Reflections of a busy traveler

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Reflections of a busy traveler

Once in a while a discussion pops up when a traveler with multiple 5 star reviews does not act like one. This summer I have to make lots of short trips to a nearby state. I am really busy at work and with hosting this summer. This is how I found myself behaving:

I WILL:

not do anything before checking the listing. I had to bring someone along. I thoroughly made sure it was allowed, informed the host and proactively offered to pay in case that changed the total. 

Look at clean up instructions before I leave

Not message the host with stupid things until I know for sure it is not in the listing or in a house book

I WILL NOT:

look at arrival instructions until I am at the door

communicate with the host my arrival times

Yes, I know it is wrong but that's what I found myself doing. I was too busy to do anything other than one day at a time plus I knew in general how airbnb worked so I was not anxiously preparing for the trip. I was traveling alone most of the time so I was not responsible for family or a group. If something went wrong, it would not be the end of the world. Of course I would have paid attention to repeated attempts to contact me and most importantly would have always answered my phone.  So many hosts are reluctant to call when there is lack of response. 

I am posting this to give hosts the reflection from the "other side". I know I should do better as a guest but this is the reality and I think this is the reality for many of the guests. 

1 Reply 1
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Inna22 I feel the exact same way. I get really stressed when I try to give a host the best estimate of my arrival time but then traveling gets in the way and it's an endless back and forth. I'm usually rushed during lunch and/or have to arrange all my activities that day around the 15-minute arrival.