Social distance

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Social distance

All my rooms are booked now. Because of "corona-crisis" actually it surprises me.

But my guests are generally young people (students) and the new semester just started.

But there is still the "social distance" rule. None of the (BTW nice)  guests seems to be bothered about that, nor inside or outside the house.

What is your experience and how to promote the "social distance" rule without acting as a policeman ?

30 Replies 30
Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Emiel1  And how can you stand next to guests around the clock and see if they violate social rules? No way!)

Emiel1
Level 10

@Anna9170 

Example:

I myself do not live in same house as the guests, but i (or another person) am regurarly there to perform housekeeping tasks.

Today a guest wanted to share some pictures on mobile phone with me. So approaches me too close, which i do not appreciate, but do not want to be rude also....

Best regards,

Emiel

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Emiel1 
I meet guests in a mask, at the entrance to the apartment there is a dispenser sanitizer. As a gift to the guest, I make masks and a small individual sanitizer , this is enough for contacts, I do not want to enter into discussions here, whether this is the right way.)))

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Emiel1  @Anna9170 

Like wise I greet guests with wearing a mask, but the day before they arrive I send a message which all have respected.

"Hello

I am writing with regard to your forth coming stay with us and wish to remind of the following;

Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), wearing a face mask is mandatory in all indoor areas.

Where possible please respect social distancing.

Additional safety and sanitation measures are in effect at this property:

Hand sanitation located in Porch.

Further hand sanitation is available in your room, as well as disinfection wipes and spray.

We look forward to Welcoming you to Petersfield

Kind regards
Chris

"

Emiel1
Level 10

@Anna9170 

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emiel1  Well, I'd prefer to be perceived as rude rather than expose myself to a deadly virus just because a clueless guest wanted to show me something on their phone. 

But it doesn't have to be rude, just say something like "No offense, but I take the social distancing precautions re COVID very seriously. Maybe you could email me what you want to show me on your phone?"

Unfortunately, young people being lackadaisical about the virus is a big issue in many places. They seem to think they're invulnerable, even though there have been many young people, otherwise healthy, who have died from COVID or gotten infected and ended up with chronic health issues. Young people are the major vectors for infection now. It's like they have to infect their grandma and have her die before they "get it".

I know you need to earn money, but by renting out shared homes to people who aren't taking the recommended precautions, you are contributing to the virus spread, even though you yourself are being responsible.

Have you considered renting out the places as entire homes, to one set of guests, rather than unrelated people?

Emiel1
Level 10

@Sarah977 

In my region "Corona" is not a big issue, there are (and have been) not many cases. We do not wear face masks, only in public transport it is mandatory. But there are national rules, like the social distance, do not shake hands etc..). I see young people (as my guests also) are not bothered by it. It is simply not on their mind ! Since "corona" i only accept guests from nearby safe countries like Germany. I refuse guests from "unsafe" countries like Spain, Bulgaria etc.. But people from those countries still sent booking request or inquiries, while knowing (i hope...) they are violating rules or expose themself or other people to risk !

As most of my guests are staying for several weeks or even months, it is almost same as renting out entire house to same persons.

My concern is the lack of awareness of the "Covid"-rules and i feel it is not my task as a host to educate people on this.

Best regards,

Emiel

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

To be honest in Western Europe there are really no such thing as safe countries @Emiel1 . There may be low numbers in your area but that is certainly not the case in the rest of Holland or what you call 'safe' countries like Germany where sadly cases are on the rise again and  you have thousands from the far right, gathering in large numbers and taking to the streets to protest against Germany's regulations to protect the public from the spread of the virus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53959552

The sad fact is that I don't think you can safely offer accommodation if you are letting multiple unconnected guests share your listing and the sort of people you are attracting to stay in this type of accommodation aren't likely to respect social distancing. Unfortunately, there is no way that your guests will be able to socially distance safely unless they have their own bathrooms and don't share any communal facilities or areas.

Like Sarah my advice would be to offer your place as a whole listing rather than having un-connected guests staying with the risk of the spread of infection.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Write with texta on a t-shirt "one and a half metres please " @Emiel1 

Emiel1
Level 10

@Sandra126 

Thanks for the tip.

I have seen people wearing those shirts (you can buy them also), but still grouping to close together....

BTW

Some countries, like UK, socal distance rules vary on where you live.... hope  they sell the right shirts  !

added : https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-52054844

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's because the UK is not a country @Emiel1  🙂 It is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The individual countries that make up the UK; Wales, Scotland and England, the Channel Islands and the province that is Northern Ireland  have their own governments who make policies and pass legislation and that applies to corona virus legislation as it does to education, health, housing, finance etc.

Emiel1
Level 10

@Helen3 

Thank for education, i know what UK means. But yes, it explains why rules are different.

From The Netherlands we usually see our opposite the North Sea living neighbours as the "country" UK or GB. (in Dutch : VK = Verenigd Koninkrijk). Or even more common (but incorrect): England ! (when we mean whole UK).

"Friend: We made a trip to England.  Me: nice, which city ? friend: Edinborough"

A lot of foreign people address The Netherlands as "Holland". But Holland is just 2 counties: South Holland and North Holland. Sometimes a "commonly used name" is formally not addressing the same as the "official name", but every knows what you mean..

Kind regards,

Emiel

@Emiel1  I'm not sure what your criteria are of what constitutes a "safe" country or region. Germany, for example, has reported almost 15 times more cases than Bulgaria and appears to be a bit more on the trajectory toward a resurgence.  It's been months since it made any sense to make assumptions based on national origin.

But at any rate, you could parse the numbers all day and try to strategize your risk, but you still have to be "right" every time; the virus only has to be right once. The fundamental question I would have to ask is - if one person in your household happens to be infectious, would your current measures be sufficient for preventing spread to yourself and others? 

Emiel1
Level 10

@Anonymous 

We rely on what Dutch Authorities present as "safe" countries (no restrictons to travel to or from).

At this moment for Germany no restrictions, but for Bulgaria, Roemenia, Croata, Spain etc..restrictions.

As educational institutes like univerities etc.  in The Netherlands opened recently again for new semester, international students arrived also again in last weeks. They always live in shared spaces like on the campus, student houses, affordable Airbnb accommodation, etc..Offcourse we try to limit risks were posible. But the guests (well educated people aged between 20 en 25) are not that serious about it.

It is simply not on their mind. BTW i do not live in same house as guests live.