Sounds like Spam :)

Ralph102
Level 3
Chula Vista, CA

Sounds like Spam :)

Hey group,

Well I got this pre-approval request today:

"Planning to shop while in SD area in preparation for annual trip south for the summer. Return after 4-5 months. Have a need to store packages and receive them via Fedex, USPS and USPS and Amazon. Usu. stay at a hotel in Chula Vista area. Vehicle is an F350 pickup. Est. two weeks. House looks quite nice.
Bill"

I had to laugh.  First, the account it came from has the name "Willard" and only the email was verified with Airbnb.  This really sounds like a way for someone to purchase goods with a stolen credit card, then have them delivered somewhere he can get them without any verification.

I declined the pre-approval request however politely told him if he wants to stay with us for those two weeks that's fine - he can instant book provided he  updates his profile with both a photo and have Airbnb verify his ID.  I also told him we check IDs upon arrival and after his stay, we are not responsible for any vehicle or packages left or received later.  I doubt I'll hear from him again.

We're new hosts so seeing what kind of spam or cons come our way is quite amusing. 

Have you guys received similar requests?  I'm curious what other BS requests we can expect to see 🙂

- Ralph 

4 Replies 4
Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Ralph102 Did you report this profile to Airbnb as spam? If not, please do so, as someone may be taken in. Can only imagine what is being shipped. If it is stolen goods and drugs, the property owner could be legally liable nd what a mess that would be. 

@Rebecca160 yes I had a chat with Airbnb's support about it.  Mainly, I wanted to know how much it would adversely affect me if I declined the pre-approval request.  I will also go back and make sure the profile is flagged.  I suppose next a Nigerian Prince will want to drop-ship some pallets of cash for me to hold onto 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ralph102  Just a few weeks ago a host wrote in here to say that a booked guest who said he needed to have a couple of boxes shipped received several crates of guns and ammunition. She immediately contacted Airbnb, who seemed unconcerned. She then contacted the FBI who were extremely interested and showed up to view and confiscate the armaments, taking down all the information she had about the guest. The FBI of course contacted Airbnb for full info on this "guest"., at which point Airbnb suddenly acted concerned. Turns out he was a gun dealer and wasn't allowed to receive shipments in his state, so figured he'd have them sent to the Airbnb host.

Good thing you headed this one off at the pass.

Dennis264
Level 6
Juneau, AK

This could be a setup for a drug  drop on your property.