Search results...being on 5th page is no good

Rez1
Level 1
Leeds, United Kingdom

Search results...being on 5th page is no good

Hello everybody, 

This is my first post on community and my first question is about my listing appearing on the 5th page. Basically, I started hosting 2 months ago. First month was good...my listing appears on first or second page; now it appears on the 5th page. this has reflected on the number of views I get and on the bookings (october was not that busy). I did my research on how to get your listing on the first few pages and I even contacted Airbnb themselves, but I cant find a definite answer. All I get are generic guidlines. What frsutrates me the most is that there is one particular listing in my city which appears on the first raw of the first page. it is not new, the guy is not super host, and nothing special about his listing. I am not being a hater of the guy but how can that happen? why his listing ALWAYS appears on the first page.

Any tips please? 

3 Replies 3
Karim25
Level 10
Paris, France

Hello Rez,
The answer is not simple. May be the other listing appears for its low price, pic quality, comments, number of clicks and so...
Karim

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Rez1

Its a quiet time of the year & you are outside the city center.

To many hosts and not enough guests. its always quieter October to March, as to the guy who's always at No1 have you clicked on his listing a couple of times and your cookies think you like this one. Try logging out and using something like www.duckduckgo.com to search without being tracked.

Your description has 2 items that are negative's to a guest and might put people off, I would remove them.

1. if we communicate a certain check in time, then please try to commit that time and if you decide to check in earlier, please dont complain that the place is not perfectly ready. It takes some good time to get the place ready after every guest, so please commit to your timing so I can provide you with the service you expect.

2. If you cant find a certain place around the flat (restaurant, shop, takeaway, transport) due to your unfamiliarity with Leeds, please ask me first before you build a negative impression and give the location a bad review.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Rez1 @Jeff158 @Karim25 I go through this same exact angst almost daily. In my area there are two listings that are consistently on the first page and I can’t figure out why. One is a cheaply priced unit and I’m not even sure if it’s a whole house or an apartment. It is ALWAYS number one and That listing is $43 a night. The other mind blowing listing is a tent staked out in someone’s backyard. This tent listing is ALWAYS on the first page and it goes for $115 a night. At this point, I just laugh. The type of guest that is looking to stay in a tent in a backyard is not my target guest. The guest that wants an economic unit for $43 a night is not my targeted guest. All I can do is make sure my listing is presented as the obvious choice. My pictures are decent, the text copy flows and my reviews validate the listing. I did notice I was consistently listed in the top five listings for my area and then I sold some dates on Trip and my ranking fell to like number 10. Maybe I’m just being paranoid but probably not.