Revenge Reviews

Yolanda8
Level 6
Hamilton, CA

Revenge Reviews

-it is very important that AirBnb revisit the "transparancy" of the review process ; Reviews should be "weighted" not equal because the impact is NOT equal 

-a poor Guest review by Host has very little impact as many Hosts do not check "Guest Reviews" when accepting bookings & a Guest can always find another accommodation.....

-the Host's business can be ruined, at the very least "SuperHost" status removed & less bookings due to an untruthful "Revenge Review"

-extortion is becoming a very large problem within the global AirBnb community; which AirBnb seems not to be addressing 

-Guests are offering to "edit the review" in order to gain discounts, waive fees, & not report bad Guest behavior to AirBnb; this should NOT be tolerated !

-Host sets the "House Rules" for sharing an accommodation; when these Rules are blatently broken & Guest provdes a "Revenge Review" AirBnb should NOT Post !

-having said all this; my suggestion to Hosts is; call AirBnb repeatedly when U receive a "Revenge Review" based on falsehoods.....-don't give up ...-when Ur told "the review cannot be removed because it doesn't contravene our policy because the review does not use profanity..." -this is only the first hurdle U must overcome; ask for the issue to be escalated, call again, call daily..... ask for a customer service manager, ask for a different case manager.... provide proof of the broken House Rules.... -stay strong & FIGHT against the extortion until AirBnb relents & becomes FAIR to the Host as well as the good Guests

21 Replies 21
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Thuy

I hope Ive made you laugh 🤭 

Dumkopff guest.....How can these people offer such reasonably low priced accommodation in Berlin?

I was expecting a 5*star Hotel with full amenities such as an iron and an international converter as standard!

Thats it Im done!....the description of this accommodation is inaccurate......3*stars

I was expecting a 24/7 fully functioning society with supermarkets open day and night staffed with hard working local staff, wearing Drindle outfits and the description of this accommodation is is Soooooo wrong.....1*star as I was wanting an authentic Deutsch experience.

And don’t YOU EVEN think about  mentioning the location? What the heck......it’s in not even in Berlin, as it’s kilometers away from the other end of Berlin, so how is the location in Berlin?

I was expecting to see ALL these Berliners wearing lederhosen and eating CurryWurst, in this buzzing capital city, so 1*star for location!...I mean is this accomodation NOT even near a food outlet?How will I survive without food ?

In fact I was expecting to get an invitation to a beer cellar......I mean this listing and it’s location is Sooooooo bad, I must write a review and leave 1*star for location as it’s not even got real German people living nearby and I Sooooooo wanted to interact with genuine Deutsch Volk.

Honestly is this accommodation in Berlin even in Germany?......I must leave 1*star for location as I don’t even think I’m in Europe!

@Victoria567 I" vas kept avake all night by ze Hotel Ortsgruppenuntermeister outside my door singing Wenn die Soldaten und Deutsche Uber Alles!  Unacceptable!  Achtung, ein star fur Sie!"

Thank you for sharing this.  Can I ask what a supporter is?  I get customer service and they only give me preread responsese even escalation.

Martha389
Level 2
Alfredo V. Bonfil, MX

I couldn´t agree more with you.

I have recently read that every time you ask a guest to pay for something they ruined or stained or damaged , be prepared for a Revenge Review from them. This is beyond unfair.

I think "liying" should be included in the reasons to  erase a revenge review and should be included in the policy too. Overall if there's proof of it. 

@Martha389 wrote:

I couldn´t agree more with you.

I have recently read that every time you ask a guest to pay for something they ruined or stained or damaged , be prepared for a Revenge Review from them. This is beyond unfair.

I think "liying" should be included in the reasons to  erase a revenge review and should be included in the policy too. Overall if there's proof of it. 

I am about to find this out. We recently installed RING doorbells for security and monitoring on the house. I have found that at least 30% of the guests who even know these are installed still try and get away with things like sneaking extra guests and having events. I just sent a request for extra payment for extra guests and am waiting for the fall out of a negative review.  I will wait to see if they even post a review since i wrote them a detailed message about seeing arrivals and departures and all beds were used when only 2 guests were reserved (we have video evidence).  I'm almost to the point I don't care about superhost status anymore because I'm tired of being the "nice guy" when people just want to take advantage.  They actually agreed to pay the extra amount and tried to explain themselves in a note. So far no review and I'm not sure I will review them unless they post a review in 14 days.  It's like a game of cat and mouse.  I am fully ready to rebute any negative reviews they post with detailed accounts of the rules they broke in a reply but for now it's a just a wait and see game. Lying should most definitely be a reason to remove a review but again it seems that Airbnb is always on the side of the guest first. 

I've learned my lesson, I now post fees for extra services: extra guests: $150/night, early Check-In: $40, late Check-Out: $40... -I politely request the funds once from my booked Guest, then immediately demand that AirBnb pay-up, which they do..... -crazy way of doing business!   

-why does AirBnb allow Hosts to make the "House Rules" but not enforce them when  broken? 

-even bigger problem; I've "automated" the Check-In process with keyed entry for access, but AirBnb doesn't provided this info clearly to the Guest so I learned to post AirBnb's 800# in my title so that the guests who can't find the info can call AirBnb for the info instead of disturbing me 24/7.......

Tom2387
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Yolanda, you're absolutely right and I suspect it is becoming more common place.  When I have heard about such behaviour and sadly, this year, been subject to this kind of threat, it appears to me there are patterns in their tactics.  It appears it is not the first time they have tried to pull that stunt.  I suspect they try it every time.  We must be careful. They are con artists.  I'm wondering if we need to introduce an airbnb guest blacklist that can be consulted before confirming requests.   I certainly try to vet guests much more than I did in the past.  There are some guests that will do what they can to take advantage of our goodwill.