Problem with Airbnb and guess damage claimed

Lynn1243
Level 2
Clearwater, FL

Problem with Airbnb and guess damage claimed

So I have rent my home to a lady name ** who came from KY with her family and kids,total of 10 people.

5 days before her arrival I stayed there a month to cleaned my home,and remodeled everything,replaced a new toilet in one of the bath room,all of my furniture is brand new.I have cleaning company that come before and after each stay to keep the home super clean and nice for my guess.

The first day she stayed there,nothing going on.The second days she called me in the morning and told me her toilet wasn’t working.I sent immediately a plumber came over and fixed the toilet,and check everything make sure it’s work.Then at the same night she called me and acting like my home is destroyed her vacation,the water back up and water every where.She make me feel horrible and I put myself into her situation and feel so bad for her.I called and offer her I will paid for her to go somewhere else right the way to make her happy,and to treat her right,and she acting like she didn’t  want to cost me doing that,she would wait to have my plumber came in the first thing in the morning to fixed and she should be fine.I though she was so nice and great person so I sent her $200 and offer her to stay there that 2 nights for free because that were my home problem.I took such as a wonderful care with all my guests.

And then the day she left,my pool’s cleaner came over and found out that she left my pool cleaner on the ground and let it run without water and it’s burned my brand new pool cleaner.Then my cleaning company send me pictures of 5 sheets that has gum all over ,1 sheet had her kids pee at the whole sheet,1 tears of badly.My plumber found out the toilet clogged because of her kids chemical stuff that they brought and flushed down to the pipe that caused the plumbing problems.He said that when he came over that day her kids would flip and the sheets up,jump there bare foot with bunches mug and sand over all the beds,trash were all over the home,it were horrible when he arrived.But he didn’t let me know until the day she left since he work 3 jobs.

So I contacted her and told her the problem I found,she became very disrespectful to me,denied everything she did.So I contact Airbnb,they said that I were fail to contact them since I have guess came over the same day.But I have receipts,pictures.....that proved when it’s happened.It take way longer to contact them.So how do you contact them on time if you only have 3 hours to report because I have guess back on back?

For guess alway try to dishonest and want to get more money and even want there stay for free Airbnb do not do anything to protect there host

and if your guest give you a bad review with dishonest after so many times then you will remove from the list of Airbnb.Is that fair for the host?

Guest have there right to damage host

host can not do anything to protect them

even hurt them more and cost them more

then receive nothing 

I don’t think this is right 

Now if ** denied to pay me,then it cost me good $1000 after all the damaged 

Airbnb can’t do anything to her

and do not do anything for me either 

very disappointed!

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

17 Replies 17
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lynn1243 

Sorry to read about the  misbehaviour of (the kids from) your guest

.The procedures to claim damage are very clear and yes, it must be done before the next guest arrives.

At least write an honest review for the guest.

BTW Your most recent review is not a jewel, hope the next one will be better (and without caps-locked)....

Best regards,

Emiel

@Emiel1  Thank you so much for your opinion!!!!!!

@Lynn1243  Two things I would suggest doing differently in the future:

1) Avoid same-day changeovers, if any circumstance might prevent you from properly inspecting the home for damage before the next guest arrives. You can use your Calendar settings to automatically add preparation time and block bookings beginning on dates with a checkout.

2) Never transmit discounts or compensation to guests before the stay is complete. If the guest is unhappy with the condition of the property, you're usually better off asking them to leave and refunding the unused portion of the stay. Throwing money at people while their stay is still in progress does not have the effect of making them happy; rather it emboldens them to make further demands and persuades them that they're entitled to take whatever they please from you. In the end, you're left with damage from their disrespect of the home, more demands for additional refunds, and a bad review as the icing on the cake. And as far as Airbnb is concerned, the fact that you extended partial refunds or free nights only validates that your property was unacceptable, leaving the door open for more extractions from your payout. Not a clever strategy, all in all. 

@Anonymous  because this is my first time renting my house with Airbnb,I have no idea what to do and I just so lost didn’t know what to do.I’m appreciate very much for all of your options,I will learn from you this time .Thank you a lot!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Lynn1243  I'm sorry you had this distressing problem, but as @Emiel1 and @Anonymous said, you won't get anywhere with a claim if you don't contact the guest before the next guest checks in.

You really can't turn over a house that accommodates 8 people in 4 hours or less (11 am checkout, 3 pm check-in).

Also a note:  better pictures would help - all yours seem to be taken at night.  This is a house in Florida, the pictures should show the sun streaming in.

And since English isn't your first language, you should consider using Grammarly to fix things up when you write.

@Ann72  I totally agree with you about my pictures,I just didn’t have enough time to retake them

I will try my best since English is not my first language but it’s really hard.

Thank you for your help !!!!

@Lynn1243  The app called Grammarly can help!  You could copy and paste your house description into it and see what comes back.  

I also think that in your profile description you should not say you're not there?

Good luck!  Clearwater is beautiful and you have a great property!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Lynn1243 Allowing 10 people, in 8 beds, in 4 rooms for a total of $115 a night is a recipe for disaster. The dregs of society and party animals love these places, especially when offered by a starting host. That simple. 

While at it, do try to read this board, it will prove invaluable.

Good luck.

@Fred13 can you tell me how to how many guest can I have?What price is fair?I don’t have any info from Airbnb?Thank you!

Depends on local market, of course. But one thing is certain: a too many people / too low a price combination usually brings you trouble. Remember, this was a wedding/family?, but the next one could be a 'party' which will start at 10 but easily mushroom to 2x-3x that many.

Perhaps approaching it backwards would be helpful. Ok, I would like to make $100 per night, charge $115 - $15 in cost = goal of $100. Would 4 people pay $25 each? Or maybe 6? The lower the number, the less the risk of a lot of things going wrong.

Keep in mind, if something does goes wrong, like a group totally trashing your place, count on being on your own and getting little sympathy or financial help from Airbnb.

@Lynn1243  Airbnb allows you to have up to 16 guests, as long as everyone is accounted for in your listed sleeping arrangements. But just because you can fit 10 people into your home doesn't mean that you should. While you're still learning your way through this, I suggest reducing your maximum group size to what is optimal for the property. A glimpse at your living and dining areas suggests that they would comfortably fit up to six people, so this might be a better target for you while you're learning the ropes. Since the property contains features that would be dangerous for unattended children, you can also state in your rules that it isn't childproofed or suitable for kids.

Also, don't use Airbnb's "Smart Pricing" algorithm to control your prices. They only use that to undercut their competitors, not to help you maximize your income. Instead, compare your listing with successful listings of similar size and amenities in the area, and take their fee/discount structures into consideration. Host who prefer longer stays will encourage them by setting weekly discounts but adding a higher cleaning fee. Those who prefer shorter stays will do just the opposite. Whatever you do, be sure you don't accidentally make yourself a landlord by accepting a booking over 30 days.

This information is very helpful,thank you so much @Anonymous 

Aye @Lynn1243 . Believe that everything you need to know, is here, if not already posted, in our heads. 🙂

First - do NOT refund or compensate a guest without proof. Even if you have to have someone close to the property go over to inspect (we once had to call a plumber and take out a ceiling after my own kid and her friend put playdough in the sink and it created a clog that couldn't be fixed without taking out the pipe.

10 people and a lot of kids is an issue.

You have evidence of communication and receipts from before the new guest checked in. Demand Airbnb escalate your claim and if they don't ask for arbitration. I'm told the latter (a lawsuit alternative) gets their attention.

Propublica ran an article that Airbnb is outsourcing its Customer Service to people who work for a third party. If that's true, they're working from home and reading from a script. Push this issue. Then reconsider who you will rent to. Most people I've hosted with kids are considerate. But I had one who let their children draw on my cabinets with crayons. Some people are fabulous. Others were raise on a pig farm and the pigs are neater.

Airbnb has a host guarantee. They need to compensate you.

But never - ever - offer the concessions you were offering unless you know if the problems are maintenance, or user caused. if the user caused it, kick them out and bill them for the damage.

I filed a damage claim recently - all the communication with the guest is on the platform. Guest refused to pay for something they already admitted to being responsible for. I uploaded receipts and waiting to see if I get more than generic responses.