Questions about reporting a guest....

Anna1063
Level 2
Shakopee, MN

Questions about reporting a guest....

First off, I have been hosting and traveling with AirBnB for 4 years now.  I feel like I have been really lucky and had some truely great experiences.  Then of course comes that one guest.  She booked the space for one night for herself.  At the last minute she messaged me and said she was bringing a friend.  The space is set up for two so that wasn't a problem (I just like to know who is coming before they arrive since this is my home).  When they arrived, I asked them to remove their shoes in the house (it is posted under the house rules).  I had to ask them several times during their very short stay to not walk in the house with shoes on.  They ordered in food and left spilled food on the kitchen and dining floor.  They left our patio door unlocked and ajar during the night.  They left the windows open in their room with the central air running (over 90 degrees outside).  Finally, when I went to change the room over in the morning, I found that they had spilled something liquid on the carpet in the bedroom.  

They were ok people in general but just so disrespectful of someone else's property.  I don't feel anything they did was malicious just thoughtless.  They live within a short distance of my home.  I am concered about leaving a negative review.  What happens when you report someone? Is it private? Is there a way to block this person from booking my property again?  I would love to be able to post my concerns to other hosts but I worry about retaliation.  At the least, I want to block her booking in the future.  Any advice is apprecitated!

17 Replies 17
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Anna1063

Anna, there are all sorts of ways of getting your point across without offending the guest, and (if possible) this is the best path to take!

Pehaps you could say something along the lines of "I Looked forward to hosting xxxxxx and they turned out to be lovely pleasant people. I do feel though that maybe inexperience in this situation left them unsure of what responsibilities are expected of a guest! With time they will get a better understanding of the way Airbnb operates, pay a bit more attention to their environment, and will in all probability turn out to be very good guests. At this point though I would be hesitant to recommend them, but wish them all the best for the future"!

Anna. you have got your point across, there is nothing in that would warrant removal by protest from the guest and you have remained dignified and accomplished!

See how you go!

Cheers.....Rob

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hello @Rob0

what a cop out!

Perhaps these guests may even leave @Anna0 a 4 star review.

I love the Aussies I really do, call a spade a shovel and all that.......what’s going on?

why condone this behaviour?.....you don’t need experience to know how to behave in someone else’s home.....unless yiu are a toddler learning the big lessons in life.

The guests did x,y,z.....the review should state x,y,z, honest and factual none of this skirting and tip toeing around the issue.

Wheres that mantelpiece?........Is there a space on it for an old dinosaur like yours truly?😉

What some people call a cop-out, some other people may consider it gracious and hopeful of an educated future.