Recent claim under the Host Guarantee - there you go, fellow hosts, clear guidelines for us

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Recent claim under the Host Guarantee - there you go, fellow hosts, clear guidelines for us

The guest, when it comes to hygiene and cleanness standards - my favourite sort (pure sarcasm of course) supported by deeper cultural observations of a host, clearly kept the top around the sink wet for about a month, which I could discover only on the checkout. 

The case manager, A., clearly is not capable of distinguishing between the sink and the top/counter, suggesting that the top/counter should sustain water flow. I would hate to host the owner of this type of (un)common sense too.

So if the guest leaves dirty walls, we have to:

[quote of the case manager's response]"Regarding cleaning issues please keep in mind and going forward, please consider your cleaning fee to account a middle-ground between reservations that require more or less cleaning after check out."

Following this logic, just in case guests destroy the place, the cleaning fee should cover all the cost (of repainting the place, dear case manager A, huh?

And something I have always supported - deposits from guests, especially if the look into their faces gives you that hunch they are on a mission not to use common sense:

[quote of the case manager's response]"You are free to pursue reimbursement from your guest directly. However, per this requirement, this case is not eligible under the Host Guarantee. That said, we will follow up appropriately with XXX with regard to guest responsibilities."

...which means: Airbnb doesn't care if the guest damages something (I have always read those posts by fellow hosts with fear it might finally happen...)

Lesson learnt. A longer-stay visitor from a different background who might not follow common-sense rules of using things is a red flag. Definitely, I will start claiming deposits, from which reimbursement may then be pursued. Indeed, a good piece of advice, Mr A. We will keep it in mind. Collecting the deposit, I have never had any issues with guests from the other site I use.

It's not even what you call a rant. It's just a regret I disregarded that inner voice inside myself when the first message from the guest was asking about the internet speed rather than providing the host with ETA...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
4 Replies 4
Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

@Marzena4  [quote of the case manager's response]"You are free to pursue reimbursement from your guest directly. However, per this requirement, this case is not eligible under the Host Guarantee. That said, we will follow up appropriately with XXX with regard to guest responsibilities."

With the above in mind, When I have a long term guest ( I know in my own mind what to expect) so I always ask guest for credit card information on check in.

Although ABB states we are not allowed to ask for money it dosnt mention security CC details. and as it is almost impossible to get ABB to pay any additional monies requested , be it for damage from excessive wear and tear, or furniture or soft furnishings, wall painting etc, blocked drains (all the things that happen when common sense and consideration of others property DOES NOT prevail)

I have the repairs done and charge the credit card then I mail the invoice and credit card receipt to the guest. I have only had to do this once and the guest never disputed the payment.

NOTE: I only did this after ABB closed a claim and had done nothing about it.

I have never had a guest refuse to give details and I have always found that if I explain why I want the card details and how ABB actually work when it comes time for disputes for damages etc , My guests have been very understanding and are usually very shocked at the way ABB treats hosts, especially when they (the guests) pay so much additional money as a service fee to ABB.

I also have printed up many host stories about trying to claim for damages and not receiving payments etc and made it into a coffee table book in my house, My guests love the book as it gives them a true view of ABB and how it works OR DOSN'T

Flavia195
Level 10
Grande Prairie, Canada

@Marzena4 Lesson learnt. A longer-stay visitor from a different background who might not follow common-sense rules of using things is a red flag. Definitely, I will start claiming deposits, from which reimbursement may then be pursued.

Had the same issue. Some people has different level of basic education and about cleanliness. I had to remove the kitchen access because some people use the bath and didn't wash the hands before open my fridge or grab some cookies under the dome. Some didn't flush and clean properly the kitchen or toillet... 

I am kind of "sick"  to offer high service, super clean  and host some kind off primitive people.

ABB is the only one who wash for good their own hands when issues shows up.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

And this is why long-term guest should get a 7 day quick tidy-up clean. Not bc you want to give them something but bc 7 days worth of damage is easier (hopefully? usually?) to repair than 30 days worth of damage

and @Lynette57 I don’t think abb is ok with you taking ccard info from your guests. In the wrong hands that info would likely get your listing pulled. IMO

if I were to guess @Marzena4   I think the most refused HG claims are something like this:

1. Extra guests

2. Smoke

3. Pet

4. Scratched floors/walls

5. Soaked wet wood in baths & kitchen

Exactly, @Kelly149, at the same time being the most common - some guests just feel tempted not to care. 

What is more, case managers do not have any idea about works and workmanship. The one from the case I quoted made reference to 'poor workmanship' as the reason. Stupid guy - didn't know I had done the works myself. Anyway, Airbnb's treatment of hosts is ridiculous.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"