Stolen Toilet Rolls

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

Stolen Toilet Rolls

Lately, and strangely, I've had a series of guests who have helped themselves to toilet rolls. I know because I am good at eyeballing my supply and they've also left some out -- those they couldn't stuff into their luggage, I'm assuming.

I know that this is not a huge deal, but it's pretty clear that the toilet paper that's in the unit is for the unit and not for taking home. I know that I could keep the rolls elsewhere and just bring in enough for each set of guests, but quite frankly, that's just another task to add to a long list of tasks I already have and I like the convenience of having certain supplies in the unit.

I mentioned the "theft" in one review and the family was upset--I also mentioned they'd left dirty dishes scattered around--and the woman who booked kept contacting me to ascertain that the cleaning fee should have covered the dishes...so I explained the ins and outs of the cleaning fee, but also kept mentioning the toilet paper and how irritating is was to find some rolls missing. She never addressed the toilet paper issue.

I'm just venting here, but it's so irritating to discover guests have done this...it just adds to my work in terms of having to do more shopping, topping up of supplies, etc., and I'm wondering if anyone else has mentioned this in a review. I feel like I may be being a bit petty, but it's the work involved in keeping my unit in supplies that bothers me more than anything. I just find that taking items like toilet rolls is disrespectful. 

Thanks for letting me vent. 

20 Replies 20
Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Eileen4, That's ok you are welcome. The damage is done once guests leave, and perhaps as hosts our energies are best directed at the future. eg.

1. Private feedback is a great way to make a few diplomatic comments or enquiries to train up the guest so they behave a little better at the next Airbnb.
  2. Honest but diplomatic reviews are a good thing because other hosts rely on them. However a big permanent public outing over matters that are not actual vandalism or malicious intent, may be a bit harsher for the offence than needed. 
  3. Some guests need a bit of extra education to realise that a bnb is not the sort of place where you gather up freebies to remove from the premises. 
  4. Some people still think of the goodies in your home as similar to if they were at a big 5star hotel. They enjoy tucking away a few " complimentary " items as it sames them time and money on their holiday.  
  5. Yep, it's more time and money from you. 

I am confident you will be receiving lots of tips about how to manage these souvenier hunters #: )

Stick an extra roll on the bed with a note to say it's their lucky door prize/bonus roll......Free to good home... 

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I've had the same frustration! One of my first sets of guests took ALL the little shampoos, soaps, and toothbrushes I had on hand, along with every roll of TP that was out. Another group took about $15 worth of k-cups (but only used a couple coffee cups).

I did change my process a bit after that - I have a supply that should last them during their stay, then the rest is "locked" in a cabinet with a zip tie. If they run out of something, I can tell them to cut the zip tie & get what they need, but nobody has been ballsy enough to break in there without asking me beforehand.

It's probably less than 10% of guests that do it. I don't know why - but I hope that stealing all the disposables that aren't tied down make them feel they got a better "Value" that will show up in my ratings 😉

I've thought of getting a lockable footlocker and putting in one of the bedrooms...but I have a high-end place and somehow having a locked cabinet just doesn't fit with the setting. Saying that, I just made the same discovery just this morning (which I wasn't expecting, yet again!).

They said there would be 4 people and in 4 nights they went through 5 double rolls of TP and an entire package of new napkins (120 per package). The napkins weren't cheap--they are high quality--and one package typically lasts me for 4 to 6 visits, depending on the number of guests per visit.

I dunno. I think a bit public outing is fair enough here. I think I'm going to say something like "They went through an extraordinary amount of paper products." 

When I initially read your message, I thought "what terrible guests!" Then I thought about it, and how much my guests have generally consumed so far.  Four guests having gone through 5 double rolls in 4 days actually falls in line with what my guests generally consume. Especially if you have people who wear makeup - I would rather they use up the toilet paper than soil the towels!  I provide 1 roll per 2 people per day, and they always use almost if not all of it.  So if I had 4 people 4 days I would predict a usage of about 2 rolls per day, 8 rolls.  Your guests used 5 double rolls, the equivalent of 10 rolls.  Not so bad.  Paper products like nice napkins on the other hand, I would deal out 3 per day per guest.  Sponges, dishwasher pellets, laundry detergent, coffee, etc.  I give them enough to get them through, and keep the rest in a private part of the house. I also provide them with a map marked with the address of a nearby little grocery store, just in case they need more of anything. 

This is hilarious! I have never dealt with this in 5 years until this week. Here is that guest's review: 

Bummed because they seemed so nice and so proactive about asking specifics about the house rules. But only 3 hours after we discussed my rules (about smoking/ vaping marijuana or any drug use in my home) I could smell it very powerfully upstairs. Really?!? And why take the remaining toilet paper? Souvenir? Too bad they were so blatantly disrespectful about my rules because otherwise they left the space in good shape and they would have had a far far better review. : (

June 2016

Needless to say, the toiletries was the least of the insulting behaviors here but I felt it would be helpful to let future hosts know and, at that point, didn't mind embarrassing them a little bit. 

I do keep the extra tp elsewhere for the most part so they only had two extra rolls available to steal.

I did have guests take an entire large bag of coffee beans so now I only provide enough for their stay in a glass jar in the fridge.

Well, I did wonder if I was over-reacting...I think the napkins kinda threw me off.

I have a high-end-ish kind of place. There have been times when I've done as suggested--just put out enough supplies for the exact amount of stay. But some guests notice and, because it looks a bit cheap, I've gotten lesser reviews from them. That, or they come right out and contact me for something, like a toilet roll at 10:30 at night. 

I really was just venting. The thought of counting out supplies isn't one I'm up for. I'm too busy. A locked cabinet may just be the way to go. 

Locked cuboard is the way to go.  Mine is discreet and has a padlock - I can give them the number if necessary.  In saying that some people use alot of toilet paper.  I know from when my sons and family come and stay at home.  I really don't kow what they use if for but there you have it - they use a ton of tp.  If my airbnb guests leave the bathroom tidy, I don't care if they take the extra toilet rolls!

I like Allison's idea of a zip tie.  Hadn't thought of that! 

@Lisa36 I think it's a case of critical mass. I have a more modest Air and for both my upmarket and it, I bought 2 huge boxes of TP. Even though the modest one sleeps less, I'm right out of TP. My upmarket one sleeps more and yet half of the box is still there. So you see, I've been dealing with a heck of a lot of pilfering lately and emotionally it was just adding up. I'm officially resentful. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I leave the laundry locked these days, so I can keep a space to myself for extras. Wine, towels, toiletpaper etc. No laundry access! If someone asks, I can let them use it but most of my guets are short stays.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I just had a similar thing happen to me. I don't believe it was the guest, but the friend or family member that came to pick them up at check-out, to go to her house in my area.

I usually leave enough of a supply for my guests for the duration of the stay, plus one extra refill.

This person took every toilet roll, a complete roll of paper towels, an almost full roll of trash bags, wrapped soap, and a package of moist towelettes. Emptied the refrigerator and the snack basket, too.

I found the friend/family member wandering around in my back yard, ostensibly looking for the trash bins. Really, if she is from the city, she should know they are in the alley.

Nothing of real value was missing, though, but I feel I should change the codes on the entry, and be glad I'm not missing sheets and towels too.

I'm so glad they did not have access to the whole house !

To add to my post above : I found out when I went to change linens that they also took a brand-new 6 piece sheet set, still in  original packaging, as well as a blanket off the bed , concealing the theft by replacing  with a different one of my blankets, and making up the bed.

Case opened with Airbnb.

Luckily, reviews can still be edited within 48 hours. I'm putting the full story there.

Super frustrating

Just had a similar incident.

We had extra 24 toilet rolls put away in the storage cupboard and a new bottle of laundry detergent for the guest, they stayed a total of one week

The guests cleared us out of all the toilet rolls AND our laundry detergent.

Im not sure how to address it in the reviews to be honest. While it's not really a theft and at the end of the day it's just toilet paper and laundry detergent, it is really irritating that we now need to bring extra toilet paper in for every check in to avoid a similar issue.

@HengandKaren0, I think that IS theft. 24 rolls is a lot of rolls - you'd need a suitcase or large bag and thus some premeditation.  I'd definitely call them out on it! Plus the laundry detergent - you are kind enough to let them use the laundry (which I don't....) and they abuse you in this way.  I'd definitely call them out and warn other hosts! Something along the lines of "apparent confusion about the boundaries between reasonable use of consumables e.g. toilet rolls and laundry detergent while staying in the unit, and appropriating them for their own use at a later date" or some such oblique but clear wording. 

It really is theft though. If I were to go to Walmart and take all 24 rolls of toilet paper I would be arrested.