Rating System

Liz140
Level 4
Danville, IN

Rating System

Very unhappy with the ratings system. I consistently get a 4.7 overall and rave written reviews. But I often get a 4.6 for location. I live in a beautiful area, not far from Sedona. Unfortunately, I think people are not rating me based on the beauty of where "I" am located, but rather on how convienent my location is based on their goals. 

My home and location is what it is......... it's beautiful, close to a freeway, but far enough to not hear the noise. (7min)

If this is the case, should I put up a banner that warns people NOT to stay with me if they want to get to place X or Y? 

Shouldn't my rating be based on whether or not my location was nice vs convenient? Also if convenience is the primary factor, how can many of us EVER get around that? I could never be a super host unless I live near a popular location. I do live in a very good, scenic neighborhood and my home is really nice; isn't that enough?  Being a super host should be about how guests are treated and the quality of the experience, not how close it is to, wherever....

21 Replies 21

I'm in Seattle too, like @Farah1, where the 9 miles to downtown can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour.  I do deliveries for a living, and have clocked mileage and drive time for 18+ years, and it has gotten B-A-D here.

We get a lot of 4-star ratings for location.  Can't do a thing about them.  Some folks like the peaceful location within the city, with stores, library, pool and rec center all within 2 miles, a mall 3 miles--some just a few blocks.  Others strictly view it as drive time to downtown and Seattle Center.  We recommend taking the Rapid Ride bus that's just a couple of short blocks away; it will deposit you at various points downtown, a quick hop to Pike Place Market or Seattle Center or the stadiums, but without the hassle of driving, one way streets and no-left-turn intersections, tourists who aren't sure which way to go, total gridlock at certain times of day, and expensive, very limited parking.  It's a mad house.  Most people prefer to drive and put up with the hassles.

Could they find a more convenient place to stay if their goal is downtown activities?  Of course.  They will also spend a lot more for it.

I've done the best I can in the listing to highlight the fact that we have a great location a total Seattle experience, from the Boeing tour, Whidby Island or Kingston ferries, Leavenworth, multiple beaches and parks--there is so much more in the area than just downtown.  Beyond that I'll take the 4 stars and lump it.  As long as cleanliness, accuracy, and other things I CAN control get 5 stars I'm OK.

What bugs me is this... if this location does not work for you, don't book it and then rate it down.  I saw a reply letter from Airbnb to a guest whovoiced this same concern and it said they don't use location to decide how many stars you get. OK Im getting 4.9 in everything except location, so where's my super star rating? Isn't is figured by an average of the points? 

Hi Sorry but I cannot get in contact with airbnb rep although I have tried. Cannot type anything into the message to host as it just returns to description of home. Can you tell me what I can do as I need to book asap for Oregon Coast.

Thank you

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

As I have mentioned I rarely read the reviews, my business tends to be a lot of short stays so any one review has little to no effect overall. I have not looked at individual review ratings, I do look at the overall number and as long as it is in the 4.5 plus bracket all is good.

But I did read one recently, breaking my own policy, I have a historic property and use the historic name in my listing, I include a little bit of the history of the place as well.

The last scheduled train service was in 1937 and I do not provide the services they did back then, nor do I advertise that I do, but it was mentioned that my title was misleading.....

David

@David126   Ha!  The nitpicker brigade. I've had a few of those.

Tyanna0
Level 1
Flagstaff, AZ

I have the same issue, I am not far from you Liz, up near Flagstaff. I am very specific about my rural location and I am constantly being marked down for it, even though my listing leave no question. It's very frustrating.

Liz230
Level 2
Santa Rosa, CA

My very first review was frustrating. I scored 5's on everything except location, but scored 4 overall.  Makes no sense to me.