Possible fake guest scam

Simon364
Level 4
Colchester, United Kingdom

Possible fake guest scam

Hi All

I wonder if anyone could help please?

I have done a search for this particular issue - but couldn't find it. I got a message (two in fact) this morning:

<<

"I was about to book your place for 10 days but my wife notice the same property ( same images and description ) published by other Host and a different price , check bellow :
http://airbnb.com/external_link?url=http://www.abnb-rooms-29485274.com
Please check the link after external_link url= because airbnb hide it.

Let me know ASAP so I can set up the request !

>>

Its from  someone called Adam with no profile pic. The link that they want me click above is abnb-rooms etc  .  I thought it might be a short-link so I clicked it but it didnt look right. Also I noticed the currency was Indonesian. So I  didnt login.

Couple of questions

Has anyone else had this situation?

I will definitely decline but I dont want it to add to my "number of declines" - what should I do?

All the best, Sim

14 Replies 14
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Dodgy.

Reply:

"Thanks for the notification; Please book using AirBnb.com. You'll find the link at the top of this message thread."

I don't like the look of that link and wouldn't follow it. It is a generic - no property - URL. The .com comes after what would be the accomodation identifier. That identifier should be after the .com.

In simple speak it would be like clicking on Airbnb123.com (123 ? )

I'd inform Customer Services too.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Simon364 

Definitely a fake site Simon, I have a high level of security and when I click on either of those links this is what comes up........

dangerous site.png

Don't have anything to do with this user.

At the bottom of their profile page you will see an item which says....'Report this profile' click on that and report this user and when requested for a reason explain that the user directed you to a fake site and Airbnb will handle it from their!

Do not open any site that does not start with the green secure padlock in the address line!

Cheers......Rob 

Simon364
Level 4
Colchester, United Kingdom

Thanks - I did "report and decline" . A message had already been added from airbnb that it was suspicious. It didnt ask me for a reason though

thanks for your help. Will this add to my "number of declines" when considered in ratings?

@Simon364 

Will this add to my "number of declines" when considered in ratings?

Yes. That was why I said for you to ask them to book through the link at the top of the message. They obviously didn't want to book, but at least that way you didn't decline them.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Simon364 

If you have reported this listing and Airbnb have agreed with you this will not be recorded as a decline and count against you.

There are many internet sites and predators out there trying to get a slice of the Airbnb action.

Simon, this is a communicae from a genuine Airbnb site....

Genuine listing.png

You will note that the address line begins with a small padlock with the letters Airbnb. inc.  This is a secure site and you can have confidence that any information contained is subject to Airbnb's protocol! 

If the listing is a fake listing and you have weak security, the address line will look like this.....

Fake 3.png

The padlock has been replaced by a circle with an exclamation mark in it. Do not correspond with a site that starts with an address line like this! No matter how genuine it may look, it is a fake site!

This screenshot may be of help if you are in doubt as to the legitimacy of an internet email address which could lead you to a non genuine web site....

Fake email addresses.png

Before proceeding always check the address in the internet address line!

Cheers......Rob

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

The security lock does not guaratee that you are connecting to who you think you might be connecting to.... a security certificate (padlock) for *the site you are connecting to* are easily obtained. 

The link Robin shown being "airbnb.rental-long-term.com" is a zone on "rental-long-term.com" and could have any accomodation type zone instead of "airbnb" added before it to fool the viewer of the site into thinking its relevant whilst still being secure. It would be important to read the whole address in detail if you are deciding to commence with any correspondence or viewing the site so the padlock is not a guarantee of authenticity.

Julia1261
Level 1
Bay Islands Department, Honduras

I got the same message and made the mistake of clicking on the link. It took me to a page that looked like a google page. What should I do now that I clicked on it??  Did I give then access to my computer??

Thanks,

Mark

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You may well have done. I would go in and change your password on Airbnb and your log in for your computer and run any anti-spam software you have on your computer. @Julia1261 

If you are using Linux-not.

If you are a using Windows for your daily work...have all those patches, service packs, antivirus and antitrojan software installed, always updated and behind the best firewall in the world...probably YES 🙂

Karina347
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

I have just had this exact same email from' someone ' named Maria, I didn't click on the link and preapproved her booking so I don't get penalised although as clearly some kind of scam I am not expecting her to book. 

Wino0
Level 2
Quito, Ecuador

It just happened to me too... With a guest Name Biel. 

Geri26
Level 10
Adelaide, Australia

Me too on Tuesday from "Jessica" in USA. Didn't click on link but did report. Seems to be a new round is being distributed if this conversation originally opened in March last year...

Natalie218
Level 2
Auckland, NZ

A similar scam is now operating in NZ. I got a similar booking request today from someone called Alison. Wanted to checkin today for 4 nights, no verified ID and had only joined up an hour earlier.

Thankfully I didn't click on the link but I sent a message to Air Bnb asking what to do and didn't hear back so I did decline them. Will this effect my ranking/Superhost status?

Maria3657
Level 2
England, GB

Don’t click the link and report it. Then reach out to AirBNB support, They may be able to remove it from your declines or reject on your behalf. I’ve not had this specific message but had a rogue query a while ago and they were helpful