New to Airbnb hosting any tips?

Wendy297
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

New to Airbnb hosting any tips?

Hi All,

I am new to this Airb&b forum. I need plenty help. I live in Cape Town at Dolphin Beach. I have a 4bedroomed apartment on the beach. Have no idea how this works, however, have managed to secure a booking soon. Is this maybe the incorrect forum to ask for help?

Please help.

Wendy

14 Replies 14

@Wendy297, this is an excellent place to ask for help.

Keep in mind, though, that the people here will be able to do a better job if you can ask more specific questions about what you want help with.

Can you tell us any specific topics you need help with?

Wendy297
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thank you Matthwe for your reply. I have managed to secure a good booking over the festive season, however, i have no idea how the payment works. Do you ask for a deposit. In addition, Western Cape is experiencing a serve drought and I feel it my duty to advise the guests. I have sent them a reply but have not had any acknowledgment. Is it fair to ask for some sort of deposit?

appreciate any feedback.

Wendy

@Wendy297, terrific news about getting the good booking!

Regarding the payment: you actually don't do anything. AirBnB will send your payment to you 24 hours after the guest checks in. (I am not sure exactly how the money is sent for listings in South Africa.)

Regarding the deposit: If you want to specify a Security Deposit, you do that in your listing settings. Please be aware that changing it now will NOT affect the booking you already received, as bookings always follow whatever rules/settings/prices that were in place at the time they were made.

Also, please be aware that the AirBnB Security Deposit is not the same as a regular deposit. The guests don't actually pay any money up front for the Security Deposit. You can read the explanation about how AirBnB handles security deposits here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

And yes, it would be good idea to let travelers know about any water restrictions. If there are specific things they must do or avoid doing, please tell them the in detail so there won't be any misunderstandings.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

Ok, your listing is active and you have a booking allready. So what more help do you need ?

I looked at your listing, it seems OK to me, i only wondered about the very small cleaning fee (and the rather high deposit).

You have choosen a min stay of 14 days and a pricelevel wich is not related to the amount of guests (max 6), with a strict cancellation policy. Maybe consider 1 week also ? BTW I did not see a check-out time.

Happy hosting ! Emiel

Wendy297
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Emiel,

Thanks for the response. I am not too concerned about the check out time, if they want a late check out,I am easy. Yes, I got confussed with the cleaning fee. What I meant was the cleaning fee for the check out date. How do I rectify this? Most of all I am concerned that they might cancel at the last minute....then what?

Do they pay a deposit up front?

Thanks for your help so far.

W

Hi Wendy,

I cater for groups of up to 14 guests.

I have a minimum stay of only 2 days.

I do not give discounts for longer stays.

The price is for 10 people with £50 per head per night extra for all guests over 10 in total.

My cancellation policy is strict. I don't want to allow anyone to cancel at the last minute.

I do not ask for a security deposit. Most guests are really nice and will not damage your property, and a deposit is a barrier.

If a guest asks to 'secure' the booking with a part payment now and the rest later, I simply tell them that Airbnb insist on taking the whole payment in advance, and that I don't get my payment until about a week after the guests have left.

If they ask for a discount, I say that I if I take off £50, for example, would they agree to book immediately? 

If they agree, I send them a special offer.

Remember that what you see is the price, is not the price that the guest pays.

To see that, the best way is to click on 'Send Special Offer' and you will see the price that the guest sees.

Just reduce your price there, and you will see the price that the guest pays being reduced accordingly.

To cancel, just press 'Back' and wait for the site to catch up.

Concentrate on making your property so wonderful, that people can't stop themselves booking you!

Don't think that people will book just because you give them a bottle of wine or a bowl of fruit or whatever.

If your property looks really good, they will book!

I give them a starter pack of a small pretty jar of teabags, sugar, instant coffee, longlife milk, handsoap and 3 toilet rolls per toilet.

That's it. I also tell them they can stop at the local shop to stock up on the way in.

You'll get the hang of it!

Best wishes, 

Richard

My Wonderful House

Wendy297
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thank you Richard and all who have helped me so far. Its quite daunting to get into this whole AirB&B thing. I know I have a lot to offer but just unsure of myself and how it all works. I am a real estate agent and can sell properties.......when when it comes to this I am lost. Can you please advise me on payment options. If I choose this pay pal option...how do i get my money?

W

Wendy297
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Guys,

This is my personal home, am i expected to clear everyting out. I am quite happy for guests to use what is in here like kitchen stuff, condements  and stuff like that? they are welcome to make themselves at home. what are the requirements. They are also welcome to use all ammenities and what ever my home has to offer. In the past when I rented out via an agent I had to clear EVERYTHING  out.

W

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Wendy297I would recommend to set the check-out time (it's an option when managing your listing). Almost every listing has it set. The cleaning fee is such a small amount, I would leave it out or increase to something more realistic. There is no payment up front. You will be payed on the day after guests actually check-in. If guests cancel the reservation, cancellation policy turns in, you set it to 'strict'.

Read more about this:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/43/what-happens-if-my-guest-cancels

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/149/what-is-the-airbnb-cancellation-policy

Best regards,Emiel

Wendy297
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Do guests pay a deposit to airb&b or what? I will be going to a lot of trouble to host these people and will have to arrange alternate accommodation. I dont want to be left in the lurch at the last moment.

W

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Guests pay airbnb in full at the time of booking and release the money to the host 24hrs after checkin.

If they cancel you will be paid according to your cancelation policy which is here strict

Wendy297
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

thank you for taking the time to help me.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Wendy297

You'll be fine, If you get stuck post a question no one bites. I have a question for you, your post above mentions 4 bedrooms yet your listing is for 3 bedrooms and you say "I will be in the complex however, away partially." if you intend staying in the 4th bedroom when guests are renting it can't be listed as an entire place. Or maybe you are just locking a bedroom with personal items in it.

Wendy297
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Yes Jeff, I intend to use one bedroom to put my peronal things in. And lock it. So its only 3 beds. Orinally the geuset said there would be only 3 of them now i think he has increased it to 6 so it seems.

appreciate your help.