Project "Dining Room Rehab" keeping John busy

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Project "Dining Room Rehab" keeping John busy

I wrote about a project  "Dining Room/ Guest Suite Entrance" that I had hoped to get done this year in the "Spruce Up" thread before the virus effect both cut my booking to nearly nothing and also is keeping me home because I work in a university that has gone online for the time being.  So I had allot of time on my hands and decided to move the project from the "hope" column to the "in  Progress" column, I added some pics to the online posting and  @Stephanie   mentioned it might make a good thread so here goes.  

This space is unique in the fact it acts more as a guest entrance for and connection to the private bathroom for Guest Space # 2 (our easy access suite) than a dining room and it hasn't had more than a touch up in 40 years and most of that work was poorly done.  It needs insulation on a couple outside walls, new electric in a few areas, the horsehair plaster and lath is breaking out in too many places and crumbling, the floor needs patching and refinishing and all around, its what I refer to as a 3/4 gut.  There are a couple wall sec

tions and the ceiling that are savable but everything else has to go.  

This project is a bit different feel than most, there is no urgency, Ive shut it down for a month although were still listing the 3 bedroom suite upstairs.  I suspect I will be "working from home" for a few more weeks so I don't have to do the madman rush like I do when I usually only have a week to do what I will have a month to do this time.  I can stop when I get tired or have eaten enough plaster or itchy from the Fiberglass and enjoy Bull Bat Hour with my favorite adult beverage (also my planning time).  I will put some pics from the beginning and add as I go, so far I've not hit any obstacles I hadn't anticipated but you never know about today until you reach tomorrow!  Stay well and keep busy if you can, John

Main EntranceMain EntranceBedroom EntranceBedroom EntranceDraped off Entrance to kitchenDraped off Entrance to kitchenBathroom EntranceBathroom EntranceBathroom EntranceBathroom Entrance

43 Replies 43

@Huma0 , Ive had the same surprises with sheets and blankets, it they had told me I would have been able to save them but only if cleaned quickly, that never makes me happy!  I do agree that there is certainly risk in having it in a guest accessible area but this space serves primarily as an entrance, and secondarily as a connection to the private bathroom  for the downstairs guests and not really a guest area.  Also we couldn't destroy it as kids and we didn't treat it so nicely.  Thats the beauty of Persian/ Oriental hand knotted  rugs (we have many), the bright coloring and super durable yarns  hide and clean pretty well so I suspect it will survive a couple more generations.  Have an awesome day.  JR 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, it's great seeing this @Melodie-And-John0! Things are starting to look fantastic! :-). 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Thanks @Quincy , Its been one of my more fun projects due to not having a crazy tight deadline on getting it done.  Right now were waiting for the Poly on the floor to harden so that the carpet can go back down.  Its about 4 more days before I can put the space back together again, It stinks pretty bad also!  Stay Well, JR

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

@Melodie-And-John0  Your place looks great. For me, it looks like a classic home interior from the 50's or 60's, well maintained furniture, carpets...

Thanks @Dimitar27, thats kinda the look we were going for.  Goes well with a 200 year old home for sure.  Stay well, JR 

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

It looks stunning. Love the blue. Great job @Melodie-And-John0 

Thank you @Mike-And-Helen0 , the blue works well with the carpet for sure!  Stay well, JR

@Melodie-And-John0 

Thanks for the personal house tour yesterday :-))) I love the blue walls..... it's a shade I am especially partial to. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 ,  An-nyeong-haseyo  My Pleasure Jessica, it was great to put a face and voice to the name.  I think the color is very rich yet not overly bright, now we have to find curtains that will work with it, unfortunately our 200 year old windows are not a common size.    An-nyeonghi-gyeseyo, JR

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Melodie-And-John0 

Love the blue walls. As you can see from one of my guest bedrooms, it's a personal favourite of mine too!

1st floor-1.jpg

I'm ashamed to say that I got very little done on my long, ambitious list of home improvements during my guest-free period these past few months. On the upside, I have spent so much time in the garden. We had such an unusually beautiful Spring and there is always a threat that our already short Summer may end early, so I decided to prioritise work in the garden instead.

Glad to see you cracked on with it though!

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

Please share pictures of your garden.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

I haven't taken any recently, but will do and post some. It still looks a mess to me, but there are a lot more flowers than before!

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0 

😮 That's such a beautiful room!

I'm with @Debra300, it would be great to see more pictures 🌸

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Melodie-And-John0  I have to say, you have great taste in rugs 😉  Here's mine - and the dog pee stain hardly shows!20200730_112754.jpg