Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Should Have Gone With My Gut...

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

Should Have Gone With My Gut...

Well, I should have gone with my gut instinct, but I didn't. Now I'm stuck dealing with the type of guests we all hate.

Last night I had a guest check in for a four night stay. They immediately started complaining about the smell of "cigarette" smoke in the house, about the fact that the kitchen cabinets are so old, that people can see in through the bedroom blinds.

I explained to them that no one has smoked inside this house since my grandpa quite smoking in 1986 (her reply: "well it's obvious that a few costs of paint wasn't enough to cover it up), but that Calgary has been getting a lot of smoke from the BC forest fires, and it's possible that furnace filters picked up some of that smoke (neither myself, nor other guests have ever smelled smoke, but I offered to change the furnace filters anyway). I explained that it's an old but well maintained house, and that old cabinets are to be expected (they're perfectly visible in the photos). I showed them how to turn the venetian blinds the other way so that you can't see in (even the way they had them, you'd be very hard pressed to see inside, even with your face pressed against the glass). 

Anyway, this afternoon they cancelled their reservation, requesting a full refund (including for the night they stayed), claiming that the suite was absolutely filthy, and covered in dust (I thoroughly clean after each guest, including dusting all surfaces, and vacuuming all carpets). I went through and took a bunch of timestamped photos (before cleaning up from their stay) to show that the suite is spotlessly clean. But I'm not too sure where to go from here. 

As per my cancellation policy, and because they didn't cancel their reservation until after my 12pm check-out time, they've automatically been charged for the first two nights, and refunded for half of the remaining two nights. I'm not inclined to give them a refund for the night they stayed, but I don't think it's fair to charge them for 3 of the 4 nights they booked. What would be an appropriate refund, in light of their unsubstantiated claims of the place being filthy? Or should I just let the resolution center deal with it?

More importantly, I've qualified for super host status (82% 5 star reviews) for this entire review period. My last two guests left me 4 star reviews, dropping me 80%. This would be my first time achieving super host status, so it's very disappointing that a bad review from this guest, which seems likely, could snatch that from me with a mere week left in the review period. Can anyone see a way to avoid a bad review at this point?

Thanks!

Steve

Steve
9 Replies 9
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Steve2743 based on what I know, neither host/guest can leave a review if the reservation is canceled. Regarding the refund, if I were you, I would stick to my cancellation policy.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

I agree with @Farah1 but if @Steve2743 got too much money, please send me some - here are my bank details : French Bank in France details ....................................

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

Thanks @Farah1

That's good to know about the reviews after cancelation. 

I've recently received a booking that compensates for two of the three lost nights, so I might offer a refund for those nights. But I'll sleep on it. I don't think it's fair to charge for nights they didn't use, especially when another booking made up for some of it, but I also don't like rewarding bad behaviour. 

Steve
Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

Side note: I looked further into the review policy, and it appears that both the guest and host can leave a review if the booking is cancelled on or after the check-in day. 

Steve

@Steve2743 ah good to know, thanks for the update!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Steve2743

Yes, they can leave a review and you need to prepare yourself for a negative one.  And you need to prepare yourself for a very well written response to that negative review.

A refund will not prevent a bad review, so I would suggest you stick to your cancellation policy, contact airbnb and write to the guests on the airbnb platform regarding the issues they had and your contradictions to deem them unfounded.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

I completely agree with @Marit-Anne0 

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Marit-Anne0@Steve2743

I agree that a poor review is quite likely. However, I'm not sure I agree that confronting the guest before they post a review is such a good idea.

Does anybody have an example of doing this and then not receiving a negative review?

Seems to me that if you effectively tell them again they are wrong, it may just make them more likely to put their point of view in a review.

If I was going to contact them, I'd try something more placatory, like 'I'm really sorry you had such a bad time. I'm going to take on board your comments and suggestions because I want all my guests to enjoy their stay here. I feel terrible you had to leave early, I hope the rest of your trip went okay.'

They may even take pity and say nothing!

Marc--Les-and-Toni0
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

Did you ask them specifically and kindly to please detail the problems saw the suite? (besides the smoke smell from the fires that obviously you can't do anything about). As a concerned host, you are always striving to do your best with your accommodation, and you want to know what it is that they found lacking.

When I got a less than perfect cleanliness score for one of my listings, the complaint was dust. I was indignant because all my normal hard surfaces were dusted just minutes before their arrival, but when I did a more thorough examination after they left, there WAS dust on the tops of my curtains and my artificial plants leaves and picture frames. Not a year's worth, but enough that if someone was looking, they would see it.

Once someone is critical, small things become glaring. Stains on linens will make them appear to be dirty when they are clean. I always tell my clean-up crew that people have no problems living in their own mess, but will not tolerate someone else's dirt. Hair is a particular issue. If the bathroom, for instance has a stray hair, or a pillow case (I've had to pick hair off of linens that came fresh out of the dryer) people become entirely grossed out by that. Dirt accummulates in corners and on top of baseboards. The mirrors get splash marks in the bathroom. It's hard to remember all the places that need to be checked, so I've made myself an EXTENSIVE check list for each room. It's definitely made it easier to ensure everything is up to snuff.

Although I was angry with my guests for discounting my stars, I did learn from the experience and I try to look with a guest's eye at my spaces. I've not lost any stars for cleanliness since then.