Sudden rush of guest cancellations

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Sudden rush of guest cancellations

I would just like to make an observation and see if this is just an anomaly which I am currently experiencing or if it is part of a general trend amongst hosts.

In 3.5 years of hosting, over 350 stays I only ever had 3 guest cancellations!

Since Halloween at the end of October I have had 5. That is 5 guest cancellations for November. I had 2 in one day!

Cancelation 1.png

Previously there has always been a reason for the cancellation but in three of those this month there has been no reason, just, ‘please cancel’ or no explanation at all,  just a cancellation email notice from Airbnb.

I am wondering if events in San Francisco at the end of October have heightened the level of mistrust in Airbnb and in Airbnb hosts. Nothing else has changed here, I haven’t copped any poor reviews.

Are any other hosts experiencing this?

Cheers......Rob

45 Replies 45

@Suzanne302  That's interesting.  I very rarely do those big research type searches, since we have 3,000 listings just in Jersey City.

Maybe airbnb's bad PR is finally catching up?  Between the most recent shooting and the several years of anti airbnb regulations, etc. as well as the VICE type of stuff, although that story got surprisingly little traction, but in any case, possibly some number of travelers are deciding that a regular B&B or a hotel is a more hassle free choice.  We often actually don't use airbnbs when traveling when we won't be cooking or hanging out much and don't want to worry about the details.