Luck! 

Ali24
Level 2
Romsey, GB

Yes  I do have instant book on.  Thanks for all the help