Stated Check in method - advice?

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Stated Check in method - advice?

Hi all,

this really isn't urgent but would be really interested to get insights and advice from experienced hosts

Have been hosting about 7 months now.

We have a keypad with a code as a method of entry to our vacation rental.

I ( or sometimes my husband) try very hard to be there for checkin,  but we went into airbnb knowing that there would be times when we couldn't be there 

So,  knowing that, when it came to checkin method, I elected to select "check yourself in with a keypad" in the policies house rules section,  

In the interaction with guests section though, I say that where possible we WILL be there to briefly meet and greet, then leave

When someone books, I am  say again that we will be there to quickly  meet and greet, and finally I say so again when I send directions etc 2 days before checkin.

But of course, as we all know an awful lot of guests don't read any of this.

It's gradually dawned on me that quite a lot of my guests haven't WANTED to be "met and gret" and when they've realised this is occurring - ususally the day before or the day or arriving when they finally read their message  - and some of them haven't realised at all - I think a few of them have been a bit surly.

this is for two reasons

1, they are planning to sneak extra people in, and think it will be easy to do with self check in ( happened twice so far)

2. They really just dont' want to be bothered talking to anyone. It's all too much hassle.

I LIKE to be there for check in - I'm usually there cleaning anyway, and I think it's better for guests to see a real face and a real person instead of faceless emails. More likley to take care is my reasoning. And I like to meet who's staying in my home.

So, here's the point.   I'm beginning to serioulsy consider changing checkin method to "host will be there to greet you" or whatever it is. 

I'll note in various places in the listing  that there MAY be times I can't be, and that a keypad will need to be used rigth from the very start. 

When a  guest books I should be able to let them know almost immediately if I can't be there - so if they're not comfortable  they can cancel within 48 hour grace period.

I'm thinking I may attract a different sort of guest? ( ones that are less self focussed!)

I also think a guest that is expecting to meet the host is more likley to keep an eye on messages etc (well, I live in hope)

I"ve more or less convinced myself to give this a try,  but thought I'd reach out to the community first.

Is there some catch to this that I haven't forseen?  what do you think?

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

Rowena

5 Replies 5
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Rowena29 I hope you are well!

I use the method you're thinking of changing to.

I am here to meet and greet in person (both my own listing and my co-hosted ones) but if there is an overlap or I can't be home then I let the guests know that I will set up self-check in for them- I don't advertise it in the listings, and they are always fine with it!

I do offer them to swing by later on if they would like me to (no one has ever needed me to), and if they self check in at my private room listing, I see them at some point anyway.

Reviews and star ratings are never lower when I don't meet and greet in person- my self check in and manual that I send guests before they arrive is very detailed and foolproof really.

I think this offers the flexibility you need....if guests book knowing they will be meeting a person, then doing self check in isn't a big deal, but if they book expecting NOT to see anyone and then they have to, I can see where this could create an issue 🙂

Paul.

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for your detailed answer - really appreciate it.

Re your last line -if guests expect a person but get self check in not a problem, but NOT expecting to see someone and they have to)  - I went into this thinking the complete opposite - a real person to greet was an improvment  on a faceless self check in.   

I live 90 mins away from my listing so can't swing by later ( well not unless there's a real emergency) but I think that's likely to be a minimal issue - as you have experienced.

Time to alter my listing I think.

Will be really interesting to see if there is a discernible shift in attitude and manner in most of the guests....

Many thanks again

Rowena

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Rowena29 you're welcome!

The reality of the situation is that what you do in practice isn't actually going to change, but rather the way you advertise it and they way you manage guest expectations.

You may see a change in the type of guest who books, and for sure I think you'll see a change in the temperament of your guests- you hopefully will have less surly ones 🙂

If you have concerns or worries about numbers of guests matching your reservation/knowing when guests arrive and so on, think about a camera doorbell or similar. I installed a Ring branded doorbell- it's great to see when guests get the key from the keybox and make it through the front door, and if they have any issues I can speak to them through it from wherever I am. And if you have unexpected extra guests you have video evidence to prove it!

Paul 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rowena29  I think you're doing what works for you and is a good deterent to the sneaking extra people in or throwing a party. They know there's someone keeping an eye on things and impresses on them that it's your home, not just just some impersonal rental unit with an absentee, faceless landlord.

If guests are the type that resent or don't want be bothered to exchange a few words with a host, that's just too bad for them- they should have booked a hotel room (where they'd still have to talk to reception.)

Hi  @Paul1255  @Sarah977 

Sarah I couldn't agree more - it's just taken me a little while hosting to come to this realisation.

It just never occurred to me there would be people that would resent having to meet you when they were using the platform! and yes I agree if that's their attitude, use a hotel ( or at least not my home) A

Paul  - we do have a security cameras - we didn't right away, but it was always the plan. (Just time and money restricting us initially).  We now we have one installed that takes in the whole driveway, sides of the house and approach to the front door. We have it set to motion so it's only activated by movement instead of running 24/7.

(The only downside to the video is that, between guests,   often one of us goes up to clean or continue landscapting or renovating, and my husband can now see from the time stamps I actually was away shopping for 3 hours not the 1.5 I might have otherwise claimed!!!!!)

I've already changed the check in method and FYI for you and anyone else reading here are some immediate  pros and cons:

INSTEAD of 'check yourself in with a keypad" being in the subtitle under the heading,  along with the  "entire house" 'sparkling clean" and "super host" icons and comments, I now have

Great location
“Amazing views, bedrooms, beaches, restaurants and grocery stores nearby!” - Jasmine"

Which  I'm thrilled about. I think for my particular listing is a much more valuable asset.   

The con is that I am no longer listed on the work collective as I've removed the self check in option.

(By the by this is yet another  flaw in the system:  just because I've selected I'll be there to greet guests doens't mean they CAN'T self check in with a keypad - the two shouldnt' be mutually exclusive)

The removal from the work collective might be a concern for some listings, but as my home is in a beach vacation area, I'd rather forgo the work collective and keep the location marker in the sub heading.  And besides, I'm not convinced THAT many people would use the work collective as a filter  when searching anyway.  

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and for your insights!   (Fingers crossed the nature of the guest changes. I've had a bellyful of self entitled princesses.)

Many thanks