Should I refund a cancelled reservation, my policy is strict

Lawrence0
Level 1
New York, NY

Should I refund a cancelled reservation, my policy is strict

The guest is cancelling 48 hours into the booking and for Thanksgiving week, one of the busiest of the year in America from which he has taken 4 or 5 days away from renting ability form the calendar.  Furthermore, the guest is a citizen of the UK claiming visa issues and UK citizens do not need visas if they are travelling to the US for less than 90 days.  He was quibbling about the pricing too as though he doesnt realize this is all automated and he in the real estate industry, so I have a good feeling he knows exactly how this works, is no idiot and is having buyer's remorse and wants to cancel so I think he is lying.  

YOUR FEEDBACK IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.  THANK YOU VERY Much..

2 Replies 2
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

@Lawrence0

It sounds to me like you have already decided what you want to do, and just need some moral support in that decision. I back your feeling that you should not refund this guest over and above the amount they would get through your cancellation policy, which in this case, would be just the refund of any cleaning fee, since you have strict policy.  

What many hosts do, is they will offer a cancelling guest an additional refund if and only if the host is able to rebook the nights that the guest has cancelled, in proportion to the number of nights rebooked, perhaps less an administrative fee for the time involved to do this extra work.  So if your guest booked 5 nights, and you manage to rebook 2 of those nights, you could give the guest a 2/5 refund of what you were paid for that guests' reservation, less any administrative fee you might want to charge for the your time.  You dont' need to offer this, but many hosts find it is a good compromise, because it can lead to a "win-win" situation where neither side loses out completely.

Of course, guests have to understand when they book that they are held to the cancellation policy they book under, but in practice what hosts  find is that some guests are happy with any cancellation policy, as long as it does not really apply to them!  Once they find that the rules/policies they agreed to, do ACTUALLY apply to them, some guests get bent out of shape.  It can be helpful for hosts to recommend that guests purchase travelers' insurance, which will compensate them if they need to cancel their trip.  

Yes, I agree with you.  I just asked him and he said he is an Aussie residing in the UK, neither of which need a visa.  He also said he boarded the plane but never went to NY as he was asked byHomeland Security in London, on th eplane to disembark and contact eh embassy.  He is conjeecturing there is a problem with his ESTA. Electronic System for Travel Authorization but that no reason was given and he was told to go to the embassy to pursue it further after requesting an emergency visa, again, which is not necessary for otravel under 90 days for Aussie or Brits. Makes no sense and he has no proof of anything he said.  If I can rebook I will give him 50% back.