Sleepless night here. Disgruntled guest now says we have bedbugs

Kevin1662
Level 2
Spruce Grove, Canada

Sleepless night here. Disgruntled guest now says we have bedbugs

Just about 6am and I haven’t slept a wink. 
We’ve been with Airbnb for only a couple months. 

yesterday I had a booking for 3 nights. A guy was coming in with two other guys on a business trip. They got here later than they told me, then the guy phones me and says that he wants to cancel the booking, that his job deal fell through. They’d stay the night and then leave in the morning. I told them I couldn’t cancel it as it had already started, but he could change his reservation through the app and I’d accept the changes. I heard nothing back from him. at least not until 9pm last night. He said one of his employees found bedbugs (no bites just a bug in the sheets) Yesterday morning and he didn’t have time to tell me until he got home (4 hour drive away).

He says he is reporting us. 
here’s the problem.  I honestly feel that he’s mad his job fell through, he’s out money for the Airbnb plus wages and Is looking to have the money refunded.  He didn’t know how to change his booking, apparently.  We went over and couldn’t find any traces of bedbugs in the room. 

I’ve been reading horror stories about bed bugs. I’m getting the place checked just to make sure, not wanting to be out $1000’s.  Will Airbnb make the guys have some proof to their claim? They have a picture but it’s not clear, plus the sheet it’s on doesn’t match the colour of our sheets.   

11 Replies 11
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

If I were you I'd find the most reputable exterminator in Edmonton, pay them to come over immediately, guests be damned, and document on video what they find. If you've got bedbugs that sucks but if not you want the ammunition against these guests. You might even be able to claim the cost of the inspection with the resolution center. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Kevin1662 take pictures of your sheets right now, immediately so the date stamp is today. I think this will be your main proof. Also, the rules are that they have to report it to you immediately and give you a chance to remedy. Press on that if you’re contacted by Airbnb. At this point don’t give this guy anything at all. Yes, I read those horror stories as well and hopefully the pictures will get you off the hook. If you are sure about the sheet color, I would consider sending him a message saying that the sheets are different, you have no bedbugs and if he goes forward with a complaint you will take him to court for business interference for the damages caused by his false statements. That might just come him down enough to get off your case. I would do that sooner rather than later before he makes any reports to Airbnb. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Jim472 he will not get the cost back. It is the cost of defense. 

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

@Inna22 what I was saying, in not so many words, was if the guests were making a fraudulent claim of bedbugs as described by @Kevin1662 with the bedsheets that don't match then it's in his rights to go to the resolution center to ask for costs. Sometimes airbnb covers them. Don't be so pessimistic. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Follow Inna's advice. Communicate with him through Airbnb only. Make it clear that those are not your sheets and where did those sheets come from?

Kevin1662
Level 2
Spruce Grove, Canada

Here’s an update. I called the exterminator, they came and gave my place a clean bill of health, no sign anywhere of bugs. 
I haven’t contacted the guest yet with the info. 
would I be able to pass the cost of the inspection on to him as it was totally a false accusation? Or do I just suck it up and say that’s the cost of business. 
I’m also wondering if I should contact Airbnb myself. 
advice? I don’t want them to cancel my upcoming bookings. 

@Kevin1662 

Very well done. How much did You pay for the inspection?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kevin1662 

For a couple of years there was a class of 'guest' who traveled with a supply of bedbugs that they would introduce into the property on the last day of their stay and then claim a full refund.

This lot of yours don't even sound bright enough to back it up, there are resorting to a casual statement!

Airbnb are onto this Kevin, it is now up to the guest to prove they are the victim, not the host!

Contact Airbnb immediately and explain the situation, keep all contact with the 'guest' in the message stream so there is a record of it. CX will want to site evidence of your exterminators visit and conclusions but, Kevin I can assure you they will go after this guy. Airbnb have been bitten too often by the bedbug ruse!

Get onto them straight away and get them on your side!

Good luck mate!

Cheers......Rob

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Kevin1662 I definitely would not call the Airbnb if nothing was reported by guest. And unfortunately I don’t think you can claim the expenses as this was your choice  to do this. Airbnb would not pay for it and if you try to ask the guest, I think at this point you will just provoke him further

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Deny, obfuscate, and attack. 

For starters, ignore. Let time answer your questions.

If guest produces "picture proof" point out that is not your bed, not your sheets...

Ask airbnb to prove the metadata of the picture (date, location, phone number...)

proving that it is a picture from your house.

Hopefully, you have the guests' sob story on the app showing the guests' desire to get out of the agreement AND your willingness to approve shortening their stay.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kevin1662  as others have said - this is a well-known scam.

Do the reverse image search on google and you may find the same picture he showed you on the internet