My first bad experience with guests

Moran0
Level 2
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel

My first bad experience with guests

Hi Comunity,

I've been an airbnb host for 3 years now, I love being a host, and unfortunately this is my first bad experience with guests and I'm in a dilemma.

My guests are 2 young students, a couple, who has come to do a semester in my city.

I was excited about it, I'm a student myself, it's not the first time I'm having long-term guests, I'm in pretty close touch with my last 3 long-term guests until today and it was pretty sad when they had to leave.

My current guests has arrived at the beginning of the month and will stay for 2 more months. They are nice young people, but the have no sense for a person's space. Since they have arrived I feel like they have taken a lot of my space at home and there's only a little left for me, they don't follow the house rules, although I hate to call it rules, it's mostly common sense - not to leave the lights on, not to leave the boiler switch on, I have asked several times to keep the doors closed for I have pets, but several times a day I find myself closing doors and switching lights of.

They cook meat and fish although I'm vegan and I asked to respect that 😞

The girl walks around the house with her music on speakers, or on-speaker phone calls

They invited people to my apartment at 12:30 at night without a notice

I have no room in my fridge. That sounds ridiculous but I do have no room for my stuff

When they return from the beach they hang their cloths full of beach sand just like that, without even shaking some of the sand off, and since it swifts easily across the apartment, I find myself cleaning sand off the couch, the tables, my bed

The guy walks around in his boxers or starting random conversations with me wrapped only in a towel, sometimes his focus shifts to keeping the towel from falling off, and it it's clear he is not comfortable with that, and mostly I'm not comfortable with that, so why would he put himself in that situation in the first place?

I don't know, I'm a little confused since I have never been in that situation before. I was never before so specific about things that bother me, and I feel like those things are only piling up. I don't want to be the one that walks after them pointing out what they are doing wrong, I'm not their boss, nor their mother, and mostly because it will exhaust me and make them feel unwelcome. I also don't want to set rules needs to be follow because I'm used to a more harmonic way of sharing a space together.

I don’t feel at home in my own home, I’m thinking twice before returning home, and it distracts me from studying. Therefore I'm strongly thinking about shorting they're stay here, refunding the rest of their money and giving them time to find a different place. It saddens me to do so, but I see no other way.

What would you have done?

14 Replies 14
Maggie10
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

....ask them to leave! They are taking over you house and life which is NOT the idea of airbnb. They are definitely takin gadvantage of you and your generosity. Maggie

Moran0
Level 2
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel

Thank you, @Maggie10

@Donna15, thank you, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and support.

I have made contact with airbnb and was advised to flag the reservation, so they will be refunded for the time they haven't stayed.

I understand what you mean about being more specific on the house rules, and I've had guests leaving beach sand after them, or forgetting lights on, or not doing dishes, or not locking the fron door even when at home. and that's fine, because it happens, and usually a  simple request close it up. Sometime I prefer to let things be, sometimes it's not a big deal. But never felt I need to point out EVERYTHING someone's doing wrong.

So maybe I should be more clear on my listing page, but I get the feeling that some people just have no clue about how their behaviour effect their surrounding, never mind how clear and detailed one can be. And I believe that's the case.

@Moran0, I'm glad you've taken a step to resolve the matter. 

I agree that there are always little things that a host can choose to overlook if, on the whole, a guest's visit has been positive, and if those 'little things' are in no way intentional or damaging.

(For instance, I recently had two lovely guests for two nights. Though they came down for breakfast later than the 'official' time, and checked out about an hour after the 'official' time, I didn't feel it was worth mentioning this to them. For one thing, these small 'breaches' didn't involve any inconvenience on my part, and  the guests had been ideal in every other respect: always pleasant, courteous, clean, and quiet when they arrived home late in the evening. They'd also made a point of keeping me updated about their arrival time when it was delayed due to an adjusted train schedule.)

An advantage of having firm and clear House Rules, though, is that they give hosts something concrete to show AirBnB if they have good reasons to want guests to be removed or rehoused. 

The House Rules are always included in the confirmation of booking, so guests have no excuse to say they weren't aware of them. Even if they didn't read them, that would be no excuse.

Moran0
Level 2
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel

@Donna15, You are right. I understand it's importans better now. I was afraid to sound too stiff by having house rules but I guess sometimes a bad experiance (or a good one) can put things in perspecive.

Thank you, I will do so (:

Enjoy your hosting!

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Moran0, as they're clearly taking advantage and breaking your house rules - plus causing you to feel uncomfortable within your own home - in your shoes, I would contact AirBnB and ask for the guests to be rehoused. If you feel they'd be open to discussion,  you could sit down with them first and explain specifically what's causing you concern. Inform them that if they're not able to stop their current behaviour and stick to clear boundaries, you'd prefer them to cut short their stay. 

For future purposes, I strongly suggest that you make your House Rules much more specific and clear. Terms like 'put your heart and mind to' - while appealing on a human level - are far too vague for the business of hosting. For one thing, you need to mention that non-guests are not permitted in your home without your pemission first. And so on. 

Good luck. 🙂

Hi Moran,

I've learned that being upfront is best, lay down the rules and draw the boundaries right at the beginning in a  friendly and relaxed way before it becomes a headache. There is nothing wrong with telling people how you would like them to behave in your home.   I recommend a  list of house rules, then both you and your guest are on the same page from day one. If they don't like it they don't have to make a reservation.

When I  have had to say something to  vistors  (luckily,  I have only had two)  they were surprised that their behavior was cause for concern and discomfort and sorry that they didn't think about what they were doing.  It really does clear the air.

I have a list of rules on the site that way people can read it and decide before hand if it is too restrictive for them.  Many guests have joked about my list and how obvious it is.  I guess the people who didn't like it, didn't make a reservation.

Best for sorting it.

Josh9
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

You can cancel their reservation, even during their stay, for violating your House Rules. Your House Rules are emailed to the guest upon booking, if I understand correctly, so they have been informed of them. 

I have politely talked to guests when they have violated rules, and explained why the rules are in place, and why they are important and need to be followed. In your case, which is extreme, it sounds like you have done that, and your guests just don't care. If I were you, I would cancel the reservation and get them out.

I am not sure if the guests will get a refund for their remaining days. I have not been able to find that information anywhere. (If anyone knows, please respond to this! 🙂 Thanks...Josh

Nelly0
Level 5
Los Angeles, CA

I have the same experience lately specially with American tenants:(. Unfortunately Airbnb as I believe puts unbalanced pressure on the host by keeping us " hosts " being dependable on good reviews and our guests know that and sometimes hold us hostage to these reviews:((

Less0
Level 2
Milwaukee, WI

I had a bad experience police came he asked me how much did I charge for two night rental when I told him his exact words "Your making money your a landlord deal with it" 

after he sa he was right you must make sure that you charge the proper amount that way when your inconvenience at the end of the day it's all well worth it it's like a business and if your making good money factor all that into the cost perhaps your not charging enough but that great advise has helped me I don't sweat the small stuff I think of you the profit I'm making and will have once they leave by the way I'm a business owner and in my shop I put up with annoying customers so why not Airbnb it's a business these aren't friends your letting stay for free raise your prices so it's worth it 

Seems like you have had alot of good suggestions.

Yes talking to them to explain the rules and boundaries will help but honestly if I were you I get them out, they are not worth the trouble or stress.

Usually when long term rentals , you have a month's maximum to cancel.

You should also call Airbnb hotline and talk to an agent and voice your concern about them.

First thing is get them out without any problems. You don't need more of this behaviour.

Please have photos of evidence to back up your claim, from mess they left, bills to highlight your expenses if it has gone up if that helps, proof of unwelcome vistors, even your fridge space.  You can also ask them to leave, those unwelcome midnight guests, it's your place not theirs, and your guests are renting the space to rest and sleep , not to entertain. Also confirm that by them breakng your rules and not respecting your space, they are no longer valued guests and have presented to be troublesome to Airbnb.

Don't feel bad about having reprecussions from Airbnb or guest reviews should that happen. In this line of business , you either want good guests or bad guests. If you are dealt with the latter, you are going to lose more than just money.

Stress is something you do not want to have especially one encrouching on your personal space.

I'm reading up on how many crapspectualar guests are on Airbnb and quite frankly not impressed with the lack of control of quality guests if we have quality hosts. I just had one who have managed to lose my spare bed sheets and still find the time to be late for check out and not one apology and continue the debate when I told him what was needed to be done.

Most times with these types of guests I realised they have one thing in common, they figured out that because they are paying , they are entitled and have the power. Quite frankly if you know how Airbnb works, and have been a good, fair and accommodating host. Airbnb can work in your favour and have guests like these out.

Also I am getting sick of dealing with guests like this. If a guest says I would like to consider other options , I reply sure, please refer to my terms and conditions of how to do this and proceed with Airbnb no matter how long and short they stay and if they are bad bad ones, doing illegal stuff, I call the police and get them involved. I had drug dealers on my first time with Airbnb.

As a host you shouldn't  feel bad and shouldn't feel cornered and if guests wants to move out because they truly aren't happy at mine then it will make my life so much easier having happier guests.

If guests are difficult ,I give them options. It's either this or this, if they have a problem with it ask them to refer it to Airbnb but those are your choices. If they start black mailing you about getting you into trouble or giving dishonest bad reviews, you can always present this to Airbnb. 

Whatever you do, it's your home. You are the ones setting the rules and the directions of how you would like your home to be treated. If guests can't behave , I am all in in having them banned from Airbnb.

By the way, I don't like the subject that Airbnb might 'rehouse' them.

The problem still remains. Airbnb should do a 3 warning , should three strikes happen from 3 different hosts, at any given time or short amount of period. 

BAN for LIFE. 

And should they chose to rehouse these guests, they should place them on alert system that alerts potenial hosts of strike warning. I wouldn't want to have guests that have just made a mess, have guests at 12.30 and be incosiderate. 

You do the naughtie you do the time. 

@Moran0

I mostly host long-term (exchange students till now) and although most of the time guests are great, I think as a host we need to always be prepared for the worst-case scenario (= a guest who is disrespectful of house rules and has no common sense or decency towards people sharing the same living space.) 

I have very extensive descriptions and house rules. One of the reasons is to manage expectations. Especially with long term guests, I always check whether they have read my house rules and I also rely on my gut feeling. If something doesn't feel right based on a few messages going back and forth, are you really willing to live with that person for weeks and months??? 

Any hint of a violation of a house rule, I would start sending messages via Airbnb asking them nicely to be more mindful and respect my house rules. For things not in my house rules because I thought it was common sense, I would start my messages with "I didn't think I'd have to state the obvious so I never thought to include this in my house rules, but~" and say whatever you want to say. Then end with a smiley face. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Moran0. I will take a philosophical approach versus getting into specifics already well covered by others.

By the sound of it, you are a sweetheart of a person, and very inclusive and tolerant. You have encountered a set of humans that are  not necessarily bad, BUT totally self-centered. To them is totally about them. People like you (angelic, God bless them) will always be taken advantage by the such clueless types, it is a mis-match from the outset.

While I am not too much into 'House Rules', since in my place they can do whatever they want (separate places). In your case, you do have to set 'parameters' (aka House Rules') for the ~potential~ of encountering such people. Specially since it concerns your private space; at present you are counting on ALL persons to 'know better', but some will not.

Yes, they have to go, and yes you should use this valuable experience to pre-empt from happening again by being more explicit, in writing, 'just in case'.

Being a student, you probably love learning and as you know is a heck of a lot of fun.  Take it that way. Good luck.

Barbara921
Level 2
New York, NY

First of all I think you are feeling bad about kicking them out but you are totally right to do this.  You have every right to have your space respected and it seems like that has not been the case at all. We always stay in a place that is for us only as I find it akward to be in someone elses space.. we have done that before and its not as comfortable.  I think as a landlord ( as someone put it) there are some things you may need to put up with but what you have described is totally unacceptable ... if they wanted full run of the place then they should have opted for that and not a private room in an apartment.  
I don't know if you checked references but I think that is very important and you sound like a really nice person but you should really write a review about this couple as they will only do this to someone else.
That is my feeling anyway.  You have been patient and so should not feel bad or any guilt about sending them packing.   IMOHO:)