Problems with Host Guarantee

Mark1416
Level 2
Boulder, CO

Problems with Host Guarantee

Hi there, 

I have been an Airbnb host for years. Recently, I had a guest damage my kitchen counter. AirBNB only paid 40% of the cost to repair the damage. The process was very troubling. For starters, you cannot talk with anyone real.  You can only communicate with support through email.

The decision that was made, was made arbitrarily and in violation of the company’s terms of service.  But there is no method to appeal the determination. Your only option is to pursue AAA arbitration, which obviously is not cost-effective when you are dealing with around $1000 in damages.

Has anyone else encountered problems like this? I am leaving AirBNB because I am concerned that, should more serious damages occur, I do not trust the process.  The host guarantee is an illusion.  It is not like a security deposit, and you have very little control over AirBNB’s actions. Throughout the process, they made clear that they do not care about hosts.

I am just wondering if others have experienced this or if I’m just unlucky and got a bad shake?  Also, how do other people get comfortable with AirBNB given the limited recourse available if your property is damaged.  Any ideas? Or is it just best to stop renting through Airbnb?  I’m sad to go, because I like the interface. However, the risk seems too great.

2 Replies 2

After 6.5 years of hosting, we just had our first truly bad experience w/ guests and w/ airbnb.  They ponied up for 74% of the costs of repair and will not answer my questions about how they came up w/ that figure.  I had before-and-after pictures and receipts for everything.  I'm so disgusted.

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

Hey @Mark1416 ,

in my years hosting using Airbnb I have found my dealings with them in problem situations to be pretty hit and miss. It does seem largely to depend on who answers the phone when you call for help. 

I made a claim of $16 for a glass light fitting that a guest freely admitted to breaking and agreed to pay for. Airbnb came back to me advising they had "depreciated" the light fitting and therefore determined I should now only be paid $14. My accountant advised it is not possible to depreciate an item that no longer exists, and that they are not legally allowed to depreciate something that is not theirs. (it was my light fitting because I owned it and no longer exists because it broke into little pieces)

This sounds like a petty grievance but it made me wonder what would happen if the claim was for many hundreds or thousands of dollars.

With time you will accept the Airbnb mantra: 'You are free to do as we tell you!!'