Rubbish resolution centre for UK host - victim of theft, fraud and damages by guest

Isabella321
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Rubbish resolution centre for UK host - victim of theft, fraud and damages by guest

I came home to a damaged and filthy home with rubbish everywhere. They found an unused credit card in my drawers and attempted fraud. Left cocaine on my balcony table and a marijuana grinder. Stains on my cupboards, walls and carpet. Ate food from my cupboard and broke my bathroom door lock. To make matters worse, their account is completely fake and they have since changed their profile photo from a young couple to an old white man but claims to be native in Indonesian, however their Government ID was apparently verified! There has been no recourse, Airbnb even let them post a negative review on my profile after I opened the resolution centre, so after they knew there was a case against them.

However, after 10s of emails back and forth with Airbnb I've been passed on to two members of staff and have been repeating myself and sending the photos and invoices for the damages again and again. The emails to Airbnb are now bouncing and 'not received'. I have had zero compensation whatsoever under the so-called Host Guarantee even though I have a police report for all the above.

A quick scan online shows Airbnb aren't the best at customer service. But what compensation can an overly trusting host get back?

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Cute apartment!, @Isabella321   I didn't see any seriously negative reviews but did notice 2 of the 10 reviews mentioned cleanliness issues but were otherwise positive.  Are you a remote host?  Is it possible for the guests to be met at check in?  What type of vetting do you do for guests?  Do you usually have 4 guests staying?  It seems a bit crowded for 4 people and could be targeted for bargain hunters.

While your experience with Air BNB response to your claim is shared by other hosts, it might be a better business strategy to plan against these types of possibilities rather than rely on making a claim.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Isabella321 

your place is very nice and I am sorry it was damaged. I see you blocked all the dates in the future, is it because of the damage or your disappointment in guests and Airbnb?

If you intend to continue hosting I would advise you to:

1. meet your guests at arrival
  2. ask them to show you their IDs ( take a photo of it or write down their personal information). You have to state this in your house rules.
  3. set a higher security deposit.

All of the above will turn away such guests.

Regarding your damage claim, be persistent, follow damage claim procedure, contact Airbnb through Twitter as well ....  and good luck.