Should I leave a negative review?

Ellen44
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Should I leave a negative review?

Hi all,

I have been a super host for the past 1 year and have just recently encountered a problem after a guest left.

I know the subject of negative reviews has come up before but still I can't decide what to do.

Here is my problem:

The guests stayed for 2 weeks and after one week I offered to clean the room, ensuite bathroom and change the bedding.

They said eveything was ok and not to bother. 

At the end of the 2 weeks (they left on a Saturday morning at the same time as I was leaving for a weekend break) I was not able to "check" the room fully until I returned after the weekend.

On returning I found 3 stained pillow cases and 2 stained pillows. 

I found permanent hair colourant in the bin  and tried to wash the stains out of the pillows/cases but without success.

What the guests actually did was strip the bed and replace 2 of the pillow cases hoping I would not notice the problem. In fact when I offered to strip the bed and give clean bedding I now realise that the pillow cases were a different colour so they had already changed them without telling me about the problem after the first week. Also the colour of the pillow cases is different to the original ones and doesn't match the bed sheet.

So I now need to replace 2 pillows and a pillow case. Still mistified as to why they did not mention this to me as the communication was great throught their stay. They wrote a review for me the next day and I need to write mine asap.

Should I let it go, because it is not important enough or should I write a negative review?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

6 Replies 6
Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

I would just write a regular review and add that the next time they want to dye their hair, they should do it at a salon or their own bedroom.  Not mean, but warns future hosts.

wait till the last day...two weeks after checkout to leave the review.

This is part of regular young stupidity and I am sure they were embarrased to tell you.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Ellen44  I can understand your question.  Was the behavior so negative as to warrant a thumbs down review or not.  It appears that these guests knew they had made a mistake and tried to cover it up.  You didn't report any other damage so I assume the hair dying was the only problem.  I think you can do a thumbs up review that includes a factual statement about the misuse of your space resulting in damage to linens and bedding.  I would also send a private message to the guest advising you found the damage and suggest that this type of problem should have been reported to you.

Ellen44
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the reply.

The guests were tidy in the kitchen- clearing up after cooking etc.but the bedroom where they slept was a complete mess

and bathroom really dirty but who am I to judge how people live!! Also looked like no rubbish had been taken out over the 2 weeks as the bins were overflowing and extra boxes full of rubbish.

They were moving to their new accomodation at the end of the stay and did mention that they would be employing a cleaner every 2 weeks!!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I would give a neutral review - it is not a big deal really.  Perhaps you can save the pillows using protective covers ?  Using protective covers is an idea in any case to make your pillows last longer and to prevent future accidents.

Ask your guest politely what happened in a private message - perhaps she is willing to contribute further.

Either the guest is mortified but doesn't realize that had they told you and compensated you the problem would be solved, or they don't give a f***. 

They may have been afraid of your reaction.

Would you host them again, after telling them firmly that they need to let you know of any issues right away?

I would give them the benefit of the doubt and leave a neutral review. Then in the private part say that you were 'disturbed' or 'hurt' that they didn't let you know about the damage.  I would say that you know accidents happen but the sting of the damage would have been mitigated by honest and open communication and an offer to compensate.

I have only left one negative review ever and I worded it as tactfully as I could. The guest replied that they were 'hurt.'  I then felt sorry that I had hurt their feelings, when really they had not meant to cause a HUGE plumbing problem and to make us feel uncomfortable by essentially remaining in bed for 48 hours and taking numerous showers every day.  They were just enjoying the space that they had paid for in the way they wanted to, without realizing how that would feel to their hosts.

Zippered pillow covers are great and keep bed bugs and other nasties out of the pillows.

Kerrin

Robert78
Level 10
Suzhou, China

Yep, I agree with @City-Limits-Ranch0: kick them in the private parts, yet remain stoic/neutral publicly. Stained pillows aren't a big deal. Add an extra pillowcase or buy a few pillow protectors from Ikea for a few quid 😉