Older Guests and Expectations

Betsy27
Level 2
Longmont, CO

Older Guests and Expectations

Hi!  I am wondering if anyone else has this issue.  I have had several "older" guests recently that are expecting a 5 star hotel.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm in my 50's.  I seem to get endless calls for information that is clearly listed on my site.  Can't find my place.  Don't know the security code.  There is no toothpaste, soap, etc. I should have "to go" cups for the coffee I provide.  Wanting to use the kitchen.  Wondering where I keep my laundry detergent.  There is no network tv.  What is the Wifi password?  The list goes on.

It seems as though the "millenials" show up to my door, put their things away and go off for an adventure!

Sometimes I want to say, "Really?  For $37/night you expect to use my washer/dryer and detergent?"  Or, "You expected kitchen priviledges?  What 5 star hotel offers that?"

I'm just frustrated because I respond immediately to all guests to read over the description and directions on my listing.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, Betsy

17 Replies 17
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

@Betsy27,

Hi! I know the feeling... I've had much of this happen with certain guests.

My solution? I place an information sheet for the guest right on the bed.

My unit is a studio and the information for everything is in the house manual, but I put the basics on the paper and the last note is: "If you need more information, please consult the house manual on the dresser."

The paper has WiFi password, the basics of the door-lock including their code, where the Keurig Pods are kept, the location of extra toilet paper, soap and shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, aspirin and tylenol, etc.

Most fold  this up and put it in their pocket or purse. I usually don't get calls. I attribute it to this information sheet.

Just my two cents...

Thanks Jann.  I do have a sheet of paper on the dresser with basic information.  Your suggestion to put it right on the bed is good, though!

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Betsy27 I get really dumb questions at odd times from guest, period.

A few weeks ago, a guest texted me at 2:30am asking how the pool lights turn on. 

Girl Bye!

The very next day I raised my rates. 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

That's so funny!  But not really...I had a guest text me at midnight insisting I changed the locks!  This is after he had been staying there for 3 days.  🙂

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Betsy, I hear you. I get mostly 30-60 year old (99.99%), and when I get the 'kids' or the 'old folks' inquiring, I put it on non-selling mode instantly. I have no clue what that 'generation' those are, but they are cool and LOW-maintenance.

How do you do that?  I’d love to be able to decline the same group, without ‘declining’.  I’m 61 but I travel constantly. I’ve  been a super host for years and I cringe every time I get a request from older guests, and this comes from someone who feels age discrimination on the daily.  The folks leaving today want to share some “gentle suggestions”.  No one 25-60 EVER does that.
( I realize the irony of me asking you how to put it on ‘non sell’ mode. Hah) 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Betsy27

I was going to admonish you for offering your kitchen and washer at your rate.

But then I read your listing. You clearly do NOT offer the kitchen or laundry. Brava!

You are a SuperHost that understands how business works. Kitchen and Laundry = $$.

You clearly understand these guests are just unthinking. They will leave and you will get better.

I do feel your frustration.

Question: What do you say to people who want to use your kitchen or laundry?

How do you say No without saying No?

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Paul154 How about "I'm sorry, use of the kitchen is not included"

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I hate to generalize because of course the vast majority of guests of any age have been wonderful. But I have noticed two patterns: 50-70 year old guests who have clearly not read the listing and demand things not offered, and relatively weathly couples in their 20s who leave the place a mess. 

So have I, in my experience till about 55, then past that they go downhill in a hurry.

Mike444
Level 2
Chicago, IL

About half of my older guests (45+) tend to nitpick/complain and seem like they're expecting a hotel. I have a budget listing with hipster decor that's stated to have rough edges. Everytime I get an older guest who complains their whole stay, I just think "Why the heck don't you just book a hotel?" I still accept any guest who books regardless of age, but those who complain constantly about the fact that a budget listing isn't a hotel get a bad review from me.

Danielle513
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I'm having a similar experience with a very sweet but "older" couple, estimating them to be in their mid-70's.  They've sent me long lists (via text) about what's not working, i.e., the front door deadbolt is sticky, the mini fridge door closes just fine but I could re-install and make it perfect, no stove (clearly in my listing), antique armoire skeleton key does not work (it's a 200 year old armoire, it's decorative), no nightlights, etc. etc.   I live in Southern California, a desert climate, and when it rains the wood expands and retracts according to the humidity level.  It's a constant and everything goes back to normal after the rainy season.  They pointed out suggestions for re-arranging everything from my bed placement to the wattage of my light bulbs (brighter please for older eyes)  to installing railings in my shower and on the side of my toilet for balance.  They also wanted to deliver this list of improvements on a Sunday morning at 8 a.m. (my only day to sleep in). I sent them a $50 refund as a token gesture but they refused (which is fine) but now I can't tell if my gesture was offensive.  Overall, I just think they would have been happier in a hotel.  

I do not want to discriminate against older couples, but in the future I will be sure to reach out via message and let them know my guest cottage does not have certain amenities and give them the opportunity cancel within their 48 hour window.

Grace248
Level 2
Scotland, GB

Absolutely with you on this. What a bunch........ I seriously am flabbergasted that a certain age group of guest can demand this and that. All the while forgetting the absolute bargain they are getting by using Air BNB.   Would secretly love to tell some of my visitors........ try and find a Hotel for eg 4 people, free parking, free laundry, tv, WiFi, all the facilities self catering offer... with coffee, tea, milk, butter, biscuits, drinks, bread, sugar, oil, kitchen towels, toilet paper, shampoo, etc etc etc etc etc.    THEY ARE GETTING A BARGAIN NO DOUBTS ABOUT THAT!  I now include in the kitchen area a list of all the complimentary items available for guests.      It may help.