Swimming in lake help

Jaye6
Level 2
Katrine, Canada

Swimming in lake help

I have been hosting for well over a year and love it! My property attracts families with children and young couples with their friends. I live on a lake and they all use my dock, swim etc. However my current small family (mum, dad are super young) and there 3 very young kids have presented a new type of problem. I state in my House Rules and all over my listing : Swim/play at your own risk etc. But this young couple are basically just staying in the cottage while their kids roam all over the rocks on the shore, swim unattended, are by themselves on the dock. It is causing me a great deal of stress as I feel I have to life guard virtually as the parents are not! They have come completely unprepared for this landscape and the baby does not have a life jacket or even water wings. Anyway, how shall I word this now in my listing because I want to now say “look after your kids!” And a lake is a dangerous place!!

4 Replies 4
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I feel the same way, a few of my guests with kids just seemed apathetic towards them but I ease my conscience with the following blurbs in my house rules...

Policies
House Rules
Not safe or suitable for children (0-12) and pets - No safety features, sharp, pokey and glass items at a child eye level, sizable drop if falling off the balcony, no pool lifeguard.

Children / infants should be looked after. I list my condo as not suitable for the reasons listed but if you feel confident that you can ensure their safety then I don't have a problem with you assuming responsibility for them. 

Nikki39
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

@Jim472 I also have on my listing, not suitable for 0 -2 but tbh it is Ok for non-mobile babies and not for toddlers 3 - 5  (or older) if unsupervised. Not sure Airbnb have the age group suitabilities right.

I like you, do detail that it is not suitable because , no stair gate, unguarded heater, kettle at accessible level etc. and again " must be supervised at all times" - and that is without a pool, dock etc.

Being near open water and children not being supervised who also terrify me @Jaye6  (I do open water swim and the dangers are real!).

I don't have instant book and I question parents of children more before accepting the booking. I have had several children stay and the parents have been great and the odd decor in my home has kept the children amused. The set up is a good family room for well supervised/behaved children and I would like to welcome more but it is scary.

I make it very clear that I expect adults to be responsible for their children and the potential problems but I do still worry about accidents happening - it is natural too (I did work in A&E too though).

Jaye6
Level 2
Katrine, Canada

Thank you so much for these suggestions! Im going to implement some of them now!

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Jaye6: You can get any kind of custom signage made with the powers of the internet. I would look into having a sign or a couple signs made to put at the entry of your dock and maybe even inside your guest space. Maybe something like "Children need to be accompanied by an adult at all times by waters edge".

We have a pool in our yard and that is enough for us not to allow children under 12. Best of luck.