Moderate Cancellation Policy

Debbie96
Level 8
Oxford, United Kingdom

Moderate Cancellation Policy

I have a guest with me right now with a long reservation extended another 12 days. 

He now has an offer from a friend to stay here in our city for 'free' or for much less and wants to  alter his reservation and leave today. 

I know better than to try to bring out my cancellation policy, disappointment or how it's inconvenient for me.   I told him I understood why he wanted to make the change, to contact AIRBNB with his request and that they would handle it for him.

I have documented through the AIRBNB msg service what he said at the breakfast table:   about wanting to stay with his friend for free, "enjoying our breakfasts and being very happy with his room and stay while here"....he confirmed all of this with a return message.   

He has now sent a change request --- after today's check out time, to check out today!   While I have a moderate cancellation policy, the refund of this request does NOT reflect the fact that I should be receiving 50% of the remainder number of days as per the moderate cancellation policy.

I'm told him that I cannot approve any change until AFTER he checks out.   Which makes total sense to me.   Once he's gone, I can then deal with the discrepancy of pay out and how much.   I feel that doing otherwise would increase the the threat of a potential revenge review.   

Hope this helps others.

As far as I can tell, these so-called MODERATE or STRICT cancellation policies are only things to make the hosts feel like they have some coverage.   In reality, what I have learned is that when a guest sends a changes a reservation, AIRBNB sends through the changes to the host exactly the same as it would look with a flexible policy automatically giving the guest a full refund!

It's now clear to me that this moderate or strict cancellation policy means nothing unless the host makes a fuss.   Of course, making a fuss without careful documentation will, more than likely, result in a revenge review.

Hope this is helpful to other hosts.

26 Replies 26

@Debbie96  My guess is that airbnb refunded the guest because the guest refused to cancel and you expressed that you didn't want him in your home afterwards. I totally understand why you wouldn't and I don't understand why airbnb didn't explain to him that he wasn't entitled to a refund just because he decided to leave earlier than expected - that he should respect the cancellation policy he signed up for. It is incredible unfair to you 😕

Debbie96
Level 8
Oxford, United Kingdom

I'm learning from what I read as well as experience is that AIRBNB is all about the guest and certainly not the host.   Whatever 'policies' they may appear to have in place to protect the host are merely a mirage.   

At least now I know what not to expect.   

Knowing what I now know to be true, I do the following:

1.  Never ever do Instant Booking

2. Always assume whatever changes the guest wants will be honored

3.  Carefully vet each and every reservation request

4. Never agree to a lower price than listed.   Every guest that has done this is a problem who will continually ask or manipulate for more.

5.  Don't believe that the name listed is their real name.   I learned from this experience that my guest used a different name on his AIRBNB listing than his real name.   AIRBNB knew this and said they had verified his real identity but he was using this 'alias' as his "English" name.   Sure.

6.  It never pays to play hardball with the guest.  They will leave a bad review or AIRBNB will wear you down with their endless messages and requests for phone calls and transferring to another representative.    

Not much more to add, so far.  But, I would welcome any other advice or tips from other Hosts.   

@Debbie96 I have had requests like yours and the tactic I have used is to tell the guest that unfortunately it is no longer possible to modify the reservation because it has happend during the stay or just before the stay - so not enough time for someone else to rebook. I tell that the cancellation policy will kick in when they cancel because they have booked and blocked the dates so no one else could book. I'm always very firm and write it as if there is no other way. And I'm always very, very nice when I explain it. That way it will be harder for them to leave a bad review. Either the guest has just accepted or I have had guest contact airbnb. The last one was in September. 2 girls wanted a refund 3 days before check-in. They sent me a request and I told them what I just wrote. They contacted airbnb who then asked me if I would refund/modify the reservation. I told airbnb the same as I told the girls that if someone new booked I would refund those days and otherwise asked them to please respect the cancellation policy. Airbnb has always accepted my cancellation policy. And I have been lucky with those guests who did leave during the reservation. None of them ever left me a bad review - only ones but that was only the star rating. 

@Sandra856  That is the perfect approach - firm but friendly.  They'll set boundaries if you don't, and theirs will be way past yours.

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

By creating an Airbnb account all, without exception, accept the Terms of Service, in particular

"...

9.1 Hosts and Guests are responsible for any modifications to a booking that they make via the Airbnb Platform or direct Airbnb customer service to make ("Booking Modifications"), and agree to pay any additional Listing Fees, Host Fees or Guest Fees and/or Taxes associated with such Booking Modifications.

..."

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

@Ricardo85 Yeah, but what if the modification is not accepted or confirmed - then the host shouldn't be punished. What you are refering to is about the responsibility the host/guest got to a confirmed modification. 

@Sandra856 I expect that some of the hosts on this platform/chatroom are 'shills' that promote AIRBNB interests.   Reading some very unsympathetic replies to other posts just sound like someone spewing the company line to me.

Like I was saying, I'm wise now to the fact that AIRBNB uses me and my home and services as a vehicle to make them money.   What they really care about are the guests who pay them the big bucks, bigger commissions and generate the lion share of profits.   Hosts are merely given lips service.  

The sooner hosts understand this, the quicker they can wake up and be more proactive at protecting their own interests and not believe for a minute that AIRBNB would really side with a host to protect their interest with regards to a guest.   It ALL lip service.   Read the posts and they all confirm what I now believe to be true.

@Debbie96 I have been a regular in this community for quite a while and my impression is that there is no "sugar coating". You will find lots and lots and lots of angry posts - and this is also a window for airbnb to see exactly what is happening in the host/guest land. They wouldn't get a real picture if they used "shills". You will of course also find a lot of ordinary posts on "How to be a great host" and "How to decorate a bedroom" and other "happy go lucky" posts.

The regulars in this community is usually quite critical of airbnb. I haven't noticed any hosts meddling with airbnb propaganda. Some might have different opinions or maybe they don't understand the "grey zones". 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Debbie96 ,

As @Sandra856 and @Ann72 attest to, as the community team here on the CC never sensor opinion. The only time contents may be tweaked or removed is if it violates the Community Guidelines. 

Thanks for sharing your views,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Debbie96 , @Ricardo85 is not a shill.  I believe he was trying to be helpful.

I take @Sandra856's approach 100%.  I have a strong interest in sharing my house with guests and zero interest in letting anyone take advantage of me.  To a recent guest who asked, "What are the cleaning fee and service fee for?" I answered, "No one has ever asked me that, I guess because if they can afford it they don't have to."  That turned him around fast, he booked, came, and left one of the best reviews ever.

From the first minute I used Airbnb I never expected anything from them but a useful platform and a method of collecting the money.  I charge what I want, not what they suggest, I take statements about being responsible for setting the cancellation policy and listing price at face value, and I smacked them down hard the one time they tried to get me to give an undeserving guest a refund. 

Be the iron hand in the velvet glove and you'll do great.

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Ann72 

Thank you.

"...

From the first minute I used Airbnb I never expected anything from them but a useful platform and a method of collecting the money. I charge what I want, not what they suggest, I take statements about being responsible for setting the cancellation policy and listing price at face value, and I smacked them down hard the one time they tried to get me to give an undeserving guest a refund.

..."

People should use this phrase as a mantra. So they would use Airbnb to their advantage and not against.

"Be the iron hand in the velvet glove and you'll do great."

❤️

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Thanks, @Ricardo85 🙂